Winnow is a fast growing start up, developing cutting edge technology to tackle the $1 trillion global food waste problem by transforming the way we produce food. Established in 2013, we are currently operating in over 60 countries, and we are just at the start of our journey.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continuing to push the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. For example, Winnow Vision, our artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
Other recent accolades saw Winnow awarded a winner of Impact 50's most impactful companies to work for, as well as included in the Top 30 Best Small and Medium companies to work for in 2023 by undelucram.ro.
Our intern programme
Participating in the intern programme at Winnow isn’t about taking a back seat. You’ll be getting involved at the heart of some of our key strategic projects and will have a voice which will be listened to.
As an intern Developer, you’ll be using your innate coding talent and knowledge of computer programming languages. Our technology stack is constantly evolving as we pick the right tools for the job, but you should expect to be working with web, server and cloud technologies such as Java, Python, Angular JS, Node.js and MySQL (Postgres). We use an Agile process to manage our work flow, and you will work with the rest of the team to define and implement new tasks as they arise.
Depending on the projects we are focusing on at the time, you’ll gain a range of experiences while you are with us. You’ll get hands-on training and work with a mentor on a real strategic project. You could find yourself working with our Research Scientists, Scrum teams or product team. You may find yourself being challenged with developing in a language you’ve never used before or developing a new feature for the Winnow system.
Technology is at the forefront of what we do, and the success of our company is based on our world-class technology and on finding solutions to real world problems that have not been solved to date.
Our current stack includes:
- Languages: Java, VueJS, Python, Go
- Android apps (Kotlin/Java)
- PostgreSQL, MySQL
- REST APIs
- Designing and manufacturing IoT ‘smart’ edge devices and expanding using Linux powered devices on the field collecting data using cutting edge technologies
- Focus on security, user authentication, permissions, data integrity
- AWS Cloud using EC2, Aurora, S3 and other services
- JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket (Atlassian products)
- Moving to a Microservices architecture using Kafka for messaging and currently implementing other patterns
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, SonarQube, New Relic, Docker, Terraform.
- Test Driven Development environment with focus on testing and quality output
- Agile team using Scrum or Kanban (each team chooses the best approach to drive results)
- Reporting and Analytics using Pentaho
Driven and ambitious you will be excited about gaining experience in a fast paced organisation during one of the most exciting and dynamic times in our business.
Things move quickly at Winnow so you’ll be able to work under pressure, get going of your own accord and use your initiative to get things done. You’ll be able to work at speed without compromising on accuracy and will be able to work as part of a team.
Your extraordinary attention to detail, and pride in what we’re creating, means your standards are always high. You’re also resilient, tenacious and open to feedback.
You will work alongside a talented team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
Ideally, you'll be able to join us on a permanent basis at the end of your internship.
Join us this Summer and you’ll look forward to:
- A competitively paid, 10 week summer internship (starting 10th July)
- 2 Wellness hours per month plus a 137 RON gross monthly wellness allowance
- A permanent offer to join Winnow if you are successful on your internship (which can start on a part-time basis if you are still completing your studies)
- The chance to work on real projects and do real work
- Working with great technology, and great technologists
- The support of a buddy in addition to a manager to support you during the programme
- Regular constructive feedback
- The opportunity to present your work to senior stakeholders and the company Founders
- Working on product with a great social mission
- Joining with a cohort of equally talented interns with regular social events planned