bit.bio is an award-winning spinout from the University of Cambridge. Our breakthrough technology combines synthetic and stem cell biology for the precise, efficient and consistent reprogramming of human cells used in research, drug discovery, and cell therapy. At bit.bio, we are passionate about engineering human cells that will enable the medicine of the future. To do this we need talented and curious people who want to make an impact on the future of science and therapeutics.
As a team of individuals, we value science, collaboration, openness, curiosity and creativity. We are united by trust and respect for each other.
Location: Boston, USA
Type: Full time, permanent
Salary: Competitive / Hours: 40 p/w
Remote position with international travel
Your role in our team:
We are looking to appoint a VP/SVP, Pharma BD & Cell Therapy Partnerships to our BD Licensing & Alliance Management team. He/she should have a strong scientific and licensing/deal background to be able to support our efforts in cell therapy and regenerative medicine. The VP/SVP, Pharma BD & Cell Therapy Partnerships will play an integral role in a business-critical function that directly impacts bit.bio’s mission of delivering a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
You will join an established and expanding commercial operations team, will report directly to the CBO and liaise directly with external partners and the internal scientific function. The role will also involve close collaboration with our scientific teams, as well as internal and external legal and Intellectual Property (IP) counsels. The VP/SVP Pharma BD and Cell Therapy Partnerships will work closely with the senior leadership team of bit.bio to define and execute on the company’s strategic priorities for the next 5-10 years and will partner across the organisation on critical initiatives in support of bit.bio’s corporate strategy.
Given the high visibility to Executive Leadership, this role presents excellent career advancement opportunities
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Support the development of bit.bio’s partnering and acquisition strategy, and work closely with other team members to deliver on a broad BD agenda
- Lead concurrently several projects and effectively partner with other functions (e.g R&D, commercial, manufacturing, finance and portfolio strategy) on developing each business case
- Lead a cross-functional team to identify areas of growth and potential collaboration opportunities
- Develop business cases for various partnering/investment opportunities, including deal-specific financial analysis (accounting for strategic, financial, legal and tax implications)
- Run the full lifecycle of a transaction:
- Develop - and execute on - an outreach strategy to prospective partners
- Manage a cross-functional team throughout deal cycle
- Coordinate detailed diligence processes
- Lead structuring, negotiation and execution
- Work closely with legal counsel on drafting and negotiation of term sheets and agreements
- Deliver compelling, audience-specific scientific and business presentations
- Establish highly effective relationships with internal stakeholders and senior management
- Represent bit.bio externally, including at partnering and industry conferences, promote bit.bio as a partner of choice and develop collaborative relationships across the industry
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to and provide leadership on the strategy and execution of the business development roadmap for the emerging field of cell therapy, and prioritisation of activities.
- Provide outstanding transaction skills through the entire deal making process to secure and implement attractive deals.
- Drive and contribute to high profile cross-functional teams including R&D, Finance Legal to ensure that key risks and opportunities are identified, captured, and presented in an unbiased way to senior management for decision making.
- Provide oversight to Alliance and Project Management teams ensuring excellent relationship management and agenda setting with external strategic partnerships.
- Identify areas of innovation and growth opportunities aligned with overall corporate strategy.
- Leverage and continuously strengthen broad academic, venture and industry networks to secure the identification of the most attractive partnering opportunities.
- Proactively monitor the external business environment and maintain a knowledge base of licensing transactions and other company activities.
- Lead with authenticity and a sense of urgency that inspires the cross-functional team to communicate openly and thrive together.
- Have a strong scientific background (MSc or equivalent experience) and significant experience of business development and alliances management within the biotech/pharma industry, to include knowledge of/expertise with advanced modalities (cell and gene therapy); business development experience includes deal sheets, including research collaborations with pharma companies
- Are a proven leader with the ability to rapidly establish credibility, trust, and respect across the organisation to operate as a true strategic thought partner across the business
- Lead by example when working in a matrix environment to enable and inspire commercially-driven outcomes
- Are a strong communicator and influencer, able to effectively articulate scientific, commercial and financial concepts, especially when presenting to C-level, investors or Boards
- Excel in negotiation and conflict resolution with specific emphasis on deal making
- Have strong networking capability, able to build and maintain a strong corporate profile for bit.bio
- Have the ability to develop, contribute to, communicate and act on a strategic vision and plan; have strong judgment, problem-solving, conflict resolution and decision-making skills; have strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
With essential experience in…
- Candidates should have formal experience in the deal execution process, in particular the search and evaluation process.
- Proven ability to source, structure, negotiate and close different types of partnerships from discovery stage assets through commercialization stage
- A strong scientific and licensing/deal background to be able to support our efforts in cell therapy and regenerative medicine
- Ability to combine an understanding of science and technologies with business considerations and commercial and financial models
- Proven aptitude for working with term sheets and contracts to drive successful commercial outcomes.
- Ability to deliver results when working in transverse, cross-‐functional, cross-cultural teams with matrix reporting relationships is required
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external senior executives is required
- Ability to influence peers and seniors to make difficult choices and trade-offs is required
- Experience in representing company/institution at partnering and technical conferences
- Candidates should possess a strong domestic and international external network in relevant fields, via Pharma, biotechs, academics and VCs
- Advanced degree (PhD) preferred; MBA or equivalent qualification is preferred
- Preference for sell-side business development experience to large pharma organisations
More reasons to join us:
bit.bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. We work with cutting edge technologies and with our world-leading scientific advisory board. We conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
We trust our people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. We invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
Creativity and open minds are encouraged for everyone to contribute to the success of the company.
For information on how we will manage your data please see our Candidate Privacy Notice