About Low Carbon
Low Carbon creates renewable energy to fight climate change. We’re building a net-zero energy company that will power tomorrow and protect the planet for future generations.
Low Carbon was established in 2011 with one goal in mind: to make the biggest contribution possible in the fight against climate change. The aim is to play a key role in the historic effort to move the world to 100% renewable energy.
We are a long-standing certified B-Corporation, and recognised as gold standard for environmental impact. Low Carbon’s climate ambitions are to become one of the world’s first major net-zero energy companies and to have created 20GW of new renewable energy capacity by 2030.
Low Carbon has formed a strategic partnership with the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) to build a leading global renewable energy Independent Power Producer. Low Carbon is committed to the development, investment and operation of renewable energy at scale. Low Carbon invests into both renewable energy developers and projects across a range of renewable energy technologies including solar PV, wind, energy storage, waste-to-energy and energy efficiency.
With a significant international renewable energy pipeline in development, Low Carbon is well-positioned to capitalise on opportunities as the need for renewable energy and energy security increases.
We are extremely proud of the highly professional and talented team at Low Carbon. We have built a positive learning culture that incorporates respect, trust, collaboration, and a shared passion to combat climate change. It is an open, friendly and supportive environment, and we are proud to say we work here. As we grow, we are committed to increasing diversity in the team, and continuing to foster an inclusive environment where we can learn from each other.
Low Carbon is on a mission. Together, we will power tomorrow.
We are looking for someone to join our Origination team in progressing development opportunities with specific focus on managing grid connection design and project progression. Working with the Head of Grid Origination and the existing analyst in the team, you will support all aspects of the identification and securing of development opportunities.
Using your knowledge of distribution networks you will plan new project grid connections, manage the day-to-day relationships with networks connection teams as projects progress, deliver technical review of grid offers and continue to support projects with grid knowledge as they move towards completion. You will be passionate about applying your skills to the development and build out of a portfolio of new utility scale renewable energy projects throughout the UK.
- Lead on the collation and interpretation of network technical data, including review of reinforcement programmes, network development statements and engineering papers to identify new project opportunities
- Identify and mitigate issues with grid offers and support the relationship between the business and network operator representatives to maintain an industry leading portfolio of projects
- Manage ongoing projects pre-delivery, escalating issues and coordinating input from across the development team when required
- Support the origination team in the identification of possible challenges and opportunities within grid connection scenarios to expand the businesses project portfolio
- Produce high quality reports and assessments for the grid elements of new projects including your insights into a projects potential risks and opportunities
- Learn from and support the wider origination teams (land, planning and delivery) as projects progress towards completion to maintain high levels of success
- Maintain a continued focus on process improvements – the way that it was done yesterday is not necessarily the best way to do it tomorrow
- Inputting into the wider development strategy for each project and providing project information to both internal and external stakeholders
- A friendly, approachable and professional manner
- An excellent communicator who builds trusted relationships with people at all levels
- Energetic, reliable, adaptable and used to using their initiative
- Highly organised, great attention to detail and a focus on getting things done
- Have a ‘hands on’ approach, visible across the business with good communication and other interpersonal skills
- Be an enthusiastic and committed team player who will work well with the Team’s key customers and stakeholders
Skills & Experience
- Strong knowledge of the distribution and/or transmission networks, ideally with experience in a network, system planning or connection design role with focus on the design of 33kV & 132kV networks and the engineering policies and regulations which govern them
- Good knowledge of the connection application process and knowledge of the industry policies and legislation which govern how this process works
- Experienced in up to date connection methods, including an awareness of ANM, DERMS and the technical and commercial impacts of these style of connections
- Experience developing or running quantitative curtailment analysis would be advantageous but is not required
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications with a good degree of IT literacy
- Hold a passion for using technology to better processes and strive for improvement
- Possess strong analytical skills and the ability to translate and present data within evidence-based justifications and reports
- Full driver’s license
- Proven ability to work and communicate with remote colleagues
Our Compensation & Benefits
- 26 days holiday plus your birthday off (with option to buy a further 5 days)
- Discretionary Bonus
- Annual Bupa Health Check
- Private Healthcare for you and your family (medical history disregarded)
- Contributory Pension
- EV Car scheme
- Cycle scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Sodexo for commercial discounts and perks
- 3 additional days for volunteering to support causes of your choice
- £50 credit per month towards short notice childcare, eldercare and pet care via ‘Bubble’