South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Senior Business Development Manager is to grow South Pole’s business in Japan. You will immediately lead South Pole’s existing presence in Japan, managing existing customer relationships. You will contribute to the definition and implementation of the go-to-market strategy in Japan and provide inputs for product and service development.
You will understand Japanese needs and be capable of translating South Pole’s existing solutions into the Japanese market, by creating new tailor-made solutions, in close collaboration with other teams such as our marketing, consultancy, carbon and renewables teams to help our Japanese clients to manage their risks and seize opportunities associated with climate change.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead all aspects of Japanese account management and business development activities
- Provide critical inputs to the Head of the region to help defining the regional go-to-market strategy and develop local sales strategies
- Deeply understand Japanese client needs and develop tailored solutions
- Develop compelling offers and proposals together with our product experts and consultants, translating into Japanese where necessary
- Lead negotiations and conclude commercial agreements with clients
- Build long term relationships with new and existing clients by ensuring high-quality services
- Represent South Pole in client meetings, at conferences and virtual events
- Identify market trends and provide inputs for product & service development
- Instill pride in the South Pole brand, inspire & motivate Japanese clients to take the next step in their climate journey
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to topics and services offered by South Pole
- Support the development of South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings; adapt them to Japanese needs in coordination with the marketing team
- University degree in Sustainability and/or Business related discipline
- Professional fluency in written and spoken Japanese (N1) and English
- Excellent presentation skills
- Extensive experience in business development, B to B sales or other commercial,
client-facing roles with Japanese clients
- Prior experience in exposure to the field of sustainability (e.g. renewable energy or carbon markets), corporate responsibility, sustainable development and/or climate change
- Excellent relationship management skills, with a track record in meeting and exceeding sales targets
- Sound understanding of the business drivers behind corporate climate actions and initiatives (eg SBT, RE100, carbon neutrality) and the ability to formulate a business case
- Strong drive for results, action-oriented, with self-direction and sense of urgency
- Ability to challenge the status quo and think out of the box
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders
- Demonstrable commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Critical thinking and decision-making skills with strong business and commercial acumen
- Ability to successfully navigate complexity and effectively deal with ambiguity
- Entrepreneurial mindset, sense of responsibility and willingness to take initiative
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Preferred location Tokyo
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.