Working as part of our delivery team, you will be responsible for implementing features for new and existing projects. This will include greenfield projects and updates to existing ones in a variety of languages and frameworks.
Your main areas of responsibility are:
- Supporting the Project Lead to specify work and accurately estimate it
- Completing work assigned to you on time, on-spec, and free from defects
- Writing clean, testable, and well-documented back- and front-end code
- Configuring and maintaining deployment pipelines
- Occasionally troubleshooting live systems
- Actively participating in sprint ceremonies including daily standups and fortnightly retrospectives
Skills and experience
You will have been working in a similar role in an agency or similar environment for at least 3 years.
You will also need:
- Experience building bespoke websites (not from themes) with 1 or more modern CMS platforms (ideally Umbraco)
- Experience of implementing accessible, flexible and technically sound responsive CSS layouts from designs and style guides using well-known CSS frameworks
- Experience of working with at least 1 and preferably more databases like MongoDB, Elasticsearch, MySQL, and SQL Server
- Experience of working collaboratively with a Project Manager and other developers to ensure deadlines are met and unexpected issues are tackled quickly and effectively
- A professional, completer-finisher mindset that allows you to progress work effectively
- Great attention to detail
- The ability to think analytically and break complex problems down into simpler, interconnected steps
Our ideal candidate will:
- Live up to our “own it” principle by embracing autonomy and being comfortable delivering outcomes and results
- Live up to our “bias for action” principle by being an advocate of agile concepts – conversation over documentation, people over process, working software as the primary measure of progress
- Be comfortable leading a team in a flat structure, where what you do holds much more sway than what you say
- Be looking for a progression journey which will stretch and reward you as the business grows
- Be realistic about what it’s like to work in an agency environment – agencies are imperfect businesses, sometimes priorities have to change, and often pragmatism is required to balance different priorities
We operate a hybrid model, and depending on your location we will agree the balance that works best for both of us. A relocation package may be available if you’re looking to relocate, but you will need to have relocated by your start date.
We’re open to full- or part-time candidates, and we’re especially keen to hear from anyone looking to return to work after parental leave or a career break.
As you develop in the role, you will take a more active role in solution architecture and our overall tech stack choices.
If progression is your thing, over the next 2-3 years you will have the opportunity to choose the direction you would like to develop your career in – it could be as a Senior Developer, or as a Project Lead, or as Lead Developer, or something else completely. To help you get there, you will have the support of an experienced Non-Executive Director with extensive agency experience and whatever training is needed.