Close to Bristol Bridge, Finzels Reach and Bristol Temple Meads train station, Origin's newest café is perfectly located to serve a vibrant community. Due to opening in early September 2023, we are looking for a team of full- and part-time baristas who pride themselves on delivering outstanding coffee and service quality.
People come first; this role is as much about face-to-face communication and relationships as it is about barista skills. Passion comes from your love and expertise in serving people exceptionally good coffee. Depending on the day of the week or time of day, you will be working with your talented colleagues or holding the fort. Being behind the bar is your forte, and a sense of pride in yourself, your workplace and Origin makes anyone’s interaction with you an experience and part of our ambition to build customer loyalty.
We have a rigorous career pathway and so you will be expected to demonstrate your skill level, we will work with you and take you on your career journey, developing and investing you. We love continuous improvement and anyone who works for us we discuss what this looks like for you.
- deliver an informed, passionate, and enthusiastic approach to communicating speciality coffee to all customers
- make recommendations based on customer preferences
- prioritise and deliver exceptional customer service
- understand the day-to-day operation and upkeep of all coffee machinery, including the ability to dial in; you will be working with La Marzocco espresso machines
- contribute towards the recipe creation for single origin coffees; espresso, pour over and batch filter
- develop and maintain excellent latte art skills
- demonstrate outstanding filter knowledge and a range of brew techniques supported by an eye for detail, we want to see meticulous quality control
- have a high level of cleanliness throughout service in all areas of the café, including the cleaning down of machines, working areas and public spaces
- responsible for stock supply including the communication of re-ordering supplies
- opening and closing duties for the café
- represent the brand as an origin ambassador; we’re industry leaders and you’re responsible for showing our customers what that looks like
To be successful in this role, these are the things that matter the most:
- a daily can-do attitude whilst remaining calm and collected
- a love for communication and building relationships – you are customer facing and an Origin ambassador and every interaction counts
- careful and diligent – even meticulous – with a good dose of common sense
- modestly confident and personable, good humoured and trustworthy
- happy working independently as well as working as part of the wider retail team
- informal but 100% professional
Skills and experience:
- demonstrable experience of working in the specialty coffee industry
- demonstrable experience of delivering outstanding customer service
- a strong verbal communication style
- demonstrable experience of working independently and as part of a team led by core values and business objectives
Essential behavioural competencies:
- extensive specialty coffee knowledge including all brewing techniques
- an acute eye with meticulous attention to detail with an ability to identify anomalies and mistakes
- the ability to inspire and lead a team
- an ability to recognise the opportunity to upsell, increase revenue and improve customer service
- exceptional customer facing skills
- highly organised and efficient whilst working under pressure
Salary and Benefits
Up to £12.00 per hour
Nature of contract and working pattern
Permanent full and part-time. Origin Coffee supports flexible working options for the right candidate who can meet both the role and the needs of the business.
34 days holiday, including bank holidays and your birthday off (pro-rata for part-time).
Employer (5%) and Employee (3%) pension contribution – employees can increase their contribution.
Mental Health and Physical First Aid Training
We provide our employees with a toolkit for preventing and addressing mental health crises in and out of work, providing genuine support, safety, and happiness in the workplace.
Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, IVF Journey Leave and Pay
We recognise the importance of family and provide enhanced pay to support all parents and their journey to becoming one
Transitioning at Work Policy
We want everyone at Origin Coffee to feel comfortable being themselves at work. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and supporting our colleagues who identify as trans, and providing support through any transitioning process.
Financial Wellbeing Support
We have partnered with Wagestream, a financial well-being provider that offers financial coaching, money management, debt advice, and individually tailored advice.
Employee Assistant Programme
A comprehensive suite of support from our EAP Hospitality Action, including help with physical, mental, and financial wellness at work
Continued Professional Development
We invest in all our employees by supporting personal development and encouraging you to broaden your experience and learning potential, led by you.
Everyone who works for Origin can embark on the SCA training programme. Depending on your learning readiness, you can dip your toe in or immerse yourself fully. It's pretty addictive!
An Employee Referral Scheme
Once you join Origin, you'll want to introduce like-minded people to us. When you do, they settle in and pass their probation, and you earn £200
Two days per year off for volunteering, cycle to work scheme, free coffee at work and to take home, discounts in all our cafes and on our merchandise and partners. And, of course, regular social and team events serve exceptional food, drink, and fantastic coffee!