About Low Carbon
Low Carbon creates renewable energy to fight climate change. We’re building a net-zero energy company that will power tomorrow and protect the planet for future generations.
Low Carbon was established in 2011 with one goal in mind: to make the biggest contribution possible in the fight against climate change. The aim is to play a key role in the historic effort to move the world to 100% renewable energy.
We are a long-standing certified B-Corporation, and recognised as gold standard for environmental impact. Low Carbon’s climate ambitions are to become one of the world’s first major net-zero energy companies and to have created 20GW of new renewable energy capacity by 2030.
Low Carbon has formed a strategic partnership with the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) to build a leading global renewable energy Independent Power Producer. Low Carbon is committed to the development, investment and operation of renewable energy at scale. Low Carbon invests into both renewable energy developers and projects across a range of renewable energy technologies including solar PV, wind, energy storage, waste-to-energy and energy efficiency.
With a significant international renewable energy pipeline in development, Low Carbon is well-positioned to capitalise on opportunities as the need for renewable energy and energy security increases.
We are extremely proud of the highly professional and talented team at Low Carbon. We have built a positive learning culture that incorporates respect, trust, collaboration, and a shared passion to combat climate change. It is an open, friendly and supportive environment, and we are proud to say we work here. As we grow, we are committed to increasing diversity in the team, and continuing to foster an inclusive environment where we can learn from each other.
Low Carbon is on a mission. Together, we will power tomorrow.
We are looking for an experienced Solar individual to join our UK Operations and Maintenance team as a site technician.
The role is of a hybrid nature with the primary responsibility of onboarding newly constructed assets into the O&M portfolio and a secondary responsibility of supporting the wider O&M team with reactive and preventative maintenance activities.
The UK O&M team was established in 2019 with the intention of providing best in class service to Low Carbon owned assets. In order to do this, it is crucial to have the right individuals within our team. We believe in providing the right environment, training and support to allow our team members to work to the best of their abilities, making the most appropriate decisions and taking the correct actions based on relevant scenarios and operating conditions. We always have the sites best interests at the core of all we do.
The ideal candidate will be based from home and preferably located within either the Northamptonshire or Bedfordshire regions or adjacent to. Working from either of our offices in London, Gloucester or Exeter will be required at times.
- Onboarding newly constructed assets into the O&M portfolio
- Construction site visits
- Working closely with our EPC’s and other members of our Operations team to coordinate and organise site handovers
- Carry out due diligence paperwork and documentation reviews and inspection
- Compliance with legislation, policies, and H&S
Operations and Maintenance
- Support with preventative maintenance activities to operational sites
- Support with reactive maintenance activities to operational sites
- Plant monitoring and analysis (support to monitoring team)
- Assist with system upgrade works
- Undertake appropriate training
- Supervision and management of contractors as necessary
- A friendly, approachable and professional manner
- An excellent communicator who builds trusted relationships with people at all levels
- Energetic, reliable, adaptable and used to using their initiative
- Highly organised, great attention to detail and a focus on getting things done
- Have a ‘hands on’ approach, visible across the business with good communication and other interpersonal skills
- Be an enthusiastic and committed team player who will work well with the Team’s key customers and stakeholders
Skills & Experience
Prospective candidates should be educated to degree level in an engineering field or hold Electrical installation certificate to level 3 City & Guilds or NVQ equivalent or an equivalent electronics qualification. BS7671 wiring regulations to 18th Edition and a sound working knowledge of them.
City & Guilds inspection and test certificate to level 3 (desirable) and be able to provide evidence of being / having:
- An experienced professional in the electricity industry and a demonstrable track record of successfully managing the performance of operational solar assets
- A good technical knowledge of electricity generation and solar park technology
- Good contractual understanding and experience of negotiating or managing EPC and O&M
- Competent when dealing with quality standards, best practise procedures, technical specifications etc.
- A self-starter with a passion for the renewable energy industry, desire for success and the willingness to challenge the status quo in order to maximise assets’ ROI safely following best practise
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to build rapport quickly and develop long-term relationships with all stakeholder groups.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to engage with all stakeholder groups including OEMs and contractors
Our Compensation & Benefits
- 26 days holiday plus your birthday off (with option to buy a further 5 days)
- Discretionary Bonus
- Annual Bupa Health Check
- Private Healthcare for you and your family (medical history disregarded)
- Contributory Pension
- EV Car scheme
- Cycle scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Sodexo for commercial discounts and perks
- 3 additional days for volunteering to support causes of your choice
- £50 credit per month towards short notice childcare, eldercare and pet care via ‘Bubble’