Carbon13 is the venture builder for the climate emergency. Founded in Cambridge, UK in May 2019, we are selecting and supporting thousands of entrepreneurs who will build ventures with the potential to reduce CO2e emissions by over 400 million tonnes per annum by 2040.
Carbon13’s programmes build proprietary deal flow, and between September 2021 and January 2023 we made 44 pre-seed investments in high-potential climate tech startups, each with the potential to mitigate 10m tonnes CO2e per annum when/if they achieve scale. The portfolio to date has an excellent record of raising follow-on investment. By end 2024, we expect to be making more than 100 pre-seed investments per annum across hubs in Cambridge, Berlin and beyond, and our rights include substantial preemption and follow-on opportunities. Accordingly, we are recruiting an Investment Principal to develop Carbon13’s funds and fund infrastructure.
- With SMT and the Investment Director, establish the structure and functional duties of the fund team.
- Participate in the investment committee.
- Manage and collaborate in managing relationships with Fund LPs; source LP fund leads
- Manage some key portfolio relationships.
- Manage the investment process after the pre-seed stage, including ongoing analysis, comparison and valuation of portfolio companies, portfolio analysis, investment strategy, peer/market analysis and managing exits.
- Manage fund team members as required.
- Take board observer seats where needed.
Supporting others in the team
- Work closely with others in Carbon13 who raise funds from LPs.
- Contribute as needed on compliance activities, and a full FCA registration for Carbon13 Capital Ltd.
- Work in partnership with others on carrying out DD and competitor research.
- Collaborate with others in the team who execute the pre-seed investment deals.
- Regularly work with the Carbon13 Carbon/Impact team to assess the impact of the deals.
- Participate in setting investment strategy
- 5+ years in VC
- Experience in all or most of the above elements of VC (portfolio relationships, compliance, strategy, DD, competitor research, structuring and leading a seed stage deal, negotiating with other VCs)
- Strong analytic, project management, communication, and stakeholder liaison skills
- A genuine passion for finding solutions to climate change
- An appreciation and understanding of DEI
- Previous experience with venture builder / accelerator programmes