Join a unique company that combines the excitement of working in a high-growth tech startup with the fulfilment of creating life-changing social impact
At Beam, you get to do work that really matters. We’re solving the world’s toughest social problems. And we’re growing fast 🚀
About the role
We’re looking for a Senior Operations Executive (or ‘caseworker’) to transform the lives of disadvantaged people by supporting them into stable jobs and homes.
What’s the role like?
You’ll be joining a team of values-driven and creative Operations Executives while being individually responsible for supporting a caseload of people referred to Beam - our “members”. This role will support our Manchester region caseload and will have a flexible hybrid working pattern between members locations, home and trips to London.
After an immersive training period, you’ll help our members to picture a brighter future before guiding them through concrete steps to achieve their goals.
That means everything from teaching critical skills - like CV writing or house hunting - to coaching and developing vital levels of self-confidence.
This is a great opportunity to be amongst Beam’s first senior hires outside of London and be at the forefront of our expansion across the UK. You’ll become an expert in understanding the support needs of our members across your region and you should be excited by the significant scope for this role to develop and progress - including the potential for team management down the line or growing your impact as an individual contributor.
You’ll initially split your time between delivering virtual support to Beam members from home and in-person support from sites across the region (e.g. community centres). You’ll have travel expenses covered to visit our London office to spend time with and learn from our HQ team on a regular basis (e.g. once per month). As regional teams grow, we will look to offer access to local co-working spaces as an additional work location.
- Independently managing a caseload - running remote and in-person meetings to support people into stable homes and jobs
- Designing support for new cohorts - crafting action plans and appropriate training materials for new member groups that can be rolled out across the team
- Role modelling excellence - looking to develop specialist focus that you can build into the team, coaching team members to expand their impact and, if interested, developing skills towards becoming a manager
- Wearing your problem-solving hat - the people we support have unique barriers and you’ll constantly find creative ways to overcome them and hunt down the best opportunities for progression
- Working towards social impact targets - using our cutting-edge in-house tech tools to progress members towards their goals
- Testing new ways of working - great Operations Executives look to supercharge our operational model so Beam will scale to support millions of people
- Determined - changing lives is not easy and you’re someone who loves hard challenges
- Humble and supportive - your members will have their ups and downs but you’ll stick with them
- Emotionally mature and confident - you’ll need to set boundaries and know when to communicate clearly
- Adaptable and resilient - you’re someone who’s energised by ever-changing and fast-paced environments
- An ideas person - you’re driven to find new and better ways of doing things
- Willing and able to travel - support for members can often be delivered in-person (up to several times per week)
- Experience-ideally relevant experience in a fast paced work environment, like an intensive frontline casework role or a high growth start-up
- Strong communication skills - you’ll regularly be communicating with a diverse group of members as well as internal stakeholders and our government partners
- Experience and comfort with multi-tasking - you’ll need to be comfortable moving forward many people’s cases each week
- Compassion for people in tough situations - some of our members have been through very challenging times and you’ll need strong listening skills and compassion
- Resilience and a positive attitude - we’ll be honest, there are countless easier jobs than being an Operations Executive, but almost none as meaningful
- Respect for data-driven decision-making - alongside your humanity, you’ll appreciate the importance of acting on data
- Extra languages are a cherry on top - right now, we’re on the lookout for Welsh and Ukrainian speakers!
Sound like you? Perhaps you don’t feel you tick every box - that’s OK, we encourage those who feel 70/75% confident with the role, to please hit ‘Apply’, especially if you’re excited about helping kickstart a new era of opportunity for those left behind!
We’re a team of over 100 working from our beautiful coworking space in Shoreditch and from home. We’ve picked up an armful of awards for our work (including one from our former Queen!) We’re one of the 10 hottest startups in London, according to WIRED magazine and one of LinkedIn’s Top 15 UK Startups for 2022. We’re also proud to be rated a top company to work for Escape the City, Tempo and The Dots.
We’re committed to hiring diversely and inclusively. You don’t need a degree to work here and we love to hear from ethnic minority candidates and/or those who’ve experienced social disadvantage. 65% of the people we support are from ethnic minority backgrounds and 17% have disabilities. We believe we serve these people best when we’re a diverse and inclusive team.
- Starting salary of £35-45K - highly competitive for tech for good and social impact
- EMI-qualifying share options
- On-demand therapy, coaching, classes & content - powered by Oliva
- Annual company retreat
- New laptop – choose between a MacBook Air or PC
- £500 personal development budget
- 1:1 workplace coaching with More Happi
- Regular team talks from leading UK tech entrepreneurs
- Free subscription to Calm meditation app
- Discounted bike and accessories with Cyclescheme
- Discounted tech products with Techscheme
- Unlimited holiday (we recommend ~25 days + Bank Holidays per year)
- Your own financial well-being coach, through Bippit
We have a four-stage interview process, giving you plenty of time to learn about Beam while we get to know you:
- 30-minute video call with a member of the talent team
- Timed scenario-based tasks, giving you a better sense of the role
- Role play discussions with members of the team
- Final interview with one or both of our Founders
- We are accepting rolling applications for this role, with no fixed close date
- We have a 6-month wait period before you can re-apply for this role
- Unfortunately, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship to candidates