Responsible for: Fundraising Manager & Administrative Officer
Responsible to: Chair of Trustees
Salary: £45,000 (pro rata 4 days (30 hours) per week)
Location: Aldern House, Bakewell & home working
About the Peak District National Park Foundation
We are a small charity with big ambitions. The Peak District National Park Foundation was established to raise funds to care for the Peak District National Park and make it more inclusive. Our vision is for a National Park that is enjoyed and conserved by everyone, forever.
Our Mission is to grow income and support to care for the Peak District National Park for everyone to enjoy forever.
Our aim is to raise funds and create a culture of philanthropy supporting the Peak District National Park.
We support activities which keep the Peak District special and make it a National Park for all. We connect people who care about the National Park and have the means to support it with the partners striving to care for this special place for everyone.
We want to see more land managed for wildlife, more rare habitats protected and more people able to enjoy the Peak District National Park
Our priorities are:
● Preparing for a future climate
● Conservation and habitat restoration
● A National Park for everyone
We work in partnership with the Peak District National Park Authority who cover our core operating costs so more of what we raise goes on delivering much needed projects in your National Park.
About the role
We are seeking an exceptional Director to lead our charity into the next stage of our journey. Our new Director will develop our strategic vision for the charity, whilst continuing to build on our fundraising priorities.
This is a really exciting role for someone to lead on developing our strategy and building partnerships and collaborations to continue to support our National Park.
This role will include managing a small team and working with the trustee board to ensure the charity meets its charitable objects and continues to build on the support for the Peak District.
What you will be doing /key responsibilities
● Support and guide the Chair and Board on all issues, including effective leadership and governance, working strategically with them to formulate organisational plans, policies and procedures.
● Prepare a strategic plan and annual budget for approval by the board of trustees
● Establish and monitor key indicators of the organisation’s impact and financial health
● Build an effective working relationship with the chair of the trustee board
● Ensure the Foundation fulfils its legal, statutory and regulatory responsibilities
● Manage charity development, constantly looking for opportunities to grow the charities income, ensuring the operating model is able to react to change
● Develop and maintain a range of constructive external working relationships with voluntary, community and private sectors, local Government and partnership organisations and other local environmental charities and groups
● Ensure the Foundation is meeting its charitable objects, including supporting the Peak District National Park Management Plan
● Maintain awareness of risks and changes in the external environment that affect the organisation
● Be familiar with the fundraising operating environment, understand the market and maintain up-to-date knowledge of best practice, emerging trends and activities of other organisations.
● Oversee fundraising income and expenditure budget, maintaining acceptable levels of Return on Investment.
● Work with the Fundraising manager and Grants Officer at the authority to source suitable grant applications to apply for
● Support the Fundraising Manager with grant applications, developing our Peak Partner scheme, individual giving and donor management.
● Manage research into supporter giving to anticipate future needs and ensure plans meet market changes.
● Help to ensure a sustainable income from individual, corporate, legacy and trust donations
● Manage key funder relationships as required, including Major Donors, Corporate supporters and regular givers
● Represent the Peak District Foundation at events and on strategic boards and groups
● To act as a spokesperson for the organisation and to liaise with the media proactively and reactively.
● To identify and follow up media opportunities that will promote the Peak District Foundation to the wider community, primarily across the Peak District and surrounding areas
● Work with the team to develop a communications plan to build our audience and brand, including leading on developing new ideas for content for our website, enews, social media and key campaigns
Operations & Finance
● Work closely with the Peak District National Park Authority to continue to develop our successful partnership for combined fundraising and project development
● Operate within the annual budget and ensure management and HR policies are up-to-date
● Develop and manage CRM system and supporter database
● Manage our Ambassador relationships with regular communications and plans as required
● Provide robust leadership, development, management and administration of the organisation, including human and financial resources, IT and Communications
● Line manage the Fundraising Manager and Administrative Officer to ensure they are focused on achieving the charities aims and mission
● Provide support for the team so they feel happy and productive in their roles
● Implement, monitor, evaluate and report on outcomes of organisational work programmes and activities against annual plans and targets.
● Manage the charities fundraising and giving and ensure ongoing financial viability of the Peak District National Park Foundation
Key Skills and experience
Experience in managing and motivating staff and volunteers to achieve an organisation’s aims and objectives
Experience in creating a positive, supporting and energising place to work
Strong interpersonal skills, empathy and the ability to communicate effectively and proactively with a range of internal and external stakeholders
Experience in setting and managing a budget and ensuring acceptable ROI
Experience in building key relationships with a variety of people, from beneficiaries and staff members to senior corporate executives and the media
Advocacy skills to garner support and be the public and private face of the organisation
A proven track record in successful fundraising, donor relations and partnership development
Drive and ambition to manage a growing charity and
Proficient IT/Microsoft skills and comfortable working with a CRM
Excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to tailor the style to the audience
Knowledge of fundraising best practices including the Code of Fundraising practice and data protection relating to fundraising and communications
Experience of identifying and managing organisations risk
Experience of working with boards and knowledge of relevant charity governance and practices
● 25 days annual leave (pro rata) + your birthday off + bank holidays
● 2 days volunteer leave per year
● Flexible working - we are flexible to the hours worked and want to focus on outcomes.
● Getting to work in and around our beautiful Peak District National Park
It may be necessary for the post-holder to undertake occasional duties outside of the normal working week to support events and trustee meetings (e.g. evenings and weekends).
Post-holder must have the ability to travel to meetings and events as required by the duties of the post.