About UN University (UNU)
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge, furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. UNU’s mission is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, United Nations University (UNU) has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
About Institute (UNU-IIGH)
UNU International Institute for Global Health (UNU-IIGH), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia is the designated UN think tank on global health, serving as a policy translation hub for UN member states, agencies and programmes. It was established by a statute adopted by the Council of the United Nations University in December 2005.
The Institute generates policy-relevant analysis by applying a gender lens to inform the development, implementation and evaluation of health programmes. UNU-IIGH also supports the capacity development of local decision-makers and stakeholders to engage effectively with global health challenges within the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The United Nations University International Institute for Global Health (UNU IIGH) is seeking an experienced individual consultant or a consultancy firm to collaborate on the design of a Massive Online Open Course (MOOC) focused on Ethics and Equity in Global Health. The aim of the course is to train and engage health policy managers, government officers, UN agencies, and individuals involved in global health program implementation. The MOOC will consist of approximately five lectures, each lasting 60-90 minutes.
Roles and responsibilities
The consultant will work closely with UNU IIGH and subject experts to develop the MOOC sessions, with a primary focus on curriculum design and content creation. Additionally, the consultant will contribute to identifying experts and implementers to be featured in the course. While video production will be outsourced, the consultant will curate interviews and record lectures to:
- Develop the MOOC curriculum, including a concept note and course syllabus;
- Create lecture scripts, slides, interview questions, references, and evaluation/quizzes;
- Assist in identifying and engaging subject matter experts and implementers to be featured in the MOOC;
- Curate interviews, including preparing interview guides, conducting analysis, and selecting relevant clips;
- Provide ongoing support and guidance throughout the course development process;
- Delivering the lectures to be recorded.
Expected Deliverables and Timeline
- Concept note and course syllabus with clear objectives, learning outcomes, learning strategies, and a summary of MOOC sessions
- Lecture scripts, slides, interview questions, references, evaluation/quizzes for all sessions
- Curated interviews, including interview guides, interview analysis, and relevant clips
- Recording of lectures
Content creation and curation: July to September 2023
Production: October to December 2023
- Inclusion — take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity
- Integrity — act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards
- Humility — demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others
- Humanity — act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet
- Connect and collaborate — build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
- Analyse and plan — seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
- Deliver results with positive impact — hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
- Learn and develop — pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
- Adapt and innovate — demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
- Demonstrated experience in curriculum design and content creation in the field of human rights, ethics and equity in global health;
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail to ensure the successful delivery of the MOOC;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively collaborate with experts and implementers;
- Proficiency in curating interviews and recording lectures to maintain the course's high standards;
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and adapt to changing project requirements;
- Familiarity with online learning platforms and previous experience in MOOCs development is highly desirable; and
- Full professional working proficiency/native or bilingual proficiency in English
Remuneration and Duration of Contract
Remuneration will be based on standard UN rates and the applicant's level of experience and expertise. However, UNU-IIGH is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of the successful applicant. The duration of the contract is from July 2023 to December 2023 (or total 6 months)
Interested individuals or consultancy firms are invited to submit the following documents:
- Updated curriculum vitae (CV) or company profile highlighting relevant experience and qualifications.
- A cover letter expressing interest in the position and outlining how your skills align with the responsibilities and deliverables.
- Samples or a portfolio showcasing previous work; related to curriculum design and MOOC development.
Shortlisted candidates or firms will be contacted for an interview.
Note: This is a remote/online consultancy opportunity.
How to Apply:
To apply to UNU, you will not need an account. Instead, we ask that you:
- Apply via the apply link;
- fill out the UNU P11 form (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations);
- provide a motivation statement (in the P11 form); and
- answer a few questions that are tailored to the position.
You may wish to refer to the UN Values and Behaviours Framework for more information.
Application Deadline: 12 July 2023
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise in which a presentation, a competency-based interview, background checks and references may follow.
Consultants do not hold international civil servant status, nor are they considered a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply. Applications from developing countries and from women are strongly encouraged. UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United
Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Information about UNU rosters
UNU reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNU at the same grade level and with similar job descriptions, experience and educational requirements.
UNU does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.