A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million+ projects started on Thumbtack
- About 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- About 10 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
Thumbtack has multiple Engineering Manager positions available in San Francisco, CA, and various unanticipated work locations throughout the USA.
- Lead and manage the team as a hands-on technical leader to help execute and plan ahead for infrastructure including backend systems, machine learning models, frontend infrastructure for fantastic page speed, or experimental infrastructure to enable rapid testing and prototyping of onboarding flows within our native applications.
- Build and grow a high-performing team of software engineers with a strong culture of balancing excellence in a high paced growth environment.
- Oversee and manage a team of engineering leads and work closely with cross functional leads (including product, marketing, analytics and design) to craft a compelling vision and long-term strategy for growth.
- Help the team make key technical decisions, unblock the team, and guide the team on execution.
- Deeply understand technical infrastructure and review code and configuration changes.
- Work closely with engineers to architect critical production systems and design a roadmap for our product in collaboration with other engineering and product leaders.
- Collaborate closely with other product engineering leads to ensure our product meets company goals.
- Telecommuting permitted.
What you'll need
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- Five (5) years of post-baccalaureate, progressive work experience in the job offered or in a software engineering-related occupation.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience required in each of the following skills:
- Programming languages including Hack or PHP, C++
- SQL and MySQL
- Web application development experience including client and server applications, RESTful API, and databases
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery tools including GIT
- Object oriented design concepts
- Data structures and algorithms
The expected salary range for the role is currently $248,768 - $322,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.