About UN University (UNU)
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge, furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. UNU’s mission is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, United Nations University (UNU) has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
About Institute (UNU-BIOLAC)
Located in Caracas, Venezuela, UNU-BIOLAC was established in 1988. UNU-BIOLAC is a capacity development programme in biotechnology which belongs to the UNU system.
The programme’s primary goal is to provide tools to facilitate training and research in biotechnology, thus contributing to the economic and social development of the Latin American region. These actions are taken keeping a balance between science, technology, and modern society.
The creation of UNU-BIOLAC was considered as a first step in the establishment of an international institute for the development of biotechnology in Latin America and the Caribbean with headquarters located in Venezuela.
Under the supervision of the BIOLAC Programme Coordinator and the administrative & programmatic direction of the UNU Headquarters, the Administrative Assistant to the Coordinator will perform duties as follows:
1. Provides administrative support to the Programme Coordinator focusing on the achievement of the following results:
Manage travel arrangements of the Coordinator and other UNU-BIOLAC personnel, SAC members and related invited and partners as necessary;
Fulfill duties as a receptionist for visitors and contact centre (telephone and email);
Alongside the Senior Assistant serves as Focal Point for: Travel, ICT, Communications and Gender.
2. Data base and social media maintenance
Maintenance and update of the digital library and its database;
Preparation and update of dissemination materials (including website information updates);
Preparation of the UNU-BIOLAC Newsletter Weekly Insights, and SLACK community;
Support of web material production;
Follow up on Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook communities;
Support of media campaigns worldwide and locally;
3. Applications and management for academic activities
Channeling (receive, revise, send for evaluation, approval or rejection and follow up) course applications
Channeling (receive, revise, send for evaluation, approval or rejection and follow up) fellowship applications;
Channeling (receive, revise, send for evaluation, approval or rejection and follow up) webinars applications;
Follow up on the evaluation of applications for academic activities;
Follow up of approved academic activities;
4. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Key performance indicators
- To produce weekly insights for social media maintenance.
- To respond and follow any inquiry related to UNU-BIOLAC on email, website, and social media channels
- To maintain and update of Database of Experts and Participants from all programs of UNU-BIOLAC.
- To produce weekly insights for social media maintenance.
- Inclusion — take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity
- Integrity — act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards
- Humility — demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others
- Humanity — act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet
- Connect and collaborate — build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
- Analyse and plan — seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
- Deliver results with positive impact — hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
- Learn and develop — pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
- Adapt and innovate — demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably related to Communications or related fields.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and tools;
- Excellent interpersonal relations, ability to easily work and communicate with others, especially with people with multi-cultural backgrounds;
- Prior administrative experience is desired;
- Communications knowledge and skills in social media, PR and marketing
- Knowledge of photo and video editing for web posting
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required
- Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset.
The successful candidate will be employed under a national PSA contract. UNU offers an attractive compensation package. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and a health insurance scheme.
UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of PSA holders.
Duration of contract
The duration of the initial contract is 6 months. This is Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration on a PSA contract with UNU may not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for PSA holders is 65 years.
Expected start date: September, 2023
How to Apply:
To apply to UNU, you will not need an account. Instead, we ask that you:
- Apply via the apply link;
- fill out the UNU P11 form (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations);
- provide a motivation statement (in the P11 form); and
- answer a few questions that are tailored to the position.
You may wish to refer to the UN Values and Behaviours Framework for more information.
Application Deadline: Until position is filled.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview, background checks and references.
National PSA only: UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.
PSA holders do no hold international civil servant status nor are they considered a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization. Applications from developing countries, and from women are strongly encouraged. Eligible internal applicants are also encouraged to apply.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Information about UNU rosters
UNU reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNU.
UNU does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.