Salary: £40k to £50k (depending on skills and experience) plus share of profit
Benefits: We offer excellent benefits and perks
Job type: Permanent and Full Time
Reporting to: CTO
Location: Edinburgh preferred, Hybrid
Start date: ASAP
We support people to work from wherever they are most comfortable, but we understand the importance of coming together to collaborate, socialise and build relationships.
Good-Loop is a purpose-powered advertising platform, on a mission to connect brands, people and good causes globally. We build products that make it easy and profitable for brands to do good at scale and our advertising technology is used by some of the biggest brands in the world, from Nike and Adidas to L’Oreal, Pepsi, Honda and McDonalds.
Good-Loop’s carbon-neutral advertising has raised over $6m for charities around the world and planted over a million trees – all whilst supporting high-quality journalism and diverse publications.
As the first carbon neutral B Corp in AdTech, Good-Loop is uniquely positioned to capitalise on the increasing consumer demand for businesses to step up and contribute to society. We’re a small, but agile and fast-moving team with a lot of heart and even more ambition.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a key member of the Product and Tech team you will be responsible for developing the methodology and algorithms that underpin our Good Media products, helping to improve the ad industry.
There are three topics you’ll work on:
- Measure and reduce the carbon footprint of advertising. This is our current focus.
- Analyse and improve the diversity of media supported by ads.
- Report on accuracy and bias in publications. We expect this to mostly use 3rd party data (e.g. from Newsguard), which you’d assess and advise on.
In a typical week, you will be:
- Working with experts to define and evaluate measurement methodology for various aspects of digital media:
- Electricity use on the internet, and carbon footprint.
- Diversity & inclusion.
- Bias, accuracy, and quality.
- Reviewing a mix of academic literature, industry articles, and advertising technology.
- Analysing first- and third-party data to inform decision-making and new product offerings.
- Working with our tech team to integrate new methodology into our Good Media products.
- Writing explanatory text for customers and the public.
Personal Attributes: a “pragmatic scientist”
- STEM skills: ability to learn and make sense of complex technical matters.
- Good numerical, analytical, and IT skills.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Enthusiasm for climate science and carbon reduction strategies.
- You do not have to be a carbon expert!
- You should be able to read papers like this example (PDF) New perspectives on internet electricity use in 2030, compare them with others, and extract useful information to make practical measurement procedures.
Desired skills and experience
- Educated to MSc or PhD level in a STEM subject.
- Experience in building new research practices and methodology independently.
- Published papers in academic journals.
- Written on science subjects for a general audience.
- Any computer coding experience.
Research shows that while men apply for jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalised groups tend to only apply when they tick every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single requirement on the list above, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and hear about what else you know.
WHY JOIN US?
We give a shit about leaving the world a little bit better than we found it, we’re a passionate and kind team and we’re constantly asking what else we can do to push our industry, and our work, to be better.
We’ve come a long way since we founded in 2016, and we have some ambitious plans to scale and expand across the globe.
We pride ourselves on a relaxed but productive working environment enabling both commercial success and personal development. No matter what stage of your career you're at - from paid internships and graduate opportunities right through to senior posts - we'll support you with the training and development you need to feel empowered to do your best work.
We offer excellent benefits and perks.
We strive to make Good-Loop a place where everyone can do their best work, by bringing together diversity of thought, perspectives, and experience, to create an inclusive environment where our people can be their best selves.
We welcome differences whether it’s gender, gender identity or expression, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marital status, national origin, veteran status, or pregnancy and maternity status; so please, just be yourself.
If you need us to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that your interview experience is a great one, please feel free to let us know.
We rely on legitimate interest as a legal basis for processing personal information under the GDPR for purposes of recruitment and applications for employment.