At Perlego, there's over 100 of us working hard to make education accessible to all. In this digital age, we believe that anyone should be able to learn anything at any time. Knowledge should be more accessible, not locked behind sky-high price tags.
Over the past 5 years our goal has been to support students across the UK & Europe to access quality books. The next stage of Perlego is two fold: 1) expand our support to students globally, and 2) build a product that goes beyond the book, a platform that helps students study smarter and more effectively.
What we're looking for:
A Senior Mobile Engineer with experience in React Native, and native mobile software development. You'll be joining our mobile squad, with a goal focusing on creating consistent high-quality user experiences.
How we work together:
We organise ourselves into cross-functional squads, with each squad working together on a common data-driven goal. Each team consist of 6-8 team members; a Technical Lead, 3-4 engineers, a DevOps engineer, QA Engineer and a Product Owner.
What you'll do:
- You will provide technical leadership and mentoring within our mobile squad, designing, implementing, testing and documenting solutions to help the squad achieve its goal.
- You will actively develop, and supervise the development of the mobile application code base utilising React Native and Native mobile application code where appropriate.
- You will own the solutions design of Perlego mobile application features and contribute to distributed AWS serverless systems using Node.js application back-ends.
- You will assist the squad in implementing and monitoring engineering standards.
- You will participate in Scrum meetings, Retrospectives and engaging in Agile processes and Test Driven Development.
- With the squad you'll bring these solutions to life, writing high-quality code utilising test-driven development (Jest), continuous integration, code review (GitHub) and servant leadership practices.
It’s the perfect role for you if you have:
- Strong experience with writing performant, high quality React Native applications.
- A strong understanding of mobile architectural practices.
- A strong understanding of performant mobile application architecture.
- Experience working with native mobile application technologies including one of (Java/Objective-C/Swift).
- An understanding of Relational Database and NOSQL Databases
- Experience working with Cloud computing providers.
- Experience working in an Agile environment with Test Driven Development, CI/CD
- Extensive commercial experience as a software engineer
⭐️ It’s a plus if you have:
- A degree - preferably in a computing related subject
- Experience in a startup environment
- A general interest in books, reading and always learning new things!
🌈 Benefits include:
The range available for this role is from £70,000-£75,000
Why should you work at Perlego?
Apart from our mission, we foster a unique company culture championing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication and mutual support. We’re proud of our Glassdoor reviews and the fact that 97% of our team would recommend Perlego as a place to work.
Want to learn more about how we’re making learning accessible? Check out our latest impact report
We're making learning accessible to all and we want our ways of working to be accessible too. Choose between our impressive office in Chancery Lane, remote work or a bit of both. Work in a way that supports your needs and your life. We trust people to know what works best for them.
We are flexible if you wish to work remotely overseas for short periods of time, as long as you remain a UK tax resident 🗺
🧠 L&D Budget
We value continuous learning, you will get £500 per year to spend on the training of your choice
🌱 Unlimited Coaching Opportunities
Unlimited access to MoreHappi, an on-demand professional coaching platform to offer all employees access to unbiased and professional coaching opportunities.
🤓 Learning Time
All employees have dedicated Learning Time every second Friday afternoon, to focus on new skills, projects or interests that lay outside of their day-to-day job
🌴 Work-Life Balance
Everyone needs a break, so enjoy 30 days off (incl. bank holidays) + 1 additional day annual leave for every year of service up to 35 days off (incl. bank holidays)
🛐 Flexi Bank Holidays
We understand that not everyone aligns with the same calendar; we offer the flexibility to take your local country's bank holiday allowance for other religious or cultural days.
e.g. switch UK Easter Bank Holidays Days for Eid celebrations
❄️ Office Reset
All employees can also enjoy the days between Boxing Day and New Year off, to reset and refresh for the new year - this is additional to your annual leave 🙂
After three years there is an opportunity to take a 1-month unpaid sabbatical, and after five years there is an opportunity to take a 1-month paid sabbatical
💛 Personal Days
Life happens and we want you to be able to use your annual leave for resting, relaxing or taking time out to do something you love!
We offer 1 additional day a year for life events (your wedding, relocation, moving house, or a child starting school).
🍏 Health & Wellbeing
We want everyone to feel healthy and happy, so you get the choice of a wellbeing subsidy or private medical insurance via Vitality.
💭 Mental Health
All employees also get access to a free counselling support service via Spill
💸 Financial Wellbeing
Track your financial goals and receive financial advice all via Mintago
🚲 Cycle to Work Scheme
We're committed to building a sustainable business, so we encourage cycling to work. Perlego will buy your bike of choice, which you'll pay back over 12 months.
We're a tight-knit bunch who enjoy our time to play. We have regular social events and activities for everyone - everything from white water rafting to board game nights.
🍼 Family time
We believe family is really important; we offer new parents a competitive matched parental leave as well as a phased return to work from extended leave.
👼 Workplace Nursery Benefit
We want to support working parents and carers, so we offer a workplace nursery benefit scheme, helping our employees potentially save thousands of £££ against the cost of nurseries each year.
👋 Belonging at Perlego:
🌈 We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity of thought and background.
❤️ We are actively building a diverse team, so we strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
📣 To enable an equitable experience for all and give you the best chance of success, if you have any specific requirements for any stage of the interview process, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org