So Energy was created in 2015 because we knew energy suppliers could be better. Since then, we’re grown rapidly but sustainably, with 300,000+ customers and over 300 So Energists. But, we’re not done. We’re on the road to a million customers by the end of 2026 and, thanks to our recent merger with ESB Energy, we’re well on the way. We’re tech first, we’re customer-centric and we’re passionate about sustainability.
We want to do the best we can by our customers and by each other, so we’ve created a workplace that is encouraging, supportive and offers the opportunity for growth. As a company, we live by six core values that guide everything we do.
We are looking to hire a DevOps lead who will help us build and support the digital products we are building here at So Energy.
The main roles and responsibilities would include leading and managing the small team, defining and executing on DevOps strategy, designing, building, improving and supporting the So Energy platform.
Who would fit into this role?
- Someone who lives and breathes technology around cloud computing/Kubernetes/infrastructure.
- Someone who loves helping others grow and achieve their goals
- Someone who enjoys building cloud-based platforms, tools and other infrastructure that increase the efficiency, speed and stability of the digital products we are building.
- Someone who wants to work in an environment where they’re solving problems for our internal and external stakeholders.
- We also want someone who can communicate their ideas and who knows the work they do is even more valuable.
- Someone who is very well organized with the ability to work on own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Someone who stays up to date with security best practices and Integrate security at every level of the stack.
- Most importantly we want someone who is willing to learn and work at pace.
What you will be doing
- Design, build and support the public and private cloud infrastructure using AWS, GCP, Terraform & Kubernetes.
- Lead and mentor the DevOps team members
- Define (with steer from leadership) and execute on the DevOps strategy/roadmap at So
- Ensuring the availability, performance and readiness of our test and production environments to support our release aspirations
- Maintain and enhance our monitoring and observability stack, ensuring we can provide a real time view on availability and performance.
- Work within cross-functional engineering teams to build products and services.
- Automate wherever possible
- Deploy new digital products with cloud first strategy.
- Balance short-term delivery with building long-term strategic components.
- Be a force for innovation and change, contributing to the platform roadmap
- Experience collaborating to define DevOps strategy (leading ideal)
- Experience leading delivery for work with DevOps teams (sprint rituals, capacity vs load, reporting upwards)
- Experience with cloud native CI/CD pipelines such as GitHub Actions/Argo/Gitlab etc
- Experience scripting in a language such a Python, Bash, or PowerShell
- Experience working with and designing distributed systems
- Experience with Kubernetes (GKE/EKS/AKS)
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform/CloudFormation
- Experience with GCP (AWS & Azure will be considered)
- Understanding of networking fundamentals (DNS, ports, proxies, etc)
- Experience with security in the context of cloud or networking
- Experience working in a software development lifecycle
- An understanding of DevOps ‘philosophy’
Nice to have
- Experience of line-management preferred, eg: 1:1’s, setting PDPs
- Programming experience preferred, eg: Kotlin, Java, Ruby, Go or C#
What's in it for you?
- Competitive salary
- Life Assurance 4x base salary
- Bonus up to 10% base salary
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays, and an extra day holiday for your birthday
- Hybrid Remote Working
- Ongoing support and development as well as a generous learning and development budget
- Free daily breakfast
- Great reward and recognition
- Exposure to all parts of a growing business
- Pension matching as part of auto-enrolment pension scheme
So Energy cares about helping the energy industry become a much more diverse and inclusive environment and we work hard to lead by example. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and building an inclusive environment for all. As an equal opportunity employer, there are also several steps we take to accommodate candidates and employees with disabilities including additional time on tests during the interview process and specialist equipment for those employees that require it.
If you are interested in finding out more, please apply and make sure to complete all the questions to the best of your ability.