South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As a Strategy Lab ResearchIntern, you will support our Technology Directors and our Senior Innovation Researcher in strategic research that will identify and evaluate business opportunities and support the adoption of novel mitigation technologies at South Pole. Responsibilities will include supporting desk research and analysis across a range of topics related to climate change mitigation and adaptation. You will mainly conduct independent research tasks but may also collaborate with colleagues on a number of projects and initiatives across South Pole.
The internship will be for 6 months, starting in April 2023 or upon agreement.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Conduct deep-technology research into breakthrough or blue-sky mitigation technologies and practices (e.g. novel nature-based solutions, agricultural practices, or negative emission technologies)
- Support the commercial and market research for mitigation technologies and practices not currently served at South Pole
- Summarise scientific findings for both board-level and company-wide audiences.
- Contribute to identifying, prioritising and validating new business opportunities for South Pole on the basis of your research.
- Knowledge and interest in environmental and sustainability topics
- Good understanding of research methods and some experience with desk research
- Strong attention to detail
- Enjoys conducting desk research and reviewing literature, with the desire to constantly deepen these skills
- Advanced analytical skills and ability to process technical reports and large amounts of information
- Strong in creative and visual reporting with the ability to translate complex information into a compelling story for different audiences
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment, with evolving research and business development priorities
- Able to combine individual work with an active role in brainstorming sessions
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Positive and proactive attitude
- Experience working in an innovation and/or R&D context at University
- Proficiency in other languages such as German, French, or Spanish is a plus
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.