Job Title: Strategic Planning and Programme Design Coordinator
Team: Strategy and Programmes
Reporting to: Director of Strategy and Programmes
Canada 55,000-65,000 CAD,
Brazil 128,000-170,000 BRL,
Closing date: Friday 28th April 2023
The Climate Bonds Initiative has experienced extraordinary growth in the last 5 years, a testament to its success in helping to drive the development of the green bonds market, but more importantly its tireless role in mobilizing global capital towards climate action. We are entering into a very exciting new phase of growth, whereby we are graduating our systems, capabilities, expertise, and offerings to be more strongly rooted in professionalism, excellence, and impact. To advance these goals, we require strong leadership and management. As an integral part of the Senior Management team, this role will be supporting the Executive Director and SLT in shepherding, resourcing, and implementing the Climate Bonds strategy to optimise our impact.
The Strategic Planning and Programme Design Coordinator will play a critical role in supporting the Director of Strategy and Programmes in driving the organization's growth and impact. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of program design and development, strategic planning, and monitoring and evaluation. They will be a strategic thinker with excellent analytical, communication, and stakeholder management skills.
The role will have three key areas of focus:
- Programme Design – facilitating consultative processes that bring together internal and external stakeholders for the design of large and complex, multi-year, cross-cutting programmes of work including both thematic areas of growth and new country programmes
- Strategic Planning and Integration – evaluate policies, procedures, processes, and tools for their alignment to strategy and provide recommendations on how to ensure they reflect the Climate Bonds strategy. Support strategy review and update processes.
- Strategic MEL – create, measure, and deliver a MEL framework at the organisational level
Head of Project Assurance and Learning: Coordinate and align organisational MEL frameworks with project-level MEL; work with PAL to assess and ensure that programme design is in line with internal resources and capacities.
Head of Fundraising and Programme Design: Collaborate closely with the Head of FPD on design related work and to find funders to resource larger programmes.
Heads of Teams: Develop close working relationships with Heads of Teams and facilitate their input into strategic planning and programme design processes.
Finance Team: work with finance to support budgets and budgeting processes to be aligned with our strategic objectives, and vice versa that the CBI SMART Goals and Team Goals are financially viable and achievable
Design of Strategic Programmes
- Strategic Planning and Integration
- Support the development and execution of a streamlined process for strategy review including keeping apace with external context and trends, tracking CBI SMART goals, and supporting a process of internal learning and course correction on strategy.
- Facilitate and support the transformation of the strategy and underlying theory of change into an operational blueprint of concrete, measurable actions and support the integration of strategy into all relevant internal processes
- Support the communication of the strategy so that it is understood clearly by those who will implement it, and is well-communicated externally to partners and funders.
- Ensure that CBI’s TOC is widely understood in the organisation, including newcomers through on-boarding, and is used as a guide for setting strategic plans
- Organisational MEL
- Develop a MEL framework including development of indicators, assumptions, risks, and means of verifications for SOs and Org SMART Goals to track the effectiveness of programmes
- Integrate Team KPIs into MEL framework
- Update TOC diagram and create additional documentation to support communication
- Review and diagnose progress and challenges to implementation of strategic objectives, co-create solutions to challenges, and identify successful plans and tactics for optimising impact, ensuring that the strategic objectives are designed with the wellbeing of the people who deliver them in mind with realistic expectations of the necessary resources and skills.
- Support the FPD team (particularly the Fundraising and Communications Specialist) in sharing impacts, results, and successes of CBI to external target stakeholders (primarily funders)
- Facilitate consultative processes that bring together internal and external stakeholders for the design of large and complex, multi-year, cross-cutting programmes of work
- Utilise tools/methodologies for collaborative design processes such as mind-mapping, Design Thinking, Human Centred Design, SWOT Analysis and others
- Map, engage, and formalise external partnerships for the implementation of programmes with the aim of optimising impact and generating more opportunities for joint fundraising efforts.
- Prepare Concept Notes, Pitch Decks, Proposals, and Budgets for Strategic programmes (Minimum 2 per year)
- Work with FPD to develop a fundraising/resourcing plan for Strategic Programmes
- Support the FPD Team to pursues funding opportunities for internal programme research, design, and development by identifying priorities and budget requirements
Health & Safety
- Take care for the health and safety of self and others who may be affected by my work
- Co-operate fully with CBI’s management with regard to the requirements of Health and Safety legislation to allow the duties and requirements to be carried out or complied with balancing the priorities of the programmes with the wellbeing of those that deliver them, ensuring that they are realistically resourced and avoiding burnout amongst people at CBI
Under the leadership of the Executive Director, this position is entitled to decision-making on all Strategy and Programme functions defined in this role’s key responsibilities and duties.
- 5+ years relevant management and climate sector experience
- Have a strong understanding of strategic planning, experience with creating SMART goals and measurable KPI’s linked to organisational strategy
- Experience in organizing and facilitating workshops, design workshops, or other relevant events.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal; ability to communicate confidently both upwards and downwards
- Ability to coordinate and prioritise across multiple tasks, projects and deadlines
- Excellent analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and
- Presentation and facilitation skills and ability to build consensus
- Knowledge and experience in environmental issues, climate change, climate finance and sustainability
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Knowledge of programmatic themes and policy areas relevant to Climate Bonds’ work, such as climate resilience, climate transition, sustainable finance.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders, including civil society organizations, private sector actors, and government agencies.
- Knowledge of emerging trends and best practices in the fields of program design and strategic planning.
- Knowledge of grant management processes, including proposal development, budgeting, and reporting.
- Experience in conducting research and producing knowledge products such as policy briefs, research reports, or articles.
- Fluency in additional languages
What’s in it for you?
- Impactful responsibilities from the day you join with responsibility for your own learning curve, the role is what you make of it and the possibilities depend on you.
- Amazing opportunities for career progression and structured career development – we’ll work with you to explore your learning development and career potential
- We offer a structured and bespoke induction programme specifically suited to the team you’ll be joining and the specific role you’ll be doing. During your first few months, you’ll be given all the training you need to succeed in your role.
- Opportunity to attend a series of Lunch and Learns, delivered by internal subject matter experts and external guest speakers
- An international and diverse work atmosphere
- The chance to be part of our rapid growth and play a key role in the next exciting phase of Climate Bonds Initiative journey
- Everyone that joins us is given the opportunity to undertake our signature Green Bond training, which is recognised and certified by CPD.