If you’re a quality manager looking to have a big impact in a brand-new facility, this could be the prefect role for you! You will be right at the heart of our state-of-the-art Vertical Farm in Sandwich, Kent, where you will be supporting the site in producing delicious food products by providing first-hand quality & technical support, ensuring site compliance and day to day task.
You will champion food safety and product quality, as well as all aspects of change management and continuous improvement on site to ensure we meet legal and regulatory requirements as well as customer & industry standards. The successful candidate must demonstrate strong people management skills to lead and develop the team of QAs and have the ability to work with the factory to implement and manage site programmes in order to ensure that the site is always visit ready.
The position is a blend of supporting the teams in ensuring the site is conforming to customer standards and third-party audits, whilst supporting the preparation of audits.
● Ensure compliance to BRCGS and Retailer Standards and ensure all procedures & policies within the Food Safety and Quality Manual are adhered to
● Responsible for document management system
● Responsible for complaint investigations, technical data gathering
● Manage the site Internal Auditing to include GMP, glass, wood and other physical audits and support the team for improving standards
● Responsible for the calibration schedule, such as temperature & weighing equipment, are carried out as per procedures
● Ensure systems for New Product Development, recording results from trials and using the data to manage and create the relevant documentation (QAS, Specification, Analysis)
● To complete and assist with customer specification databases
● To provide training for new starters and to develop training when needed like microbiological sampling, etc.
● To collect data for the quality / technical KPI
Day to day
● Manage, lead and develop the QA team
● Member of the HACCP team and ensure the HACCP plan is followed through documented procedures
● Manage internal audit programme
● Responsible for ensuring the inspection of all finished products that are produced, packed, and labelled per customer requirements. Ensure paperwork accuracy.
● To ensure CCPs, traceability systems for inputs, work in progress and finished products, and all other process control parameters are being followed throughout the site, suitably monitored and under control, and provide the relevant training
● To develop, implement, manage an appropriate regime for the microbiological testing of product and environment by dealing with external laboratory and be responsible for the monitoring, update, and an analysis of the sampling plan (microbiological, Environmental, water). Plan and escalate any non-conformances and out of specifications.
● To maintain appropriate regime for shelf-life, customers testing, laboratory testing, and ensure that accurate records are maintained
● To develop and assist the Grower Manager to maintain systems for monitoring the specification of inputs and packaging material intake, ensuring quality standards and specifications are maintained
● Part of the team that leads investigations with the relevant team and root cause analysis for all non-conformances and customer complaints.
● Direct communicationwith suppliers and customers in relation to complaint investigations, technical data gathering and specification completion
● Maintain and improve the GMP standard of the site
● Log and follow up and non-conformance with the relevant department
Work with the production teams to log relevant method data, timings and any specific techniques required for the development of products
Health and Safety and Food Safety
● Meet all personal and role responsibilities as required under the company health and safety at work policy, and HACCP
● Work in safe manner to eliminate personal risk and risk to others
● Work as a role model when conducting your duties
● Support and promote an active Food and Safety Culture
● Address or report any hazard observed immediately, health or food related
● Ensure correct PPE is always worn by the team
● Maintain personal hygiene to a high standard
Immediately investigate & report any workplace incidents
- Experience working within the food industry (preferable)
- Demonstrates strong people management skills
- Previous experience within a similar role
- Extensive practical experience of HACCP, BRCGS & retailers code of practice
- Food Science degree would be desirable
- Computer literate in all Microsoft packages
- Understanding of Good Hygiene working practices
- Self-motivated and organised
- Proactive attitude
- 25 days holiday
- Parental Leave (3 months full pay, with flexible options for additional leave up to 1 year)
- Pension scheme (5% employer contribution)
- Employee share scheme
- Free parking and EV charging
- Free snacks and fruit at work
- State-of-the-art facility: good working environment and space for rest breaks
- "Vitality at Work" health scheme, including:
- GP consultations
- Up to 40% discount gym membership
- Benefits platform, including:
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Retail discount scheme
- Employee Assistance programme
- Tax free childcare vouchers
- Income protection scheme
- Team entertainment (regular events, offsites, etc)
What’s in it for you?
- Be part of a great business – you will be joining one of the fastest growing and most exciting businesses in the vertical farming industry
- Be part of a great team – you will work with and learn from a friendly, smart, growing, and passionate team who care about each other and the business
- Grow yourself – a chance to develop yourself and make the role your own as the business and team builds, broadening your knowledge and capabilities to push you to the next level
- Share our passion for driving change for good – sustainable production is at the heart of what we do and we’re on the journey to B Corp certification