About Low Carbon
Low Carbon creates renewable energy to fight climate change. We’re building a net-zero energy company that will power tomorrow and protect the planet for future generations.
Low Carbon was established in 2011 with one goal in mind: to make the biggest contribution possible in the fight against climate change. The aim is to play a key role in the historic effort to move the world to 100% renewable energy.
We are a long-standing certified B-Corporation, and recognized as gold standard for environmental impact. Low Carbon’s climate ambitions are to become one of the world’s first major net-zero energy companies and to have created 20GW of new renewable energy capacity by 2030.
Low Carbon has formed a strategic partnership with the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) to build a leading global renewable energy Independent Power Producer. Low Carbon is committed to the development, investment and operation of renewable energy at scale. Low Carbon invests into both renewable energy developers and projects across a range of renewable energy technologies including solar PV, wind, energy storage, waste-to-energy and energy efficiency.
With a significant international renewable energy pipeline in development, Low Carbon is well-positioned to capitalise on opportunities as the need for renewable energy and energy security increases.
We are extremely proud of the highly professional and talented team at Low Carbon. We have built a positive learning culture that incorporates respect, trust, collaboration, and a shared passion to combat climate change. It is an open, friendly and supportive environment, and we are proud to say we work here. As we grow, we are committed to increasing diversity in the team, and continuing to foster an inclusive environment where we can learn from each other.
Low Carbon is on a mission. Together, we will power tomorrow.
Our UK Development team consists of around 30 energy experts, working closely together to develop a portfolio of subsidy-free solar, onshore wind and battery storage projects throughout the UK. We are looking for ambitious independent people who are driven, collaborative, creative and fun to work with. This is a great opportunity to make a significant difference in the take up of renewable energy in the UK.
We are looking for someone to join our Origination team with specific focus on securing new grid connection agreements and managing existing connection agreements. You will work with the Head of Grid Origination and the rest of the Grid Origination team to identify and securing development opportunities and to ensure that existing sites can be progressed into the delivery phase. You will not be responsible for taking projects through construction as this is handled by a separate team.
Using your knowledge of distribution networks you will plan new grid connections, manage the day-to-day relationships with networks connection teams as projects progress, deliver technical review of grid offers and continue to support projects with grid knowledge as they move towards completion. You will be passionate about applying your skills to the development and build out of a portfolio of new utility-scale renewable energy projects throughout the UK.
- Analyse and deliver new grid connection opportunities, including attending connections surgeries and submitting connection applications to the relevant distribution network operator
- Support the origination team to identify possible challenges and opportunities for new grid connection offers
- Identify and mitigate issues with existing grid offers and support the relationship between the business and network operator representatives
- Manage ongoing projects pre-delivery, escalating issues and coordinating input from across the wider UK Development team when required
- Support the expansion and update of our internal GIS and data management systems to improve delivery of the technical analysis of grid connection applications – the team will have an analyst to support with administrative tasks
- Produce high-quality assessments for the grid elements of new projects
- Learn from and support the wider UK Development team (land, consenting and delivery) as projects progress towards completion to maintain high levels of success
- Maintain a continued focus on process improvements – the way that it was done yesterday is not necessarily the best way to do it tomorrow
- Inputting into the wider development strategy for each project and providing project information to both internal and external stakeholders
- You will be passionate about the UK energy industry, and excited by potential to contribute towards delivering a large pipeline of new renewable energy projects
- You will need to be a confident and professional self-starter capable of building trusting and positive relationships with your team members
- You’ll be adept at understanding new topics quickly
- You’ll be highly organised and be comfortable working with multiple projects and priorities
- You’ll be adept at using technology to increase efficiency with a passion for risk analysis and mitigation
- You’ll have great verbal communications skills and have the ability to convey key points to audiences at all levels
- You will have strong written communications and presentation skills
- You won’t sit back and wait for things to happen, you’ll be comfortable taking on responsibility and making decisions
Skills & Experience
- Have strong knowledge of UK distribution and/or transmission networks, ideally with experience in a planning, design or Project/Account management role within the industry
- Have significant experience in the connection application process and knowledge of relevant industry policies and legislation
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office applications with a good degree of IT literacy that could be applied to our existing project management and GIS systems
- Hold a passion for using technology to better processes and strive for improvement
- Possess strong analytical skills and the ability to translate and present data within evidence-based justifications
- Full driver’s license
- Proven ability to work and communicate with remote colleagues
- 26 days holiday plus your birthday off
- Discretionary Bonus
- Annual Bupa Health Check
- Private Healthcare for you and your family (medical history disregarded)
- Contributory Pension
- EV Car scheme / Cycle scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Sodexo for commercial discounts and perks