South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As a Strategy Lab Research Specialist and part of the newly established Strategy Lab, you will support deep technical and commercial research into novel climate mitigation technologies for high-level strategic decision-making. In addition, you will report to the Senior Strategy Lab Researcher and work closely with the Technology Directors and the team responsible for setting and controlling the global strategy for all climate mitigation solutions offered by South Pole’s Climate Projects business line. Apart from assessing the effectiveness of climate change mitigation technologies through scientific literature reviews, you will deliver high-level commercial analyses of innovative climate projects in the carbon markets and have a significant impact by helping Strategy Directors turn vision into actionable strategy. The position offers a steep learning curve through the diverse nature of climate solutions under evaluation, varied tasks, and short feedback cycles.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Conduct commercial and market research for mitigation technologies and practices not currently served at South Pole
- Lead deep-technology research into breakthrough or blue-sky mitigation technologies and practices (e.g. novel nature-based solutions, agricultural practices, or negative emission technologies)
- Design and conduct desk research, secondary data collection, literature and evidence reviews
- Scope, plan, and coordinate research projects with multiple stakeholders
- Work with project teams on product development and defining business models, shaping insights into products that will change the market, help determine value propositions, positioning, target market, go-to-market strategy, business cases and processes for successful pilot launch and scaling of products.
- Summarise scientific findings for both board-level and company-wide audiences
- Actively contribute to knowledge management processes to socialise and validate our research insights across the company
- University degree in Environmental Sciences, climate, environmental and sustainability topics or related disciplines (completed M.Sc. or PhD)
- A few years professional experience in research, ideally in a research, strategy or business development context
- Demonstrated interest in climate, sustainability, and innovation topics
- Strong ability to draw tangible insights from wide range of qualitative and quantitative research data
- Developed analytical skills and the desire to constantly deepen these skills
- Solid understanding of research methods, validity and publications of results, consensus, peer-review, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and ability to clearly pull together a story based on data that will resonate with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong attention to detail and ability to deliver high quality results
- Able to manage your own time, projects and deadlines independently
- Proactive approach and business acumen
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment, with ambiguity and evolving research and business development priorities
- Have strong stakeholder management skills to engage with senior executives.
- Capable of acting independently and quickly identifying and addressing the areas of uncertainty that are important to resolve in the context of your projects.
- Excellent English writing and presentation skills
- Experience working on climate, sustainability, and innovation topics in the academic sector, research organizations, or consulting
- Experience with carbon markets and understanding of related climate policy topics
- Familiar with Google apps (Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Experience with quantitative methodologies (e.g. statistical analysis, testing hypothesis, robustness checks, scenario analysis, etc.)
- Proficiency in other languages such as German, French or Spanish is a plus.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.