Job Title: Head of Prudential Risk
Working Pattern: Monday to Friday (09:00-17:00)
Salary: dependent on experience, plus up to 30% bonus and benefits
Location: hybrid working from our London office. We’re currently relocating offices with the new London location being announced soon.
We’re Tandem. The UK’s fairer, greener, digital bank providing hard working people across the UK with greener ways to spend, borrow and save. With more than 500 people in London, Blackpool, Cardiff, Durham and Manchester, all working together to create a fairer, greener, more accessible bank for people across the UK.
We’re on a mission to proactively help our customers to reduce their carbon footprint and accelerate the UK to net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 and we need more people to help us achieve this goal.
We've taken the beliefs, behaviours, and personality and created four underpinning values. These values demonstrate our guiding principles and behaviours for everyone at Tandem. Our ambition is that these values are ingrained and always front of mind when we're engaging with our stakeholder audiences. Our values are BRAVE, ENTERPRISING, SIMPLE and TOGETHER.
The Head of Prudential Risk, directly reporting to the Chief Risk Officer, will provide subject matter expertise and leadership of Tandem Bank’s 2nd line prudential risk management department, covering ALM, Capital and Liquidity Management as well as counterparty credit risk. The role holder will: attend the Executive Risk Committee and the Asset & Lability Committee; be a member of the Pricing Committee and chair the Prudential Risk Working Group. The role holder will be required to develop and robustly implement a Prudential Risk Management Framework consistent with the Bank’s Enterprise Risk Management Framework alongside the Bank’s Three Lines of Defense Model.
What you will be working on:
- Lead, recruit, develop, direct and establish a highly performing and respected and sought-after 2nd Line Prudential Risk Management Team covering ALM (including RRBB), Capital, Liquidity/ & Funding, regulatory reporting and counterparty credit risk management.
- Develop and maintain relevant frameworks, policies, and standards to ensure that the Board's risk appetite and all regulatory requirements are met.
- Identify, develop and deploy appropriate prudential and financial risk management tools, techniques and strategies to ensure prudential and financial risk management across Tandem Bank is value-adding and contributes towards the overall strategy and performance of the business.
- Presenting to relevant committees (Boards, Board Committees, Executive Committees) on relevant topics in prudential and financial risk management.
- Champion and stakeholder manage robust prudential risk compliance culture across the Bank.
- Promote a strong risk culture with open and forward-looking debate on business decisions and their potential impacts on the Bank and its customers.
- Support the application of risk systems and controls framework, and “identify and address” prudential and compliance risks.
- Provide oversight and challenge to the business on all prudential risk related matters to ensure effective management of these risks across the business.
- Provide independent technical and expert advice to the Bank on all prudential risk subject matters including training and support to the business as required.
- Provide an independent view on business plans, product launches, technologies, change initiatives and transactions to ensure they take full account of regulatory requirements with a focus on complying with prudential regulatory requirements.
- Deliver the Bank’s ICAAP working alongside and project-managing across the Bank.
- Oversee the delivery of the ILAAP and Recovery plan.
- Develop, deliver and report on the risk-based annual prudential assurance plan including regulatory reporting.
- Identify, report, and escalate potential non-compliance or breaches to the CRO and senior management of the Bank as appropriate.
- Undertake special investigation of breaches/potential breaches of regulation and report to the CRO and Chair of the Board Risk Committee as appropriate.
- Ensure appropriate prudential risk management information (MI) is available to the relevant governance bodies within the business on a timely basis.
- Undertake horizon scanning on all regulatory matters and oversight business readiness to demonstrate compliance with relevant new prudential regulation.
- Support the CRO manage regulatory relationship with the PRA as required.
What we're looking for:
- Degree or equivalent academic achievement, and/or relevant professional qualifications. Risk Management Qualification (CERA, IRM) preferable.
- At least 5 years of relevant banking experience of leading prudential Risk functions or equivalent in the retail Banking environment with a proven track record of working effectively with senior management on the risk agenda.
- Determined, result-orientated mind set with a “can do” attitude and the ability to work in a fast paced environment, think strategically and translate that into proportionate and practical actions.
- Demonstrated senior stakeholder engagement/stakeholder management experience, including the ability to influence and be seen as a significant key advisor on matters of risks and controls.
- Strong technical competence in the subject matter of the assigned work, as well as appropriate judgement in identifying and addressing issues and emerging risks. Delivery or oversight of ICAAP, ILAAP, and the Recovery plan is a must.
- Proven leadership skills, as well as the ability to act as a role model and inspire others to deliver high quality work in a timely manner.
- The ability to balance diplomacy with assertiveness and to identify and deal with particularly difficult or complex issues in a straightforward manner.
- Demonstrates efficiency and persistence and ensure that agreed objectives and deadlines are achieved even when faced with problems, challenges, and pressure.
- Can independently anticipate reactions and/or objections to proposed recommendations and seek to identify feasible strategies to overcome them without compromising team objectives, independence and standards.
- Demonstrates high-level communication skills, including the ability to communicate in a clear, succinct and professional manner in both written reports and oral/visual presentations.
- Demonstrates a high level of emotional intelligence and collaborative skills to deal with conflicts that might arise between an independent third line and management views and help to build the right culture for the firm.
Our rewards are getting a big update, with enhancements due to land throughout 2023!
- 25 days annual leave plus 8 days bank holiday
- 1 day off for your birthday
- Electric Vehicle scheme
- Free cereal and snacks in the office
- Cycle to work scheme and a free helmet
- Perkbox for treats and discounts
- Pension contribution
- 2 days per year paid volunteering
Take part in our Green Deal
- Volunteer 2 days a week for charity > receive an early Friday finish
- Raise £200 per annum for charity > Tandem provide PR and marketing support
- Have renewable energy at home > receive an additional 1-day annual leave
- Drive a lower emissions or hybrid car > free raffle entries with the chance to win a weekend away for 2
- Drive an electric car > receive £500 towards a home charger
Tandem is an equal opportunity employer and are committed to meeting our responsibilities under the Equality Act (2010). We respect the diverse experience and talents that every individual brings to our Company, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
Please be aware that background checking (including credit and criminal records checks) form part of our recruitment process. We will adhere to our duties under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.