City Operations Lead - Birmingham e-scooters
Birmingham, West Midlands
Salary expectation: £45,000-50,000
Start date: May 2023
End date: November 2025
Commencing hiring date: ASAP
Closing date: N/A
Here at Beryl, we have a clear vision: to build a better world by getting more people in cities moving sustainably...
Our aim is to be the UK's leading micromobility company, delivering financially sustainable shared schemes to UK communities. As the only B-Corp micromobility operator, we care about community, safety, the environment, and effective design.
Beryl is growing nationally, and now is the most exciting time to join our team.
We provide sustainable transport options to various cities nationwide through the provision of bike, e-bike and e-scooter schemes.We are looking for a talented City Lead/Contract Manager to join our Operations department to oversee our West Midlands e-scooter contract. The role will report to our Ops Solutions Director.
The role will be primarily based across the West Midlands area, with flexibility to work from home when appropriate, and with a hot-desk at our Operational Provider’s depot in Selly Oak (expectation one day a week on site).. There will be opportunities to also visit our other bike, e-bike and e-scooter schemes across the country. The role is initially a fixed term position, up until October 25, but may be made permanent if Beryl continues to operate in the West Midlands post the initial contract.
This is a key role within the Operations Team and its purpose is to manage both the customer contract and customer relationship (Transport for West Midlands, Birmingham City Council) and our contracted operational partners.
The role will also lead on the mobilisation and expansions of the contract.
You will achieve the above by ensuring that all projects adhere to the best practices and standard approaches for project management.
- Experienced Contract or Project Manager looking for their next challenge
- Good stakeholder management skills and comfortable chairing regular meetings with local government stakeholders
- Knowledge of, or experience in, the bike share/e-scooter/micromobility industry is preferable but not essential
- Exemplary communication skills with excellent written/oral communication skills for reports and presentations
- Experience with project management and project management tools
- Personable, proactive, professional and able to demonstrate full commitment to customer care and service in all activities and interact at all levels of the organisation
- Possess the expert knowledge to identify opportunities for change and the ability to convey the need for change
While the ideal candidate should fulfil most of the list below, we know that ideal candidates rarely exist, so will consider all applications from people keen on learning to fill in any gaps.
- Lead the mobilisation and operational stabilisation activity of the West Midlands e-scooter scheme
- Own the contractual delivery and key stakeholder relationships with Transport for West Midlands and Birmingham City Council
- Manage the local operational sub-contractor
- Onboard and support our local delivery partners
- Support building a wider local Beryl team as the Beryl footprint expands
- Support the development, and document the mobilisation strategy for future schemes.
- Re-inforce best practice
- Responsible for the setup of facilities, vehicles, and support services within the scheme
- Support building a culture within the local team (Beryl staff and partners) that encourages staff members to deliver the best that they can at all times.
- Act as brand ambassador for team and external stakeholders
- Manage local stakeholder relationships for identified schemes; including the council, local businesses, and potential clients.
- Be an expert in the Beryl systems and processes
Experience & skills
While the ideal candidate should fulfil most of the list below, we know that ideal candidates rarely exist, so we will consider all applications from people keen on learning to fill in any gaps.
- Highly efficient in resource planning and tasks assignment
- Able to read and understand contracts with local government
- Strong skills in creating and maintaining project and programme plans
- Ability to be flexible and pragmatic
- Be proactive
- Have an excellent eye for detail
- Be confident with using initiative as well as managing time.
- Have excellent communication skills
- Experience in stakeholder management
- Experience in project delivery
- Experience managing a team
- Strong collaborative approach
- Ability to flex as priorities change
- Good self-awareness and ability to work at different levels
What we are offering in return
- The opportunity to build business and help Beryl on our journey to become one of the biggest micromobility providers in the world.
- A combination of the highest quality team and product - we are winning work because of our ability to demonstrate that we are market leading in both respects.
- Enough autonomy and resources to make your vision a reality.
- A flexible working environment
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Enhanced Parental Leave
- 24 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Beryl Bikes membership
- Online perks and discounts including free yoga every Wednesday and access to Headspace
- Family and friends product discounts
At Beryl, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All candidates will be fairly reviewed for the role without regard to race, religion, sexuality, age, disability, gender identity, nationality, or any other protected status. We particularly welcome people from a BAME background or those who are disabled as they are currently under-represented in our workforce. If you wish to discuss reasonable adjustments for this role please indicate this within your application and we will be in touch with you.
While upholding the Equalities Act we are committed to continuing to improve our workplace culture and environment. We strive to support all staff and maintain an inclusive workplace, we champion and support mental health and wellbeing activities.
We value employees from diverse backgrounds and family arrangements, and have flexible working policies that support our staff in balancing their personal and work lives.
The following steps will be taken to ensure the application and recruitment process for our Solent Mobilisation Lead is as fair as possible, you should expect the following:
We review all applications in the first 2 stages (Application/Shortlist) anonymously using redacting software.
We cross reference all applications against a pre-set, job specific requirement matrix.
Successful candidates will be subject to a 2 stage interview process (phone screening and virtual interview). A standardised question and scoring system will be used during the interview process.
Unsuccessful candidates will be provided with feedback on closure of the application process.
Successful candidates will be subject to reference or job-specific background checks after an offer of employment is made.