Chess.comis one of the largest gaming sites in the world and the #1 platform for playing, learning, and enjoying chess.
We are a team of 600+ fully remote people in 60+ countries working hard to serve the global chess community. We are here to support 125M+ chess players worldwide with the best possible product, content, and tools to serve the community!
We are a tech company. A gaming company. A content company. And we do it all with passion and commitment to the game. Above all we prize our mission-driven, flat, life-celebrating, no-corporate culture, and we look forward to meeting you and learning more about what you can bring to the team.
As a leader and teammate within the production team covering LIVE chess broadcasts, you strive to provide creative gateways for new fans and players to connect with the game. You oversee the preparation, execution, and review of hundreds of hours of live broadcasts while maintaining the larger creative and editorial vision.
You are a natural mentor and agile coach, supporting a diverse team of broadcast personnel in areas such as storytelling, talent management, graphics creation, sponsorship integration, and post-production activities. Your expertise in all aspects of broadcast production inspires the team to continuously improve and deliver high-quality coverage of chess that rivals traditional sports broadcasts.
What You’ll Do
You will lead a dedicated, up-and-coming production team. You will be responsible for producing high-quality live broadcasts, featuring the best professional chess players in the world competing for the highest stakes in the game. You will create best in class broadcasts for our loyal community across various platforms belonging toChess.com, such as Twitch, YouTube, ChessTV, and linear TV.
- Collaborate with EP and CP to establish and execute editorial vision for 300+ days of live broadcasts, while creating distinctive show look and feel
- Manage logistics and pre-production of broadcasts while other broadcasts are "in" production with CP
- Plan and execute coverage of quarterly on-location, live events with EP and CP; able to "front row" produce those programs with large control room team
- Share key input with EP, CP, and senior leadership for quality consistency, particularly regarding graphics design
- Manage team of producers, including schedules, mentoring, and feedback; train them to "front row" produce on-site events and oversee their production
- Exercise strong editorial judgment adhering to company standards and practices
- Collaborate closely with multiple teams to create best broadcasting possible, including:
- Broadcast producers and engineers, including crewing, talent and guest handling, scheduling, 3rd party vendor vetting and hiring, budgets, travel, onsite location logistics, LIVE event logistics, and content licensing
- Content team to create compelling video content showcasing player personalities and storylines
- Graphics producer, designer, development team, and content statistician to develop fullscreen and automated graphics adding layers of storytelling and welcome new fans
- Community team to engage community during live broadcasts
- Tournament operations and game ops on format, scoring, logistics, and player access for all live broadcasts
- Become expert on pro chess news and storylines, including pro chess history, and respond adeptly to breaking news
- Support front row producer during live broadcasts and provide notes post-show when feasible
- 5+ years of "line" or "front row" producer experience in live broadcast environments, building rundowns, and leading control rooms for sports, esports, or news
- Managed producers or a team of producers for at least 2 years in a live broadcast environment
- Proven track record of producing and managing live broadcasts of 4+ hours per show
- Adept at establishing rapport with talent and communicating clearly throughout the production process
- Strong skills and experience in broadcast-style writing
- Excellent written, verbal, and time management skills, with communication being essential to success
- Working knowledge of live production tools and resources, including graphics, tape, audio, remote productions, and post-production
- Subject matter expertise in newsroom content management systems such as Rundown Creator, ENPS, ShoFlo, and others
- Strong collaboration and communication skills in a fully distributed team
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Available to work weekends, evenings, holidays, and overnights as required
- Bonus: passion for chess and the chess community
About the Opportunity
- This is a full-time position
- We are 100% remote (always have been, always will be!)
- US or Canadian applicants only
You can learn more about us here:
We look forward to meeting you!