Business Development Manager
We’re making zero carbon happen
We’re OVO Group, a big family of companies united by a single vision: to get to zero carbon, fast.
We call this Plan Zero – and it shows how we’ll be fighting the climate crisis and transforming the way people use energy over the next decade. To do this, we need the sharpest minds. Are you up for the challenge?
Do great green things with OVO Energy
So much has changed since we launched in 2009. Our goal remains the same though: make energy cheaper, greener, and simpler. Just as it was on day one.
Everyone belongs at OVO
Our aim is to build a diverse and inclusive movement: teams of brilliant people, with unique talents, skills, passions, and experiences.
We encourage everyone to join us, whatever your gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, life experience, or background. So please come as you are – we can’t wait to meet you.
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
This role sits within our Energy Solutions Commercial team, helping facilitate delivery of Government initiatives such as the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme, with the aim to help reduce carbon emissions, tackle fuel poverty and drive a Net Zero future for all.
What will I be doing?
You’ll be responsible for developing and procuring new opportunities within the energy efficiency Retrofit markets; working alongside Government initiatives to facilitate company obligation and wider group objectives aligned to Plan Zero.
Building on a strong industry presence, you will be required to network across a large geographical area to promote and develop new business opportunities. As part of this purpose you will ensure company brand, ethics and core message is adhered throughout your business time.
Key responsibilities include:
- Identify and develop new business opportunities across all energy efficiency sectors
- Plan and prioritise personal sales activities and customer/prospect contact towards achieving agreed business aims, including costs and sales - especially managing personal time and productivity.
- Communicate, liaise, and negotiate internally and externally using appropriate methods to facilitate the development of profitable business and sustainable relationships
- Manage product/service mix, pricing and margins according to agreed aims
- Actively promote and support the wider business objectives
- Build a network of clients within the energy efficiency sectors including local authorities and housing associations, supply chain, trade associates and third-party agents
- Maintain and develop existing client relationships (or key clients)
- Respond to and follow up sales enquiries using appropriate methods
- Leading bids and proposals and responding to tenders
- Carry out market research, competitor analysis and client reporting
- Liaise and attend meetings with other company functions necessary to perform duties and aid business and organisational development.
- Attend training, industry exhibitions and client workshops to develop relevant knowledge and skills
Is this the job for me?
You’ll be a confident and experienced salesperson, a natural people person who’s comfortable growing new networks and developing existing ones, even better if that’s been within a policy-led industry!
The energy efficiency sector is dynamic and can be complex; there is a lot to learn, so you’ll preferably have in-depth knowledge of the industry and current events. It would be great if you have an understanding of Government Policy around Clean Heat, Net Zero and and fuel poverty alleviation such as: ECO, Social Housing
Ideally you will have:
- Be a strong communicator with the ability to tailor your approach to each individual customer
- Be confident using different technology systems - we use Google suite here
- Be comfortable managing and prioritising your own workload - you’ve got outstanding organisational/time management skills!
- Be detail-oriented with a proactive, positive and solutions orientated approach - you’re a confident problem solver.
Brilliant benefits for a world-changing team
Our people are at the heart of Plan Zero. That’s why we offer plenty of green benefits and progressive policies to make you feel at home.
For starters, you’ll get 34 days of holiday (including bank holidays).
Then there’s Flex Pay. It’s an extra 9% of your salary on top of your core pay to use as you like. You can take it as cash, add to your pension, or choose to spend it on a huge range of flex benefits.
Here’s a taster of what’s on offer:
For your health
With benefits like a healthcare cash plan or private medical insurance depending on your career level, critical illness cover, life assurance, health assessments, and more
For your wellbeing
With gym membership, gadget, travel and cyber insurance, workplace ISA, will writing services, DNA testing, dental insurance, and more
For your lifestyle
With extra holiday buying, discount dining, culture cards, tech loans, and supporting your favourite charities with give-as-you-earn donations
For your home
Get up to £300 off any OVO Energy plan (when you pay by Direct Debit), plus personal carbon offsetting and great discounts on smart thermostats and EV chargers
For your commute
Nab a great deal on ultra-low emission car leasing, plus our cycle to work scheme and public transport season ticket loans
Want to hear about our full range of flexible benefits and progressive people policies? Our People Team can tell you everything you need to know.
Oh, and one last thing...
We’d be thrilled if you tick off all our boxes yet we also believe it’s just as important we tick off all of yours. And if you think you have most of what we’re looking for but not every single thing, go ahead and hit apply. We’d still love to hear from you!