Contract type: 12 month contract, with possibility of becoming permanent
Who it reports to: Head of Health
Salary: £39,260 - £42,494 + 8% pension contribution
Deadline for applications: End of day Tuesday 6th June
Interview dates: first round interviews will take place weeks commencing 12th and/or 19th June, second round weeks commencing 19th and/or 26th June
The Corporate Campaign Lead – Air Quality will develop ShareAction’s air quality campaign strategy and workplan, identifying industries and companies to target, and key asks we can make of companies. They will research and write an investor briefing on air quality detailing why and how investors should engage the companies they invest in. And they will work with our wider team to engage investors and targeted companies to encourage greater transparency and action.
Good health is heavily influenced by the world around us – the quality of work we do, the products and services we consume, the quality of air that we breathe. Despite over 7 million people dying each year as a result of poor air quality globally, companies’ air pollution emissions have long been overlooked by investors, Governments and companies themselves. This post will play a critical role in establishing air quality as an important aspect of health within the responsible investment landscape.
This post will develop and lead the air quality campaign of the Health programme at ShareAction, engaging large companies whose emissions are harming human health globally, and working in partnership with investors.
We have secured funding to pilot an air quality campaign from Clean Air Fund for 12 months. Therefore, this is a fixed term role, If the pilot is successful, we hope to secure funding for a larger, multi-year grant and may then be in a position to make the position permanent.
In time, this post may also develop further corporate campaigns in our Community Health pillar of work.
What you’ll bring to the team
Essential criteria required:
- A strategic thinker, able to critically assess a set of options and prioritise these for implementation.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to conduct a critical assessment of company approaches.
- Knowledge about air pollution, and the role that companies play within this.
- An interest in driving social impact through influencing commercial actors, including investors and companies.
- Experience of working with others to understand and define a problem and identify a set of solutions.
- Experience of developing high-quality written outputs and distilling complex scientific information into succinct briefings for a lay audience.
- Ability to build constructive partnerships and represent ShareAction externally.
- Ability to influence a range of stakeholders toward our goals, using persuasive arguments, tailored communication and negotiating skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, able to present clearly to groups of senior stakeholders.
- Collaborative team player with ability to join dots across teams and a keenness to help others to learn.
- Excellent organisational skills, proven ability to manage competing demands while still meeting deadlines.
- Able to comfortably use Microsoft Office Suite 365.
- An understanding of the investment system and how investors can influence companies.
- Experience commissioning or outsourcing work, developing specifications, and contracting with providers.
What we will do for you
Working with ShareAction will offer you the opportunity to achieve significant personal impact in one of the most respected and exciting organisations in the responsible investment space.
ShareAction seeks to offer all its employees an exceptional working experience with opportunities to develop existing and new skills, applying them in ways that help change the world for the better. You will be challenged but also supported very actively to succeed within a friendly, high performing and highly motivated team.
We commit to:
- Supporting you to be able to continue to grow your experience and give you space to try new and innovative ideas and approaches;
- Offering you formal training to build up your skill-set (as identified with your manager) and time to conduct informal training;
- Providing a flexible working environment – including hybrid working and compressed hours;
- Providing opportunities to attend, and play a key role in meetings with high profile stakeholders from across the public health, corporate and investment sectors.
ShareAction’s Health Programme supports investors to consider population health – and the factors that influence it – within their investment decision-making, their voting and their company engagement practices. It also partners with investors to engage companies to improve their health impacts on their workforce, consumers and on the communities they operate within. Through engaging companies such as Tesco and Unilever and using processes such as shareholder resolutions, the Health Team has driven greater transparency and action across the food industry on health and nutrition. It is also deepening its work to influence investors and policy makers, and build new corporate campaigns in areas such as air quality.
We are at a pivotal moment: the climate and biodiversity crises are deepening, and inequalities are even more marked in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic. The global investment system has an oversized impact on many of these global challenges We want to make sure that impact is positive. At ShareAction we work with investors, policymakers and individuals to unleash the positive potential of the investment system. We aim to build a world where our financial system serves our planet and its people.
ShareAction values and respects all differences in people (seen and unseen) and welcome applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries. We are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities and so if you are not 100 per cent sure that you meet all the requirements but believe you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and use the application questions to tell us about your experience and what you hope to bring to this role.
We also actively encourage staff to work in ways that best suit their needs and our flexible working policy outlines many of the options available- such as part-time and term-time working, job sharing, home working and working compressed hours. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Please note that to be considered for this post you must be legally eligible to work in the UK. Due to current restrictions we are unable to hire anyone that isn’t already living in the UK.
Due to our size we are unable to sponsor visas.
Please note that as part of the induction process, you will be expected to attend the London office in person during your first week in post, to cover items including Health & Safety, IT set-up, Office Orientation and Team member introductions.
Click on the apply button and apply on the organisation's website. Please mention Escape the City in your application.