Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 124 million registered learners. Coursera partners with over 300 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business.
Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021. As a B Corp, we're committed to driving positive social and environmental impact while delivering high-quality learning experiences. Our platform is used by institutions worldwide to upskill and reskill employees, citizens, and students across industries, including data science, technology, and business.
Join us in our mission to create a world where anyone, anywhere can transform their life through access to education. We're seeking talented individuals who share our passion and drive to revolutionize the way the world learns.
We at Coursera are committed to building a globally diverse team and are thrilled to extend employment opportunities to individuals in any country where we have a legal entity. We require candidates to possess eligible working rights and have a compatible timezone overlap with their team to facilitate seamless collaboration. As a remote-first company, our interviews and onboarding are entirely virtual, providing a smooth and efficient experience for our candidates.
Legal and Compliance is responsible for managing all legal and regulatory matters, including contracts, corporate governance, SEC compliance, general compliance, academic compliance, employment law matters, intellectual property, product counseling, government relations, and claims. The team includes dedicated teams that support every aspect of Coursera's platform, including university, enterprise and industry partnerships. You will play a key role in managing the company’s public company / SEC reporting obligations and corporate governance processes, as well as advising on M&A and strategic initiatives. In addition, you will assist with company-wide information governance and document retention projects.
Reporting into the General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel, Corporate and Assistant Secretary will be part of the Legal Department’s leadership team and lead the global Corporate Legal team within the Legal Department, managing a team of 3 legal professionals, while counseling on issues of strategic importance to Coursera and contributing to the company's strategy planning process, including legal strategy and risks associated with the company’s operations as a public company, SEC reporting, public company corporate governance, international expansion, M&A and strategic alliances, and other corporate transactions.
- Handle all SEC filings and oversee executive compensation matters, working closely with members of the Leadership Team as needed and the Board of Directors as appropriate.
- Attend meetings of the Board of Directors and its Committees, assisting the Board and Committee Chairs, General Counsel and the CEO with the preparation of Board meeting agendas and materials and any other Board governance activities.
- Serve as a confidante and counselor to the General Counsel, Executive Team and Board of Directors as needed on matters relating to Coursera’s corporate strategies, corporate governance and other relevant federal and state securities laws, regulations and rules which apply now or may apply in the future. Work closely with the General Counsel on issues affecting all company functions and decisions connected to the larger business.
- Oversee the Company’s Insider Trading Policy, 10b5-1 plans, and all corporate governance topics, and address related employee and director equity matters.
- Develop and refine policies, templates, and other tools to improve efficiencies within the legal and compliance department; Manage all corporate governance topics , and oversee domestic parent and subsidiary management, including supporting all domestic expansion initiatives
- 12+ years of broad-based, public-company securities, general corporate and M&A experience obtained through a combination of law firm and in-house public company roles, with demonstrated history in navigating the federal securities laws (including the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and Dodd-Frank Act) and NYSE listing standards. Proven track record of working with a cross-functional team to deliver timely, accurate 34 Act filings and manage executive compensation issues. Also experience with crisis management, advising on public statements, and investor relations.
- Demonstrated experience leading corporate governance and corporate secretarial activities, and leading M&A transactions as the principal M&A lawyer.
- Experience providing thoughtful and strategic guidance to an executive team and Board of Directors, managing a variety of legal issues across multiple regions (NAMER, APAC, EMEA, LATAM), and managing and overseeing outside counsel in the US and globally.
- People management experience, including experience mentoring, developing and leading a talented, diverse global team.
- Demonstrated history of a business-oriented and adaptable approach to problem-solving for a growth company by providing clear and concise advice and creative solutions to meet business needs; detail-oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through.
- 15+ years of broad-based, public-company securities, general corporate and M&A experience obtained through a combination of law firm and in-house public company roles.
- Prior Corporate Secretary or Assistant Corporate Secretary experience at a public company.
- Prior experience with the issues facing tech or content companies, with adaptability and resilience needed to lead in a growth environment.
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
- Introduction to Negotiation: A Strategic Playbook for Becoming a Principled and Persuasive Negotiator
- Influencing People
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $139,000 and $303,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and location. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and benefits.