DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a teacher in need, moving us closer to a nation where students in every community have the tools and experiences they need for a great education.
Since 2000, more than 5 million people and partners have contributed $1 billion to support 2 million teacher requests for classroom resources and experiences. Projects range from art supplies to build the set for a school musical, to books and puzzles that affirm students’ identities, to bird seed for an at-home science project. We proudly serve all US public schools, public charter schools, and Head Start centers, and we combat systemic inequity by driving a majority of donations to schools that have been historically underfunded due to economic and racial inequity.
DonorsChoose has been recognized as a best place to work by GOOD Magazine and the Nonprofit Times, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our dedicated team works from across the United States bring classroom dreams to life.
About the People & Talent Team
The People and Talent team strives to make DonorsChoose the best nonprofit to work for, respected internally and externally for delivering a best-in-class people experience and cultivating a diverse, inclusive, and mission-driven team. We work to ensure our staff can remain laser-focused on advancing the DonorsChoose mission by delivering a positive, productive, safe, and equitable employee lifecycle experience. Ultimately, we want our number one draw for talent to be that there is no better place they could work to do more for teachers and students in public education.
What You'll Do
The People Analytics & Operations Manager is an essential member of the People & Talent team and provides ongoing support on a wide array of data systems and people operations. This role will collect, analyze and aggregate people data and metrics and apply these insights to support the team in making recommendations for our talent strategy and goals. Additionally, the people analytics manager oversees day-to-day operations support, including tracking and organizing vendor contracts, solving or routing escalated employee inquiries to the appropriate person, and being the expert to staff and the Talent team on HRIS systems. We are eager to find someone who can efficiently build relationships across multiple teams and quickly pivot to accommodate the changing nature of the workplace.
In the first 6-12 months, you will begin to:
- Manage a people operations associate primarily responsible for providing operations and admin support to the Talent team, responding to and solving HR queries, and providing user support for HRIS systems as needed
- Begin to understand current operating systems and formulate a strategy for improving and standardizing operations systems, processes and best practices
- Understand our people systems, the data available to us, and how we currently use these systems to inform our work
- Develop a system for compiling and aggregating data and ideating on the most effective methods for sharing data insights to inform strategic planning
- Become familiar with our HR vendors and contractual terms
- Learn how we do People and Talent work and cultivate and manage relationships across an array of teams and employees
Beyond 12 months, you will:
- Continue supporting the priorities above and collect and compile HR metrics and data from various sources, including the HRIS and payroll outputs, management and employee surveys, exit interviews, competitors' practices, and other sources.
- Provide a people analytics vision, strategy, and approach for scalable, efficient, and automated processes that enable simple and complex data analysis
- Lead HR projects using advanced data modeling and analysis techniques to discover insights that will help guide strategic decisions and uncover optimization opportunities
- Oversee the design of reports that communicate insights to internal stakeholders, and influence teams to implement solutions and take actions that have a measurable impact
- Support People team members with translating talent and operating issues into questions and hypotheses that can be tested with data
- Identify opportunities to scale for repeatable HR and operations questions through frameworks and dashboards
- Help drive organization-wide training and adoption of self-service tools
- Respond to complicated employee queries related to HR systems and functions with a strong service-oriented mindset
- Evolve and streamline our HR support and information systems
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Expert knowledge and experience working with people data and analytics with ademonstrated ability to align technology to improve performance
- Experience connecting what’s happening in the organization to data and explaining data findings and impact on operations and outcomes
- Strong critical thinking and excellent problem-solving skills to respond to a range of challenging HR questions
- A demonstrated commitment to advancing racial equity and centering the perspectives of those most impacted in decision-making, including experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Strategic, cross-functional thinking with a strong bias for action and implementation
- People management experience
- Exceptional relationship and trust building ability
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Compensation and Benefits
Our compensation philosophy ensures that we are both externally competitive with tech-forward nonprofits of a similar size and internally fair in our pay practices. The following ranges represent the target offer range, given the scope and experience expectations for this role.
- The hiring salary range for this role is $66,000 - $77,000
- We have a hiring salary range of $73,000 - $85,000 for specific higher cost of labor locations, which include New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, and Washington, D.C.
Once an employee is hired, the salary range for their role increases to ensure they can receive performance-based raises and grow in their role. We are open to various experiences and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced or more senior than this job description, as posted. If that’s the case, an updated salary range will be shared with candidates if they move forward in our hiring process.
In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Hybrid Workplace and Other Details
In this role, you’ll have the option to work a flexible hybrid schedule in our NYC office, or to work fully remotely from CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TX, or WI.
Candidates who are not in the NYC area should expect to travel to our NYC office on as-needed basis, about 4-6 times per year. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by the organization and proper safety precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
DonorsChoose is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to Tekia Stokes, Vice President, People & Talent.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.