Start Date: June 2023
End Date: Sept 2023
Pay: Current 'Real Living Wage' £10.90
Hours: Full time and part time available
The Job - Retail Assistant
TYF has a tender story to tell with an inspiring mission of passion and love for people, nature connection and appreciation. As a TYF Retail Assistant you will be instrumental in the day to day operations of the retail store, reporting to and supporting the Retail Manager and is accountable for using your unshakeable confidence to engage and communicate a unique, collective passion of retail and repair through exceptional customer service as an ambassador of the brand. This role is pivotal to reducing the environmental impact of TYF and helping to innovate the adventure and retail industries.
1. Customer experience:
- Welcome customers in the store, on the phone and via emails, address their needs and answer any questions/concerns.
- Ensure that customer experience is at the heart of everything you do by projecting a professional and positive approach to all aspects of customer service to deliver consistently superb customer satisfaction and encourage repeat business.
- Resolve any customer complaints in a professional manner and where necessary elevate these complaints to management.
- Ensure that customer repairs are completed efficiently and to a high quality
Maintain supplier and customer records in the CRM software
- Create a community hub for reuse, repair and repurposing, including education on environmental awareness and guidance on repairing and mending to promote the roll out of TYF’s values into visitors’ networks
- Use your excellent storytelling skills to highlight environmental issues within the retail sector and encourage our customers to become environmental ambassadors.
- Support TYF to become a leader in minimising their impact and reducing waste.
- Create a community hub that acts as a source of information and advice on how to live a lower-impact lifestyle and share the TYF story, values and mission with our customers.
- Identify sustainable ways of working and promoting a circular economy within TYF.
- Be an ambassador for TYF's mission and positive change.
- Ensure that ethical and sustainability practises are considered through all decision making.
- Carry out tasks required with as minimal environmental impact as possible and work with TYF to ensure a net positive social and environmental impact is achieved across all responsibilities.
3. Product knowledge
- Maintaining an in-depth knowledge of retail and adventure products to provide advice and recommendations as needed.
- Show your passion for the TYF brand to every customer and convey what makes us unique.
- Assisting customers in locating desired shop items, informing them of relevant promotions and encouraging them to make purchases.
- Selling retail products and TYF Adventures, face to face, over the phone and via email
- Processing customer payments using the shop's Point of Sale (POS) system.
- Promote online retail, TYF Community Membership, adventure activities and residential programmes where relevant.
5. Repair Shop:
- Accurate assessment of customer items to advise the correct repairs route, including high value outdoors gear
- Cleaning, re-proofing, repairing and altering garments and accessories as required according to customers’ needs
- Use of specialist repairs / cleaning services where appropriate
- Maintenance of all repairs equipment, including sewing machines
- Ensure the Repair Studio is kept in outstanding condition and looking great, and is a welcoming and inspiring space
- Exploring new ideas to generate income
6. Cleaning & Maintenance
- Performing end-of-day cleaning duties, which includes wiping down windows, mirrors, and fixtures as well as sweeping and mopping the shop floor.
- Keep the storeroom neat and organised.
- Work with other team members to keep the immediate outside area, entrances and sales floor area clean at all times
- Assist in maintaining the stock room and setting up merchandise displays on the sales floor, ensuring depleted items are restocked according to established guidelines.
- Assist the retail coordinator in conducting price audits and maintaining accurate record of shop inventory through regular mini stock takes and quarterly inventory checks.
- Receiving, processing, and organising shipments and deliveries in a timely manner.
8. Other responsibilities
- Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be requested
- Engage with and develop understanding of environmental issues
- Provide content from the retail department to the Marketing team as requested, but also to recognise potential content as it presents an opportunity.
- Maintaining a positive image of the brand at all times.
- Is knowledgeable of the daily financial targets.
- Seek out opportunities for your own development through the Performance and Development Review (appraisal) to learn new skills.
- Take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively to a variety of customers.
- Self motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a wider team.
- Awesome knowledge of TYF vision and values and an excellent ability to communicate this to customers.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Excellent knowledge of environmental issues, social justice and sustainability.
- Excellent sewing skills, including sound knowledge of fabrics and sewing techniques and the ability to safely use different types of sewing machines
- Excellent knowledge of repairs techniques, materials and equipment
- Desirable: Level 2 award in textiles or similar subject.
- Experience of working in adventure retail
- Awareness of ecological and environmental issues
- Experience of sewing / repairing / repurposing in a professional setting
- A genuine passion for sustainability and awareness of sustainability principles and circularity.
- A minimum of one years experience in a customer-facing role.
- An interest in the outdoor adventure industry