Chess.com is one of the largest gaming sites in the world and the #1 platform for playing, learning, and enjoying chess.
We are a team of 650+ fully remote people in 60+ countries working hard to serve the global chess community. We are here to support 125M+ chess players worldwide with the best possible product, content, and tools to serve the community!
We are a tech company. A gaming company. A content company. And we do it all with passion and commitment to the game. Above all we prize our mission-driven, flat, life-celebrating, no-corporate culture, and we look forward to meeting you and learning more about what you can bring to the team.
You have passion and experience in running well-organized gaming events and tournaments. You will report to the VP of Esports, Michael Brancato, and help ensure rock-solid competitive operations for players and fans. You are not only a chess fan, but a fan of all things competitive gaming. You hold fairness and competitive integrity above all else and understand that tournaments occasionally require difficult heat-of-the-moment decision-making. You understand that chess has a truly global community spanning all timezones, and are comfortable working occasional early mornings, evenings, or weekends.
What You’ll Do
- Directly oversee all aspects of event and tournament operations, including but not limited to player communication, player experience, logistical preparation, rules and compliance, event execution, broadcast coordination, results tracking, and prize fulfillment
- Create long term, scalable processes and policies that raise the bar for competitive operations and broadcast integration
- Collaborate with product, fair play, and broadcast teams to shape the player, fan, and staff experience as it pertains to events and tournaments
- Draft and finalize tournament rules and regulations with an exceedingly high attention to detail.
- Manage the event coordinator team
- Act as a key, level-headed decision-maker for competitive rulings and dispute resolution
- Cultivate working relationships with professional and aspiring chess players
- Assist the VP of Esports in designing tournament formats & schedules focused on delivering the best experience to players and fans
- 3-5+ years of experience related to competitive gaming operations
- Proficiency with Google Sheets
- Experience working in broadcast environments for gaming events
- Knowledge of industry-standard tools for tournament operations such as Challonge, Start.gg, and Battlefy, as well as Chess.com’s own software
- Experience coordinating with VIP/Celebrity talent
- Strong collaboration and communication skills working in a fully distributed team
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
About the Opportunity
- This is a full-time position
- We are 100% remote (always have been, always will be!)
- This is open to applicants based in US or EU
You can learn more about us here:
We look forward to meeting you!