Job Title: Director of Digital and Technology Operations
Working Pattern: Monday to Friday (09:00-17:00)
Location: Flexible, we could support fully remote or hybrid working from any of our UK offices in London, Cardiff, Durham, Manchester, or Blackpool
As our Director of Digital and Technology Operations, you will be responsible for leading the ongoing development of our Target Operating Model (TOM), ongoing enhancement of our control environment and effective management and performance of the Digital, Data, Technology and Change teams across our organisation. Reporting to the Chief Digital and Technology Officer (CDTO), you will work closely with engineering, design, and wider business teams, including ExCo members to deliver optimal performance and ensure the department is on top of key risks. You will also have a significant role in leading change within our Group Functions.
We’re Tandem. The UK’s fairer, greener, digital bank providing hard working people across the UK with greener ways to spend, borrow and in London, Blackpool, Cardiff, Durham and Manchester, all working together to create a fairer, greener, more accessible bank for people across the UK.
We’re on a mission to proactively help our customers to reduce their carbon footprint and accelerate the UK to net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 and we need more people to help us achieve this goal.
We've taken the beliefs, behaviours, and personality and created four underpinning values. These values demonstrate our guiding principles and behaviours for everyone at Tandem. Our ambition is that these values are ingrained and always front of mind when we're engaging with our stakeholder audiences. Our values are BRAVE, ENTERPRISING, SIMPLE and TOGETHER.
- Lead and support the CDTO and Digital and Technology (DT) Directors in the development and implementation of the TOM (mission, services, enablers, KPIs and roadmap) providing visibility and connected thinking on DT priorities and required headcount. This will include leading on our recruitment growth plans to support the delivery of the DT TOM.
- Lead the execution of the roadmap to improve delivery and operational excellence.
- Lead and support the DT Directors to enhance their first line controls for each of the services within the DT TOM to continue to build the foundations to support our growth agenda.
- Lead and support the DT Directors to develop their phased plans to improve the control environment based on agreed prioritisation. This will include the plan to resolve open audit issues. Actively develop close working relationships with both Audit and Risk and Compliance functions and provide timely updates regarding open items.
- Lead and support the CDTO and DT Directors to provide timely and insightful reporting to Board and Executive Level Governance Committees through the development of, and reporting on meaningful KPIs aligned to DT services and production of standardised committee packs.
- Build and maintain the annual DT budget ensuring alignment to the DT TOM and manage delivery against the budget for the department.
- Drive a performance culture of continued improvement across the division and help the organisation transform and embed the necessary culture to make it a success.
- Proactively identify and lead the delivery of improvements to existing business processes
- Drive performance, productivity, and engagement across all teams, looking at new and innovative ways of working
- Provide hands-on, operational support to CDTO, adapting to evolving business needs
- Partner with the Head of Portfolio Management to continue to implement and embed the approved Change Strategy and Framework across the organisation. This may include some or all the following:
- Develop a proportionate approach to change that empowers all change disciplines to be successful and embed this throughout Tandem.
- To work with all change disciplines to build change capacity and capability within Tandem with a focus on continuous improvement and maturity.
- Define and implement the overall change (including tribe) KPIs and reporting to Board and Executives.
Lead Group Functions Change
- In partnership with the Group Functions Executive Management and their leadership teams, influence the prioritisation of strategic and compliance change programmes and initiatives.
- Stand-up programmes and initiatives to lead the execution of change within Group Functions.
- Recruit and lead a small team of skilled change professions to support the execution of change within Group Functions.
- Work with the [Head of Tribes] to ensure Group Functions programmes and initiatives functional requirements are understood and appropriately prioritized and delivered through tribe initiatives.
- Take responsibility for leading critical change programmes within Group Functions.
- Oversee lessons learned/after action reviews relating to change effectiveness and celebrate success.
- Act as an ambassador for change management, regularly staying up to date with best practices and acting as an advocate for our change journey internally and externally.
What we're looking for:
- You’re an experienced, transformational leader who has clear vision, inspirational communication, intellectual stimulation and is supportive, authentic, and empathic, but can be direct and tough to get things done. This experience should be across several disciplines such as, strategy, product, technology, data, and regulation.
- Partners well with cross-functional teams to solve hard problems and to complete complex deliverables with quality and business outcomes.
- Experienced and confident in working in multiple change methodologies (waterfall and agile) and combinations thereof.
- You are strong on influencing and relationship building; adept at using influence and persuasion to gain buy-in to enable change to happen through others, while exceptional in conflict management skills. Has credibility and impact with senior leaders.
- Has extensive financial services experience (especially banking) and, experience of working in PRA and FCA regulated businesses and understands the expectations of internal and external stakeholders.
- You may have wider business leadership in areas such as strategy and operations that bring relevance to this role.
- An experienced people manager and visionary leader who is passionate about developing leaders and growing others.
- Experience of working with start-ups/ challenger banks would be beneficial.
- 25 days annual leave plus 8 days bank holiday
- Buy or sell up to 5 days holiday a year
- 1 day off for your birthday
- Electric Vehicle scheme
- Cycle to work scheme and a free helmet
- Reward Hub for treats, cash back and discounts
- Pension contribution matched up to 4%
- 2 days per year paid volunteering
- Free cereal and snacks in the office
- Smart tech scheme (buy goods with 0% interest)
- 10% discount on solar panels
- Quarterly team social budgets
- Healthcare plan through Westfield Health
- Free flu jabs
Take part in our Green Deal
- Volunteer 2 days a year for charity > receive an early Friday finish
- Raise £200 per annum for charity > Tandem provide PR and marketing support
- Have renewable energy at home > receive an additional 1-day annual leave
- Drive a lower emissions or hybrid car > free raffle entries with the chance to win a weekend away for 2
- Drive an electric car > receive £500 towards a home charger
Recruitment at Tandem works primarily on a direct sourcing model and does not accept resumes from recruitment agencies which are not on the preferred supplier list. We are not responsible for any related fees for resumes submitted to job postings, our employees, or any other part of our company.
Please be aware that background checking (including credit and criminal records checks) form part of our recruitment process. We will adhere to our duties under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.