We’ve come a long way since 2004—and we’re just getting started.
As one of the longest-standing independent coffee roasters on UK shores, the love of coffee fuels everything we do. We work on challenging the expected, crafting tangible experiences and products that are impactful and progressive. We work hard and with integrity to shape and share exceptional coffee fairly with all. As a B Corp-accredited coffee roaster, we’re not here to jump on bandwagons. No greenwashing. No jargon: an inclusive, global community, listening and speaking up for the future we believe in.
We build, nurture, and champion relationships at the source, celebrating farmers, cooperatives, and producers. We support direct trade, traceability, and quality. From crop to cup, every step of our journey is considered; we’re proud to be held accountable, always striving for better ways to do business, placing people and the planet before profit.
Dedicated, curious, driven, and open-minded, we’re not afraid to push boundaries and shape positive change. With a growing team of award-winning coffee professionals, a world-class coffee programme, six coffee shops, and an ever-evolving product range, we continue to work hard to create inclusive spaces within Origin and everywhere we go where conversations can grow. We move fast yet stay grounded, cutting paths through the noise, and have a lot of fun along the way. We’re here for ideas, rolling our sleeves up, and sharing new perspectives. Opportunities are on the table—yours to shape, with full support.
Join us in pursuit of coffee excellence.
We are looking for a passionate operational leader for Origin’s newest café in the heart of Bristol. If you see the city centre as your work home and are ready to lead the way in speciality coffee for Origin and Bristol, read on....
As general manager, you will have a strong background in speciality coffee and proven operational experience in hospitality. You will lead in amplifying the benchmark for coffee aficionados in Bristol by managing the go-to destination, raising Origin's presence, and maintaining the brand's philosophy.
Our General Manager will manage a team of self-recruited baristas, ensuring impeccable customer service and making operational adjustments for profitability and brand success. Collaboration with the business owner, directors, and function leads is necessary for creative direction, strategy, and ambition.
Your main areas of focus are:
- Brand and marketing retail displays
- Health and Safety
The role responsibilities
Responsible for the smooth day-to-day running of the operation including:
Brand and marketing
- Responsible for maintaining the retail displays and store designs so the customer has the best experience of the Origin brand.
- Ensure all retail displays and store designs are maintained and aligned with Origin’s brand guidelines.
- Lead and support all events and functions in liaison with Origin’s Events Manager.
- Establish and maintain effective communication channels with key Origin departments and ensure operational efficiencies.
- Cascade all necessary information to key members of your team so they feel suitable.
- Lead the Origin site to meet and/or exceed financial obligations and profitability through overseeing and actively participating in sales, labour productivity, cost control, and effective purchasing.
- Manage and analyse financial KPI’s including wages to sales, P&L average transaction values and oversee cogs and cash flow.
- Build on existing customer loyalty and streamline revenue.
Health and Safety
- Maintain a safe, secure, and legal work environment, including health & safety, risk management and assessment, including food safety compliance (TRAIL).
- Health and safety compliance, including food hygiene.
- Team training including HACCP, First Aid, and SCA Coffee Diploma (delivered by Origin).
- Implementing, monitoring, adhering to, updating, and enforcing compliance with all Origin Coffee and company policies to ensure a consistent and compliant operation.
- Implementing and updating Origin's Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) based on the needs and limitations of the business, proposing new strategies as necessary.
- Managing supplier relationships, both existing and new, to ensure the best value in terms of price, delivery, and business terms. This includes working with suppliers to achieve desired Gross Profit percentage (GP%) and cost of sales Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Monitoring and controlling stock inventory to reduce wastage and contribute to GP% and cost of sales KPIs.
- Managing customer service and front-of-house operations to maintain continuity of service and uphold impeccable standards.
- Collaborating with your team of baristas to select a range of coffees, including mainstays, single origins, and featured varieties, to ensure the café consistently brews exceptional coffee that matches the best offerings in the UK and Europe.
- Demonstrating expertise in brewing exceptional coffee, including espresso, pour-over, and latte art techniques.
- Displaying meticulous attention to detail and a dedication to consistency in a demanding, high-standard environment.
- Organizing and maintaining deep clean rotations ensures a clean and hygienic café environment.
These responsibilities are essential for maintaining a successful café operation that delivers high-quality coffee and exceptional customer experiences.
- Overseeing and approving staffing levels and scheduling, ensuring they align with budgetary guidelines and operational needs. This includes managing employee shifts and ensuring adequate coverage during peak hours.
- Developing staff members by providing mentoring and empowerment opportunities. Identify their growth potential and set objectives to help them achieve their next-level position within the company.
- Taking full responsibility for the employee cycle, including onboarding new hires, conducting performance management assessments, providing training and development opportunities, and managing off-boarding processes when necessary.
- Demonstrating positive leadership characteristics by being attentive and genuine with all staff members. Lead by example and foster a positive work culture that promotes teamwork, respect, and professionalism.
- Acting as an ambassador for Origin Coffee, showcasing the company as an industry leader in specialty coffee. Demonstrate what exceptional looks like by upholding the highest standards in coffee quality, customer service, and operational excellence. Lead Origin as one of Europe's finest specialty coffee roasters.
By effectively managing staffing, developing employees, and embodying the values and standards of Origin Coffee, you will contribute to the success of the café and strengthen its position in Bristol city centre and as a leader in the industry.
KPI’s (based on management accounts and budget forecast)
- GP% / cost of sales
- Wages to sales %
To be successful in this role, these are the things that matter the most:
- Proven experience working in a reputable specialty coffee and hospitality establishment. This demonstrates your knowledge of the industry and familiarity with the standards of excellence.
- Possess an energy and natural talent for creating connections and building relationships within the coffee industry. This includes networking with suppliers, and industry professionals and fostering a sense of community.
- Ability to inspire and lead by example, serving as a hands-on leader who can energize and motivate a team of coffee enthusiasts. Your leadership should encourage teamwork and create a positive and productive work environment.
- Experience demonstrating effective teamwork, collaborating with colleagues to achieve common goals and deliver exceptional results.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment. You are comfortable working under managed pressure and can maintain composure and efficiency during busy periods.
- Display confidence in abundance, backed by a focus on detail and a commitment to maintaining high standards. Your meticulous attention to detail ensures that all aspects of the café operations are executed flawlessly.
- Enthusiasm for developing and nurturing a team, supporting their career progression, and providing training and development opportunities. You are invested in the growth and success of your team members.
- Natural ability to prioritize customer satisfaction without compromising on quality. Every customer should feel valued and receive exceptional service.
- Passionate about specialty coffee, exceptional food, and beverages, and delivering first-class service. Your dedication to quality and passion for the industry should shine through in all aspects of your work.
- Strong command of the English language, both written and verbal, to effectively communicate with staff, customers, and stakeholders.
- Display a natural flair for leading conversations and possess solid interpersonal skills. You can coordinate and influence various cross-department stakeholders, building trust and ensuring that Origin Coffee consistently delivers on its promises.
Skills and experience
- Education to degree level in the hospitality or business sector or equivalent experience level.
- Proven experience within the coffee industry, including prior work in the hospitality sector with a reputable business.
- Previous general management experience within the specialty coffee industry. This includes overseeing day-to-day operations, managing staff, and ensuring the smooth running of the café.
- Demonstrable experience and financial understanding of delivering against key performance indicators (KPIs) and targets, such as profit and loss (P&L), wages to sales ratio, and average transaction value.
- Demonstrable experience in being self-led and having a natural ability to manage and prioritize your own workload.
- Comfortable with in-person communication, networking, training, and presenting to individuals and audiences. This ability to effectively engage with others is crucial for building relationships, training staff, and representing Origin Coffee.
- Demonstrable experience working independently and as part of a team, guided by core values and striving towards business objectives. This demonstrates your ability to collaborate and align with the company's mission and values.
- Experience working for a B-Corp accredited organization or similar working space that focuses on addressing the current climate crisis.
- Good working knowledge of all Microsoft Office 365 packages and digital systems. This includes proficiency in using digital tools for communication, data analysis, and other operational needs.
Essential qualities to have
- Commanding high standards and at ease with demanding people
- An inspiring, enthusiastic, and energised leader.
- Being a strong communicator with conversation and managing people is your strength.
- Friendly, modestly confident, personable, good-humoured and trustworthy.
- Attention to detail and diligence – even meticulous – with a good dose of common sense.
- Efficient, effective, and organised, especially in the physical and digital world.
- Informal but 100% professional.
- Self-motivated with an aptitude to drive your own activity to deliver results.
- Confidence in your own ability to adapt and navigate your way through an industry in an evolving landscape.
Up to £30,000 FTE per annum
34 days holiday, including bank holidays and your birthday off (pro-rata for part-time)
Employer (5%) and Employee (3%) pension contribution – employees can increase their contribution.
Mental Health and Physical First Aid Training
We provide our employees with a toolkit for preventing and addressing mental health crises in and out of work, providing genuine support, safety, and happiness in the workplace.
Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, IVF Journey Leave and Pay
We recognise the importance of family and provide enhanced pay to support all parents and their journey to becoming one.
Transitioning at Work Policy
We want everyone at Origin Coffee to feel comfortable being themselves at work. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and supporting our colleagues who identify as trans, and providing support through any transitioning process.
Financial Well-being Support
We have partnered with Wagestream, a financial well-being provider that offers financial coaching, money management, debt advice, and individually tailored advice.
Employee Assistant Programme
A comprehensive suite of support from our EAP Hospitality Action, including help with physical, mental, and financial wellness at work.
Menopause and Period Policy
We recognise the impact this can have in the workplace and provide a flexible and supportive way for employees affected including making adjustments at work and working time.
Continued Professional Development
We invest in all our employees by supporting personal development and encouraging you to broaden your experience and learning potential, led by you.
Everyone who works for Origin can embark on the SCA training programme. Depending on your learning readiness, you can dip your toe in or immerse yourself fully. It’s pretty addictive!
An Employee Referral Scheme
Once you join Origin, you’ll want to introduce like-minded people to us. When you do, they settle in and pass their probation, and you earn £200
Two days per year off for volunteering, cycle to work scheme, free coffee at work and to take home, discounts in all our cafes and on our merchandise and partners. And, of course, regular social and team events serve exceptional food, drink, and fantastic coffee!
Initial phone screening call (30 mins) Capabilities and culture-t interview onsite or remote depending on location and availability (1-1.5 hours)
If you have a medical condition or an individual need for an adjustment to our process, and you believe this may affect your ability to be at your best, please let us know so we can talk about how we can best support you and make any adjustments that may be needed.