We’ve come a long way since 2004—and we’re just getting started.
As one of the longest-standing independent coffee roasters on UK shores, the love of coffee fuels everything we do. We work to challenge the expected, crafting tangible experiences and products that are impactful and progressive. We work hard, and with integrity, to shape and share exceptional coffee, fairly, with all. As an B Corp accredited coffee roaster, we’re not here to jump on bandwagons. No greenwashing. No jargon: an inclusive, global community, listening and speaking up for the future we believe in.
We build, nurture, and champion relationships at the source, celebrating farmers, cooperatives, and producers. We support direct trade, traceability, and quality. From crop, to cup, every step of our journey is considered; we’re proud to be held accountable, always striving for better ways to do business, placing people and planet before profit.
Dedicated, curious, driven, and open-minded, we’re not afraid to push boundaries and shape positive change. With a growing team of award-winning coffee professionals, a world-class coffee programme, six coffee shops, an ever-evolving product range, we continue to work hard to create inclusive spaces within Origin as well as everywhere we go, where conversations can grow. We move fast yet stay grounded, cutting paths through the noise, and have a lot of fun along the way. We’re here for ideas, rolling up our sleeves, and sharing new perspectives. Opportunities are on the table—yours to shape, with full support.
Join us in pursuit of coffee excellence.
The role overview
As Head of Coffee, you will initially provide maternity cover for our Director of Coffee to fully own Origin's coffee programme. With previous roasting experience in the speciality coffee industry, you will lead a team of roasters from our roastery in Porthleven, Cornwall. With a newly installed S70, an S35 and S15, you will oversee the journey of our carefully sourced green coffee from farm to production.
With a wealth of experience managing relationships, risks, negotiating, and coordinating logistics, you will demonstrate a blend of operational competence with an acute understanding of product, industry, people, and growth.
The role responsibilities
- Align with our Director of Coffee (post maternity leave) in trendsetting and delivering coffees which set us apart, including pursuing new revenue streams with an awareness of global market trends, economic factors, and climate impact.
- Manage the supply chain relationships aligned with Origin's strategy, coffee sourcing goals and sustainable approach (maternity leave responsibility – reviewed responsibility on return).
- Coordinate relationships with exporting partners and producers for Origin to remain at the forefront of our sector by consistently sourcing and selecting high-quality and exciting coffees.
- Work closely with our producers to develop new coffee processes (maternity leave responsibility – reviewed responsibility on return).
- Maintain and support the development of Origin's relationship with coffee producers and exporters to include the challenges and position of supplier countries, their geo-political challenges and how this impacts coffee prices and our product offering.
- Auditing of farms to ensure our green bean suppliers meet and follow the 'code of practice.'.
- Provide regular, accurate information and data for the annual Speciality Coffee Transaction Guide.
- Coordinate receiving samples from suppliers.
- Coordinate and plan coffee release blends to include single origins, mainstays, bespoke and features.
Operations and communication
- Work with the marketing department, team and project leads and identify to provide accurate information for all coffee releases.
- Liaise and support the Head of Operations & Production with the standards and ways of working to ensure operational excellence.
- Work with customer services and sales data to ensure green coffee, including accurate forecasting, is accurate and delivers roasted coffee on time.
- Review and update operational efficiencies and working methods to support a continuous improvement programme.
- Support the green bean and roasted coffee inventory.
Procurement and logistics
- I am working with Origin's Purchasing Coordinator to forecast and project Origin's coffee volume for the upcoming year.
- Negotiate with Origin's producers, exporting partners and logistics service providers to purchase Origin's coffee on time and according to the planned programme - under the guidance and planned activity of the Director of Coffee.
- Coordinate and support weekly inventory checks against suppliers and Cropster.
- Update all coffee purchases to Unleashed (stock inventory system) and Cropster.
- Monitor and track the progress of all containers with our nominated logistics provider, coordinating and cross-checking the availability of our offering with our inventory in the UK.
- Make alternative arrangements to our product offering when required.
- Source bespoke coffee when required; work closely with wholesale managers to fulfil clients' requirements based on seasonality, volume, and flavour profile.
- Provide top-line content via interviews and meetings with producers and suppliers to support coffee releases, including blend changes, features, and bespoke.
Production and order fulfilment
- Plan and coordinate with the Head of Operations and Production to ensure all orders are roasted on time.
- Support the Head of Operations and Production so regular roasting equipment cleaning and maintenance are compliant.
Quality control and improvement
- Weekly cupping of feature coffee.
- Train and develop Origin's QC and Trainee Green Coffee Buying team to sample roast to the required standard.
- Evaluate and arbiter coffee samples, green bean analysis and identified defects flagged by QC.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement.
- Implement and maintain Origin's Quality Assurance systems.
- Support the Regular cleaning and maintenance of roasting equipment.
- Monitor the roasting process to identify needed adjustments or repairs.
- Sustainability and B-Corp.
- Working closely with Origin's Sustainability Team and key stakeholders to provide a transparency report that matches our contracts.
- Support Origin's B-Corp accreditation status by frequently reporting to critical stakeholders proposed ways of working and improving our coffee programme through self-led learning and knowledge.
- Represent Origin Coffee at industry events (maternity leave cover and alongside our Director of Coffee on their return).
- Develop internal and external stakeholder relationships, including those beyond our industry, via networking to influence and retain Origin's leading position within our sector.
- Align Origin's core values with yours to support and develop working relationships and ways of working to reinforce purpose, position, and philosophy, maintaining our industry position of success.
- Communicate and maintain Origin's clear and relatable mission so our team understands our purpose and ambition through the quality and standard of our roasted coffee.
- Line manage Origin's Head Roaster.
- Line manage Origin's Quality Control Coordinator and Trainee Green Coffee Buyer (QC, sample roasting, cupping).
- Evolve the development of our QC programme to include all aspects of cupping and training.
- Develop Origin's roasting team progression, including training and development career pat
To be successful in this role, these are the things that matter the most:
- You have deep expertise and are passionate about speciality coffee
- You are a brilliant problem solver when issues arise
- You are self-motivated and able to make decisions, both on a strategic and operational level
- You perform well in a fast-paced, high-pressured work environment
- You are a people person with proven experience of 'taking people with you.'
- You have excellent communication skills, both in the written and verbal form
- You love to share coffee knowledge and have extensive proven training skills
- You can demonstrate how the cupping table is our core focus
- You have a proven ability to train cuppers and green bean buyers
- You can take the overview of the coffee journey from farm to cup
- You are a confident negotiator with demonstrable experience managing existing and new accounts, payment terms, and price structures.
Essential qualities to have
- Good palate, advanced cupping experience, Q Grader or equivalent
- Established relationships with suppliers and logistics management
- Experience using Cropster
- Experience roasting
- Experience in green bean buying
- Sample roasting skills
- SCA trained, including professional
- Numerate with strong commercial acumen
- Excellent Excel skills and other Microsoft
- Quality control and quality assurance experience
- Coffee trading/ experience with handling international financial transactions
- Experience in managing and developing a team
- Willing to relocate to Cornwall
- Willing to travel extensively to coffee regions.
Desirable qualities to have
- Experience roasting on Loring SmartRoast roasting machine(s) (S70, S35)
- Fluent in Spanish or Portuguese or a willingness to learn either preferably Spanish
Origin Coffee is committed to making inclusivity, diversity, and equity part of everything we do, for our people to feel like they belong and are valued, respected, and supported to succeed.
Origin Coffee has come a long way over the last 18 years - and we're just getting started. As we continue to grow, we value and recognise the importance of building a workforce as diverse and unique as the journeys we take to source exceptional coffee. So we take great care to develop and nurture relationships with producers, scrutinise the supply chain, and seek innovative ways to craft incredible products with care--all made possible through the individuals who come together at Origin.
We are constantly reviewing and improving how and what we do, starting from within:
- better representation across our teams
- support flexible working continuously working towards removing barriers and bias
- building inclusive teams who represent people from all groups in society
- building a workplace environment where people are encouraged to speak out against discrimination and unfair treatment in any form
- supporting all our people to bring their whole and best selves to w
Salary and Benefits
Up to £40,000-£50,000 FTE per annum
34 days holiday, including bank holidays and your birthday off (pro-rata for part-time)
Employer (5%) and Employee (3%) pension contribution – employees can increase their contribution.
Mental Health and Physical First Aid Training
We provide our employees with a toolkit for preventing and addressing mental health crises in and out of work, providing genuine support, safety, and happiness in the workplace.
Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, IVF Journey Leave and Pay
We recognise the importance of family and provide enhanced pay to support all parents and their journey to becoming one
Transitioning at Work Policy
We want everyone at Origin Coffee to feel comfortable being themselves at work. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and supporting our colleagues who identify as trans, and providing support through any transitioning process.
Financial Wellbeing Support
We have partnered with Wagestream, a financial well-being provider that offers financial coaching, money management, debt advice, and individually tailored advice.
Employee Assistant Programme
A comprehensive suite of support from our EAP Hospitality Action, including help with physical, mental, and financial wellness at work
Continued Professional Development
We invest in all our employees by supporting personal development and encouraging you to broaden your experience and learning potential, led by you.
Everyone who works for Origin can embark on the SCA training programme. Depending on your learning readiness, you can dip your toe in or immerse yourself fully. It's pretty addictive!
An Employee Referral Scheme
Once you join Origin, you'll want to introduce like-minded people to us. When you do, they settle in and pass their probation, and you earn £200
Two days per year off for volunteering, cycle to work scheme, free coffee at work and to take home, discounts in all our cafes and on our merchandise and partners. And, of course, regular social and team events serve exceptional food, drink, and fantastic coffee!