So Energy was created in 2015 because we knew energy suppliers could be better. Since then, we’re grown rapidly but sustainably, with 300,000+ customers and over 300 So Energists. But, we’re not done. We’re on the road to a million customers by the end of 2026 and, thanks to our recent merger with ESB Energy, we’re well on the way. We’re tech first, we’re customer-centric and we’re passionate about sustainability.
We want to do the best we can by our customers and by each other, so we’ve created a workplace that is encouraging, supportive and offers the opportunity for growth. As a company, we live by six core values that guide everything we do.
We are currently hiring for a Data Analyst who will be responsible for supporting our Finance business area with FP&A data requirements. Within this role, you will be identifying reporting and data opportunities, analysing trends, and presenting back insights with potential solutions. Our data sits both on-prem within a SQL server environment as well as in our Google Cloud data lake. You will be leveraging your SQL skills as well as a keen attention to detail to analyse data. Your primary stakeholders will be within Finance and will require you to engage on an ongoing basis to build new solutions and enhance existing reporting.
Responsibilities of role
- You will work closely with our Finance team to understand their requirements, define additional needs and document accordingly
- Gather and document requirements in a way that allows us to design well-suited reports
- Translate requirements to technical solutions
- Analyse data to identify trends and patterns
- Interrogate and curate the quality, consistency and completeness of data to ensure that the quality of insights are complete and relevant
- Script data transformation and business rules in SQL and/or Python
- Research new data sources which will add value into the reporting that you will be delivering
- Define metrics that are suited to business monitoring
- Provide technical support to other teams within the organisation as required
- Support the business in ad-hoc data analysis and data supply covering auditing, marketing campaigns and customer segmentation
- Perform data reconciliation tasks to ensure that new reporting outputs are aligned or of better accuracy than existing reports
- Even though Looker (our BI platform) experience is not mandatory, at times you will also be required to setup and automate reports on Looker
- Write quality technical documentation of SQL coding
- Contribute as part of an agile team with sprint planning sessions and daily stand-ups
- Communicate status, blockers, and progress clearly
- As a Data Analyst you will need to be a detailed orientated individual who has a passion for analysing data
- This will require you to learn and fully understand our data landscape both from a source system and reporting perspective
- A key attention to detail will be required in the reviewing and validating of data prior to it being shared with the business
- You should have experience in end user engagement on requirements elicitation and the ability to identify stakeholder problems that can be solved through data
- Proven and extensive experience in SQL is a must-have for this role as often you will be required to extract and analyse data without a detailed brief
- You should be comfortable with communicating insights to senior management and across the organisation
- You should be a team player who creates positive working relationships amongst your peers with the vision of getting to the best quality outputs
- You will need to show ownership to drive initiatives forward even when your stakeholders are unavailable
- Having a previous financial background, or working on financial analytics/data
- Competitive salary
- Life Assurance 4x base salary
- Bonus up to 10% base salary
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays, and an extra day holiday for your birthday
- Hybrid Remote Working
- Ongoing support and development as well as a generous learning and development budget
- Free daily breakfast
- Great reward and recognition
- Exposure to all parts of a growing business
- Pension matching as part of auto-enrolment pension scheme
So Energy cares about helping the energy industry become a much more diverse and inclusive environment and we work hard to lead by example. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and building an inclusive environment for all. As an equal opportunity employer, there are also several steps we take to accommodate candidates and employees with disabilities including additional time on tests during the interview process and specialist equipment for those employees that require it.
If you are interested in finding out more, please apply and make sure to complete all the questions to the best of your ability.