Life at Elvie; Meaningful work, Exceptional People
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
Find out more about life at Elvie here.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
Did you know?
In some regions our amazing products are considered to be medical devices. This means we maintain our Medical Device quality management system in compliance with ISO 13485:2016, to support the development of our groundbreaking products
About the role:
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
As a Senior Electronics Engineer your role sits within the Electronics and Embedded Firmware Team. You will be primarily focused on electronics design of new products and the maintenance and Continual Improvement of existing products. This will typically involve schematic capture, PCB layout, proto-typing and debugging of novel and existing hardware and test jigs. However, you will also be deeply involved in designing and documenting the system architecture on the projects you are responsible for and you will have a large overlap with the embedded firmware teams. You will be expected to actively support the firmware development on the hardware you design and you will liaise with Product Managers to help breakdown and specify product requirements. You may also work with our contract manufacturers, external and internal test-houses to perform product performance, EMC and other regulatory testing. Your work will have a direct impact on the lives of women and families globally, as your designs will serve both next generation products as well as being included in the products currently being mass produced.
You will have passion for technology and a deep understanding of industry leading best practices. You will be familiar with eCAD systems, Design for Manufacture and Assembly, connected devices (BLE) and low power design. Experience of designing for medical devices would also be desirable.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our Bristol office & working from home, lots of flexibility for working from home
Employment type: Permanent (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie:
- Electronics design of connected devices (BLE)
- Component selection & evaluation
- Schematics Capture & PCB Layout (Altium Designer)
- Design and Specification of production line test protocols & jigs
- Contract Manufacturer liaison and design transfer
- Firmware implementation ( C/C++, on an RTOS (Zephyr), driver development etc. )
- Debug and fault diagnosis on both prototype and in-field devices
- Working with Product stakeholders to breakdown and specify requirements
- Writing documentation for your designs
- Working closely with other Electronics, Firmware and Test Engineers to understand hardware/firmware requirements and interfaces
What we are looking for:
- Good connected device design and debug experience
- Good eCAD experience ( ideally Altium Designer )
- Good understanding of Design for Manufacture & Assembly at volume
- Good experience of Regulatory Testing (EMC, BLE & General Safety for Medical Devices)
- Experience with writing Firmware for BLE embedded systems (ideally Nordic chipsets)
- Experience with firmware development tools (Git, Cmake, Zephyr, Docker, VsCode, JIRA etc.)
The benefits you’ll get:
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity & adoption (16 weeks at full pay, then 8 weeks paid at 75% followed by 15 weeks at SMP rate.), paternity/partner (6 weeks at full pay to take at any point during the first year of your child’s life), shared parental leave
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 20-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 30 minute video call with the hiring manager and another team member
- 60 minute video interview with the team (including a technical task)
This is undoubtedly a great time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humour helps too. 😉
We can’t wait to hear from you!
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0203 884 7223.