Equal Access to High-Quality Education Moves Our World Forward
At Cadmus, we believe every student should have equal opportunity to achieve academic excellence; that’s why we’re changing how the world learns!
Cadmus is a global EdTech company purposefully built for the higher education sector to break down global learning barriers by providing educators and diverse student cohorts with access to high-quality learning and assessment. Built on rich, student-centric values, Cadmus empowers individuals to achieve their highest potential and graduate with the critical skills and knowledge to profoundly impact our workforces, communities, and evolving world.
A Bold Plan for Global Impact
At Cadmus, we’re working hard in pursuit of an ambitious, world-shaping goal: to provide 1 billion students with access to high-quality education by 2050.
That’s why we need a Data Engineering superstar to join our team and help us maintain a high-quality experience for our users worldwide — ensuring our cloud platform is reliable, performant and set up to scale. We want to do everything we can to ensure our users enjoy their experience and love our platform. With countless opportunities to make an impact, you’ll help us solve exciting engineering challenges and deliver improved functionality to take Cadmus even further.
About the role
As a Cadmus Data Engineer, you’ll be working across multiple engineering disciplines to build and scale our data pipeline, as well as develop our data strategy and approach across teams. You will set up ETL/ELT pipelines within AWS and write data processing systems collecting and delivering data to all parts of the Cadmus platform. You will set up modern data tools and services within our infrastructure. You will develop a deep insight into the use of data across the platform and have strong ownership of the data thinking within the company. You will empower non-engineering and engineering teams to derive valuable insights from data.
This is a truly unique opportunity to help shape our technology stack, infrastructure, and processes and contribute to the culture of data engineering at Cadmus.
About our current tech
- AWS cloud infrastructure with data pipelines, Kinesis streaming, S3 lake, Redshift warehouse, etc.
- AWS Lambda ELT functions in Typescript and Rust.
- Elixir backend and React (Typescript) front-end applications.
- Various Elixir, Typescript (NodeJS), Rust, and Haskell services provide critical and non-critical functionality to the product and data pipelines.
We also use and love to experiment with other languages for various tooling to ensure we find the best tool for the job. If you want to know more about what it’s like to be a developer at Cadmus, check out our blog post.
We want to hear from engineers passionate about building cloud data pipelines with modern data tools. We are looking for engineers who take a principled approach to data and its use within the Product and the Company. You are able to break down data silos and democratise access to the data in a way that helps everyone around you make smarter decisions. At the same time, your technical understanding and skills in the data engineering world are immaculate and stem from empirical experience.
You thrive working in a team, love end-to-end ownership, obsess over details, and use data to help make the best choices for the wider business. You are an outstanding problem solver; you have the ability to take inputs from different stakeholders and come up with outstanding solutions. You are highly organised and can easily and joyfully manage large projects, and large volumes of data points.
In this role you'll:
- Architect and develop cloud-based (AWS) data systems that ingest data from across the Cadmus Platform and have ELT, warehouse and lake analysis capabilities.
- Work on and expand the Cadmus Learning Analytics product offering.
- Shape how every team gets access to the data and empower them to make data-based decisions with the best tools in hand.
- Progressively develop our data strategy with Higher-Ed University Stakeholders, Company value proposition, and internal teams in mind.
- Write SQL-like warehouse transformations via DBT, and other ETL scripts.
- Play an active role in designing and improving the overall data architecture to support massive growth in users and products across the globe.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- 4+ years of industry experience in building data engineering pipelines and teams at the growth stage.
- A solid understanding of the AWS offerings in the data space, as well as open-source and other proprietary product offerings for a modern data stack.
- Solid knowledge of SQL, and great experience with multiple languages in your tool belt.
- Knowledge of computer science fundamentals, data structures and design patterns, and an ability to use them practically when implementing solutions.
- Excellent communication skills and soft skills which bridge technical and strategic verticals. You can easily and effectively communicate data to different stakeholders across the business.
- High levels of team empathy. You love working within a focused team and can bring everyone along in the data journey.
We'd really love to hear from you if you have:
- Startup DNA; you’re flexible, comfortable with ambiguity, and have experience scaling systems to support rapid growth.
- Experience with Redshift and DBT, and various dash-boarding products.
- Experience with Functional Programming languages.
What's great about working at Cadmus?
- A remote-friendly, flexible working culture; where you can work from any global location
- Learning allowances; because we don’t just have words on a website, we genuinely do what we say and provide educational opportunities to all (including the Cadmus team)
- A diverse and inclusive workplace where there are no barriers to anyone succeeding
- A surrounding team of mission-driven individuals who genuinely love what they do
- Equity incentives; that way, we all share in the success of Cadmus
- Mentoring and succession planning for your career
- Pats from Homer, our resident (and super cute) dog!
We're a remote-friendly company, and this role is open to candidates in Jakarta or remote from anywhere in Indonesia as long as you have a good internet connection.
Apply online with your resume only.
Instead of a cover letter, we’d love for you to answer a few questions alongside your application.
Our interview process is normally a recruiter interview, a hiring manager interview, a programming task, and 2-3 hours of onsite interviews that will be held via Zoom.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting cadmus.io or following our social channels.
Inclusivity at Cadmus
At Cadmus, we hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital, or disability status. If you share our values and enthusiasm for education, you will find a home at Cadmus.
If you need assistance or accommodations made due to a disability, please let us know.