Global Head of Policy
Reporting to: Director of Technical Development
Responsible for: Policy team
Closing date: 19th March 2023
Interviews: Week commencing 27th March 2023
Start date: ASAP
Over the past 10 years the Climate Bonds Initiative has successfully supported a large global green bonds market through the development of tools and guides in the form of taxonomies, standards and sector criteria that have navigated both issuers and investors in the space of green financing.
The global arena of climate finance has progressed significantly in the last decade and Climate Bonds remains at the forefront of these developments.
The Policy team plays an active role around the world through thought leadership at the global level and advocacy at the regional level.
The next stage of development is to build deeper engagement with:
- Policymakers to initiate and implement economic and environmental policy frameworks that navigate fiscal reform and crowd in private finance.
- Financial market regulators to develop regulatory ecosystems that include incentives and progressive rules and regulations that facilitate and encourage sustainable climate finance.
- Central banks to identify, quantify and address the impact of physical and transition climate change-related risks to financial stability and identify climate policy changes and prudential measures to be undertaken.
- Development banks (multi-lateral national and regional) to provide support in mitigating current barriers to scaling up finance, especially in emerging markets.
The Global Head of Policy is responsible for leading Climate Bonds’ policy work and direction over this next chapter of development, overseeing policy work across Climate Bonds and utilising deep expertise to inform decision making and strategy.
This role has two primary objectives. The first is content leadership – to direct the strategy of the team and its activities, prioritise work and guide decision making on new and challenging areas of work.
The second is team leadership – to oversee the team and the career development of each member as well as helping to deepen their expertise across core policy areas.
Content knowledge and strategic leadership
- Provide leadership and direction to the Policy team to empower members to make decisions that have a strong and positive impact in this space.
- Establish and cement CBI’s reputation within the policy arena by spearheading CBI’s thought leadership and by building relationships and partnerships with peers to amplify our message and influence.
- Utilise content knowledge and expertise to provide direction and detailed feedback to team member on content issues.
- Explore and create new opportunities across teams to achieve strategic objectives.
- Continue development of a programme strategy to guide the delivery of projects in-line with the CBI strategic objectives
- Ensure regular dialogue with relevant teams to promote collaboration, problem solving, teamwork and risk sharing
Advocacy, Awareness & Communications
- Representation of the Climate Bonds at high-level meetings/conferneces/events
- Attend relevant conferences/events and to present CBI’s work and views
- Explore and initiate collaborative working with other relevant partners and stakeholders
- Bring thought leadership in climate policy that represents CBI’s overall mission and objectives
- Support and lead a highly engaged and capable policy team to build their expertise in specific focus areas and topics while maintaining strong oversight on content.
- Input into the development of fundraising applications
- Develop relationships with key external stakeholders and initiatives.
People and project Management
- Line management and content leadership of the policy team.
- Work with the People and Culture Team to provide guidance for the career development of each team member.
- Build relationships with regional team heads to ensure collaboration and effective ‘dotted line’ oversight on deliverables across teams.
- Substantial and relevant policy experience
- Knowledge and experience in environmental issues, climate change, climate finance and sustainability
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal; ability to communicate confidently both upwards and downwards
- Superior managerial and diplomacy skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to show initiative in developing the role and to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to manage, coordinate and prioritise across multiple tasks, projects and deadlines
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound decisions under pressure.
- Strong relationship management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching/mentoring skills
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
What’s in it for you?
- Impactful responsibilities from the day you join with responsibility for your own learning curve, the role is what you make of it and the possibilities depend on you.
- Amazing opportunities for career progression and structured career development – we’ll work with you to explore your learning development and career potential
- We offer a structured and bespoke induction programme specifically suited to the team you’ll be joining and the specific role you’ll be doing. During your first few months, you’ll be given all the training you need to succeed in your role.
- Opportunity to attend a series of Lunch and Learns, delivered by internal subject matter experts and external guest speakers
- An international and diverse work atmosphere
- The chance to be part of our rapid growth and play a key role in the next exciting phase of Climate Bonds Initiative journey
- Everyone that joins us is given the opportunity to undertake our signature Green Bond training, which is recognised and certified by CPD.