We’ve come a long way since 2004—and we’re just getting started.
As one of the longest-standing independent coffee roasters on UK shores, the love of coffee fuels everything we do. We work on challenging the expected, crafting tangible experiences and products that are impactful and progressive. We work hard and with integrity to shape and share exceptional coffee fairly with all. As a B-Corp-accredited coffee roaster, we’re not here to jump on bandwagons. No greenwashing. No jargon: an inclusive, global community, listening and speaking up for the future we believe in.
We build, nurture, and champion relationships at the source, celebrating farmers, cooperatives, and producers. We support direct trade, traceability, and quality. From crop to cup, every step of our journey is considered; we’re proud to be held accountable, always striving for better ways to do business, placing people and the planet before profit.
Dedicated, curious, driven, and open-minded, we’re not afraid to push boundaries and shape positive change. With a growing team of award-winning coffee professionals, a world-class coffee programme, six coffee shops, and an ever-evolving product range, we continue to work hard to create inclusive spaces within Origin as well as everywhere we go, where conversations can grow. We move fast yet stay grounded, cutting paths through the noise, and have a lot of fun along the way. We’re here for ideas, rolling up our sleeves, and sharing new perspectives. Opportunities are on the table—yours to shape, with full support.
Join us in pursuit of coffee excellence.
The role overview
Working closely with the Board and Senior Leadership Team in developing production and operations strategy, Origin is looking for an energetic, dynamic individual that can take responsibility, be adaptable and fundamentally be driven by delivering strong performance from our new roastery in Porthleven, Cornwall.
Origin is at a critical turning point. With growth above 45% in the past 12 months and the first 3 months of 2023 at a further 23%, we are looking for a dynamic, self-aware, and inspiring leader to influence and shape our production operation through the next phase of our journey. Our brand communicates why, who and what we do. If this challenge resonates with you and you’re ready to transform our operation for growth and share our ambitions, read on.
You will define success by transforming Origin’s production operation. You will lead yourself and implement how to cultivate fit-for-purpose behaviours, short-term responses to crises, and new processes and shape the people in your team to deliver. You’ll be able to say, “I did that” and “this is the team that got me there”. As Head of Operations, this role will have tactical responsibility for implementing strategic and operational goals to exceed customer expectations for product quality, cost and delivery, maximising efficiency, optimising production levels and driving operational excellence from Origin’s newly built roastery in Porthleven.
Working with internal and external key stakeholders, this role will ensure Origin strives for operational excellence of output and business practices delivering forecasts, and managing teams and projects across our business. With previous experience in the specialty coffee industry, you will hold full operational responsibility, demonstrating clear leadership, vision, and inspiration, motivating all of Origin’s production and warehouse teams to achieve excellence, and mentoring them as they develop new skills and improve ways of working.
Driving Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) across all areas of the production function to ensure that all roasted coffee is delivered on cost and on time to the highest quality standards, a responsibility planned and shared with our Head of Coffee.
The role will have complete oversight of Health, Safety and Environmental issues prioritised and facilitated, direct implementation of lean principles and drive continuous improvement across all operational-related areas of the business, including production and retail operations.
The role responsibilities
Strategy and development
- Overall responsibility for all production and despatch activities.
- Create and implement best practices for production vision, strategy, policies, processes, and procedures to aid and improve Origin’s business performance.
- Ensure Origin’s production strategies and processes are in place to meet business objectives and operational needs regarding price, quality, and delivery targets, enabling Origin to function and compete effectively in the market.
- Evaluate the challenges faced by the business and take action to mitigate risks and develop opportunities.
- Ensure health, safety and environmental updates are implemented as regulations continue to develop, remain innovative, lawful, and fit for purpose as operational changes evolve and respond to new ways of working.
- Contribute to overall business strategy and annual budget process.
- Take ownership of all production policies, guidelines, and any associated documents.
- Initiate and develop creative and innovative production processes.
General and task management
- Lead, develop and implement variable cost productivity programmes across all areas of responsibility.
- Implement a customer-focused operational culture delivering world-class production levels of activity.
- Coordinate team activities to optimise the cost performance of Origin’s roasted coffee production and minimise waste through the development of a continuous improvement culture encompassing lean principles and clear strategic development.
- Develop and manage a master production schedule and operations budgets for roasted coffee to directly support and ensure wholesale and retail products are delivered to agreed cost, quality, and timelines.
- Coordinate output through regular liaison, including direct communication with our Head of Coffee, customer service, marketing, and wholesale leads.
- Plan and execute maintenance activity to ensure all our production equipment is kept safe and compliant (3 coffee roasters and 1 form and fill machine).
- Provide design for production (manufacturing) input at early stages in the new product development process, coordinating with and supporting the new product development team to implement new and revised designs and developing effective processes to ensure manufacturability of product while maintaining quality, safety and environmental standards and achieving cost targets.
- Manage the accurate and on-time introduction of new weekly feature coffee products.
- Support project management to cross-functional activity required for project execution.
- Ensure that Environmental, Health and Safety, manufacturing and quality standards and procedures are adhered to.
Health and Safety
- Facilitate and prioritise all health, safety and environmental responsibilities, including direct implementation of standards and laws to ensure Origin is compliant, establishing policies that will create and maintain a safe workplace.
- Identify and discover opportunities and areas for improving conditions.
- Drive improvements in reliability for critical aspects of machinery by completing reliability studies and identifying the best-planned maintenance strategy.
- Operate a process for the safe selection of external contractors. In conjunction with the Production and Warehouse Manager, ensure all external maintenance contracts for the best value.
- Ensure that Environmental, Health and Safety, manufacturing and quality standards and procedures are adhered to.
Financial and budget management
- Input and hold responsibility for both production and warehouse budgets.
- Prepare the annual production budget and forecasts.
- Expenditure proposals and ensuring compliance with legal standards; manage the budget from identification to completion of projects.
- Provide leadership to the packing and warehouse teams under control and coach, mentor, and develop direct reports and manage high-performing teams that deliver continuous improvement, added value and cost reductions.
- Establish a strategy and best practices for Origin employees to ensure the achievement of overall business objectives.
- To work with the Head of Coffee and SLT to translate production strategy into specific annual performance goals and departmental objectives, including KPIs, and to track them.
- Set department objectives and monitor ongoing progress and performance.
- Ensure strong communication between teams under leadership to facilitate the exchange of information and to implement change and improvements.
- Ensure that the function operates by any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and well-being of staff and visitors.
- Responsible for developing the appropriate organisational structure, resource plans and culture to support Origin’s business objectives and customer deliverables.
- Provide leadership, coordination and coaching to the team, ensuring they are trained, enabling them to achieve the operational and financial metrics within their areas of responsibility and succeed in their roles.
- Complete regular performance reviews, and manage attendance, holidays, disciplinary issues, and procedures as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance.
- Proactively work with product line management, engineering, service, and other departments to incorporate best practices into the manufacturing environment.
- Report on production activities regularly to the senior leadership team, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the relevant KPIs.
- Work collaboratively, negotiate and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the manufacturing strategy.
- Communicate with stakeholders the impact of technology change and potential effects on supply.
- Recommend solutions without compromising quality or service while optimising cost.
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on production activities.
- Liaise with Origin’s Sustainability Manager to;
- Review environmental strategies that impact future ways of operating and ensure implementation where possible.
- Review the use of technological systems that support a more environmentally friendly approach.
- Review opportunities to be as environmentally friendly as possible.
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with Health & Safety regulations, the Company Handbook, Quality and Environmental standards, and all other Origin company policies and procedures.
- You naturally inspire and motivate your direct team and those you work with.
- Consistently manages performance firmly and fairly.
- Knows and develops the team.
- Resilient, optimistic, and open to change.
- Is self-aware.
- Shows moral courage, openness, and honesty in all dealings.
- Is confident, assertive, and self-assured.
- Brings a professional and collaborative approach to others.
To be successful in this role, these are the things that matter the most
- You have experience working in the speciality coffee industry with a full understanding of the green bean buying process, coffee profiling, roasting, quality control and assurance processes.
- You have experience in leading and designing Lean Manufacturing goals and strategies for improving the operations and processes within an organisation.
- You have proven experience in implementing operational activity supported by data.
- You have experience in communicating guidelines to a multidisciplinary workforce, ensuring health and safety legal requirements are met, and supporting occupational health standards.
- Proven leadership and management skills with the ability to optimise team performance and development through coaching.
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key stakeholders and suppliers.
- A strong and confident negotiator with the ability to negotiate at all levels.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Ability to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements.
- Excellent technical, analytical, and problem-solving abilities.
- Results-orientated with the ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines.
- Commercially and financially astute with experience in managing budgets.
- Resilient, self-motivated, and able to work well under pressure.
Essential qualities to have
- Educated to degree level (preferably Masters) in a relevant manufacturing or production discipline or equivalent NVQ Level 7 qualification.
- Demonstrable experience in leading a manufacturing and production function with a proven track record in strategic leadership, delivering effective manufacturing/production strategies, policies, processes, and systems.
- Deep understanding of health and safety guidelines.
- Good knowledge of data analysis and risk assessments.
- Proven project management and building a quality experience.
- Experience in operating and influencing at a strategic level.
- Knowledge and technical understanding of processes, components, and manufacturing techniques.
- Numerate with strong commercial acumen.
- Experience in using stock inventory systems.
- Excellent Excel skills and other Microsoft.
- Willing to relocate to Cornwall.
Desirable qualities to have
- Roasting experience
- Green bean buying
- Preferably a Fellow or Chartered Member of an industry-related Professional Body.
Origin Coffee is committed to making inclusivity, diversity, and equity part of everything we do, for our people to feel like they belong and are valued, respected, and supported to succeed.
Origin Coffee has come a long way over the last 18 years - and we're just getting started. As we continue to grow, we value and recognise the importance of building a workforce as diverse and unique as the journeys we take to source exceptional coffee. We take great care to develop and nurture relationships with producers, scrutinise the supply chain, and seek innovative ways to craft incredible products with care--all made possible through the individuals who come together at Origin.
We are constantly reviewing and improving how and what we do, starting from within:
- better representation across our teams
- support flexible working continuously working towards removing barriers and bias
- building inclusive teams who represent people from all groups in society
- building a workplace environment where people are encouraged to speak out against discrimination and unfair treatment in any form
- supporting all our people to bring their whole and best selves to work.
Salary and Benefits
Up to £45,500-£55,000 FTE per annum
34 days holiday, including bank holidays and your birthday off (pro-rata for part-time)
Employer (5%) and Employee (3%) pension contribution – employees can increase their contribution.
Mental Health and Physical First Aid Training
We provide our employees with a toolkit for preventing and addressing mental health crises in and out of work, providing genuine support, safety, and happiness in the workplace.
Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, IVF Journey Leave and Pay
We recognise the importance of family and provide enhanced pay to support all parents and their journey to becoming one
Transitioning at Work Policy
We want everyone at Origin Coffee to feel comfortable being themselves at work. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and supporting our colleagues who identify as trans, and providing support through any transitioning process.
Financial Wellbeing Support
We have partnered with Wagestream, a financial well-being provider that offers financial coaching, money management, debt advice, and individually tailored advice.
Employee Assistant Programme
A comprehensive suite of support from our EAP Hospitality Action, including help with physical, mental, and financial wellness at work
Continued Professional Development
We invest in all our employees by supporting personal development and encouraging you to broaden your experience and learning potential, led by you.
Everyone who works for Origin can embark on the SCA training programme. Depending on your learning readiness, you can dip your toe in or immerse yourself fully. It's pretty addictive!
An Employee Referral Scheme
Once you join Origin, you'll want to introduce like-minded people to us. When you do, they settle in and pass their probation, and you earn £200
Two days per year off for volunteering, cycle to work scheme, free coffee at work and to take home, discounts in all our cafes and on our merchandise and partners. And, of course, regular social and team events serve exceptional food, drink, and fantastic coffee!