Winnow is a fast growing start up, developing cutting edge technology to tackle the $1 trillion global food waste problem by transforming the way we produce food. Established in 2013, we are currently operating in over 60 countries, and we are just at the start of our journey.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continuing to push the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. For example, Winnow Vision, our artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
Other recent accolades saw Winnow awarded a winner of Impact 50's most impactful companies to work for, as well as included in the Top 30 Best Small and Medium companies to work for in 2023 by undelucram.ro.
Our intern programme
Participating in the intern programme at Winnow isn’t about taking a back seat. You’ll be given real work and will be accountable for delivering a set of assigned responsibilities.
As a DevOps Engineer, you’ll help us in the deployment of high-quality code. More specifically you will learn how to:
- Deploy, automate, maintain and manage AWS cloud based system, to ensure the availability, performance, scalability and security of our systems
- Build automated deployments using configuration management technology
- Troubleshoot and resolve errors in the existing information systems
- Identify solutions to enhance performance by identifying the practical alternative solutions
Technology is at the forefront of what we do, and the success of our company is based on our world-class technology and on finding solutions to real world problems that have not been solved to date.
Our current stack includes:
- Languages: Java, VueJS, Python, Go
- Android apps (Kotlin/Java)
- PostgreSQL, MySQL, Mode, RedShift
- REST APIs
- Designing and manufacturing IoT ‘smart’ edge devices and expanding using Linux-powered devices on the field collecting data using cutting-edge technologies (BalenaOS/shell scripting)
- Focus on security, user authentication, permissions, data integrity
- AWS Cloud using EC2, Aurora, S3 and other services
- JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket (Atlassian products)
- Moving to a Microservices architecture using Kafka for messaging and currently implementing other patterns
- Continuous Integration and Delivery using Jenkins, SonarQube, New Relic, Docker, and Terraform.
- Test Driven Development environment with a focus on testing and quality output
- Agile teams using Scrum or Kanban (each team chooses the best approach to drive results)
- Reporting and Analytics using Pentaho
Driven and ambitious you will be excited about gaining experience in a fast paced organisation during one of the most exciting and dynamic times in our business.
Things move quickly at Winnow so you’ll be able to work under pressure, get going of your own accord and use your initiative to get things done. You’ll be able to work at speed without compromising on accuracy and will be able to work as part of a team.
Your extraordinary attention to detail, and pride in what we’re creating, means your standards are always high. You’re also resilient, tenacious and open to feedback.
You will work alongside a talented team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
Join us this Summer and you’ll look forward to:
- A competitively paid, 3-month summer internship (starting 10th July)
- 2 Wellness hours per month plus a 137 RON gross monthly wellness allowance
- A permanent offer to join Winnow if you are successful in your internship (which can start on a part-time basis if you are still completing your studies)
- The chance to work on real projects and do real work
- Working with great technology, and great technologists
- The support of a buddy in addition to a manager to support you during the program
- Regular constructive feedback
- The opportunity to present your work to senior stakeholders and the company Founders
- Working on a product with a great social mission
- Joining with a cohort of equally talented interns with regular social events planned