South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As part of the regional Climate Project team, you will oversee the timely and effective generation and delivery of emission reductions and manage the full climate project development cycle in Southeast Asia.
You will support the regional climate project team and any related sourcing & commercial activities, advising project managers, working closely with senior members and coordinating with other teams (commercial, project account management, operation, portfolio, KAM, climate policy, etc.). You will also be expected to ensure that the projects are implemented as agreed while delivering high-quality deliverables.
You will be responsible for the design and development of mitigation projects in the area of the Nature-based Solution (NbS) as well as any related GHG mitigation activity. It may include the new initiatives in environmental certificates as well. You will also deal with the complex situations and technical challenges that will require a problem-solving approach in addition to being creative, independent, resourceful and a trusted leader with functional knowledge/expertise in the GHG mitigation area and related field. Participation in business rounds, technical sessions, site visits and other relevant events will be part of this exciting role.
As a regional lead, the tasks include a technical advisory related to the NbS sector in order to drive the related business development activities of the climate project development, delivering and ensuring the high-quality of carbon credits and deliverables. This is to ensure South Pole will properly and efficiently develop every relevant opportunity to enhance positive environmental impacts.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead the full cycle of climate project development, certification, management including
implementation of all co-benefit certificates. The focused scope covers NbS projects area
- Maintain a good relationship with the Team Head, other Senior Leads, project owners, clients, VVBs (DOEs or auditors) and other counterparts
- Guide, train and support the climate project team members in SE Asia. Support the capacity building in growing the NbS climate project teams
- Support the team heads and any related sourcing & commercial activities, advising project managers, working closely with senior members and coordinating with other teams (commercial, project account management, operation, portfolio, KAM, climate policy, legal team, etc.)
- Be aware of the process of negotiation and signing of ERSA or ERPA with the project owners, as well as of all the internal procedures in the internal project management tool
- Proposal/deliverable preparation and completion to the quality required by South Pole and the client
- Define and plan content and structure to support the certification of a project; work plans, work schedules, budgets, and deliverables. Provide technical reviews and Quality Checks
- Keep the team members or collaborators informed of their progress in the project and ensure that they stay within the time and budget agreed
- Update proposal/project information in the project management tool and ensure all relevant documents are accessible on the data record system at any time. Keep general information, milestones and cash flow in project management tool up to date
- Planning and development of site visits and other types of business trips/training if required
- Budget control and resource management; make use of new upcoming tool's feature to manage budget of all tasks and activities with optimum efficiency and effectiveness
- Undertake research into possible partners and collaborators for upcoming opportunities
- Gather, prepare and present information to represent South Pole at meetings as requested
- Participate in formal and informal networking opportunities as requested. Share relevant contacts and information on possible opportunities with the commercial team
- University Degree in forestry, agriculture and land use, environment and natural resource management, biology, sustainability or climate change and carbon mitigation related fields
- Several years experience in Forestry, Agriculture, Sustainability, Climate Change
Mitigation/Adaptation or related fields
- Familiarity with carbon standards like VERRA, GS4GG, Plant Vivo, Social Carbon, etc
- Good understanding of climate change topic, GHG accounting project, carbon projects, carbon footprint, community based project and renewable energy development is essential
- Ability to work on assignments that are diverse in nature, applying company policies, processes and procedures to resolve a variety of issues/problems
- Creative, independent, resourceful and a trusted leader with functional knowledge/expertise of the carbon sequestration or avoidance area and related field
- Capable in making decisions that focus on the operational aspects and take accountability for it
- Advanced network of potential clients, collaborators or other relevant stakeholders
- Ability to create high quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in English and Thai
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, quantitative and qualitative analytical thinking, especially verbal and written skills in English and Thai
- Hands on experience on carbon project development from initial project assessment to issuance of credits
- Working experience on the project development in the area of forestry, agriculture and land use, natural resource management, conservation and restoration, REDD+, ARR, biodiversity, or similar field will be a plus
- Familiarity with GIS, remote sensing, data analysis will be a plus
- Good network with various market participants e.g. project developers, Auditor and government agencies will be a plus
- Fluency in any ASEAN language is strongly preferred
- A keen attention to details, flexible and efficient
- Open mind and embrace all challenges
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.