📍 Location - based 2 days a week at our HQ in East London, the other 3 days are up to you!
ABOUT THE TEAM THAT DRIVES OUR PLATFORM
We're a PropTech scale-up who have created a revolutionary, cloud-based software platform to bring together agents, landlords and tenants online and process all the paperwork electronically.
Our small, self-organising squads build the platforms and tools to help us achieve our mission. We're disrupting an industry, so there's plenty of thorny, real-world problems to solve on behalf of the agents, landlords and tenants that use our system.
If you want to develop new skills, there'll be plenty of opportunities: many of our current team joined as back-end or front-end developers, and are now working across the full stack.
We are keen advocates of agile delivery; we work closely with our stakeholders and use Kanban to iterate quickly on customer feedback.
You'll be learning every day, from the team around you and senior members of the team who you'll have daily exposure to.
Our platform is built with multiple PHP 8 applications running on Symfony (5.4/6), all deployed within Docker containers on a Kubernetes cluster hosted on AWS. Data is persisted in a MYSQL (AWS Aurora) database. Additionally, we leverage AWS Lambda and Amazon API Gateway for running supplementary services.
Our UI is a mixture of jQuery and React (using Typescript) and we’re actively pushing to have everything in React.
We use Github for version control and Github Actions for building, testing and deploying code to the staging and production environments.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our mission is to provide the best renting experience in the world and you'll play a key part in helping us achieve this by making sure our platforms is best in class.
No two days are ever the same at Goodlord so what you’ll be up to will vary. The pace we move at also means priorities will change and you’ll need to be comfortable with this (we’ll support you!). But these are the things that will be core to your role and will keep you busy.
- Work with Product Managers, business stakeholders and other Engineers to understand end user problems and implement appropriate solutions
- Address issues raised within the application that prevent users from achieving their goals
- Identify bottlenecks in the development process and suggest/implement improvements
- Continuously improve the code base to make it easier to understand and more fun to work with
- Perform self defined tasks geared towards your personal and professional development
What we need from you:
- Significant commercial experience in building complex web applications using Symfony (or similar PHP framework),
- Ability to write good, clean and well-tested code
- Proficient working with relational databases such as MySql and PostgreSql
- Experience working in an agile team with a delivery focus and a keen eye on what the customer needs.
- Willingness to learn new technologies and engineering practices
- Any experience with the following would be a bonus: Typescript, React, Behat, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform and AWS Lambda.
And Goodlord is for you if:
- You want to work in an environment where your input is valued and you can make a real impact
- You’re a pragmatic craftsperson who strives to find the right balance between quality and delivery
- You have a passion for solving end user problems, big or small
- You understand the challenges and rewards that come with working in a startup environment and look forward to taking them on
We started Goodlord because we wanted to make renting simple and transparent for everyone involved: the agent, landlord and tenant. We knew Generation Rent would lead to more tenants, with higher digital expectations and we were confident we could provide a solution.
And we did. Like all startups it’s been a bit of a roller coaster journey, but we’re now stronger than ever, with around 3000 letting agents using the platform, exciting & varied product lines and 320 Goodlordians supporting the mission!
Our purpose - building the best rental experience in the world - is clear to everyone, and so too is the fact that people are central to achieving that mission; we have worked hard to make Goodlord great so we’re proud to have been ranked 10th in the UK's Best Workplaces™ 2022 - Large category.
Not only that but the following too:-
- 10th Great Place to Work in the UK large-sized businesses 2022
- 23rd Wellbeing Great Place to Work in UK Large- sized businesses 2022
- 18th best workplace for Women in UK large-sized businesses 2022
- 13th best workplaces for Tech in UK large-sized businesses 2022
- Excellence in wellbeing for our dedication to goodlordian’s wellbeing
- Verified by Flexa as a Flexified employer - Top 100 for 2022
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect.
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE BEING A GOODLORDIAN:
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here’s a few favourites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
- 🚀 Grow with Goodlord: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us and you can use your £1000 annual development fund to support it. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord too!
- 💕 Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- 🌴 Unlimited holiday and flexible time off: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge and reboot (subject to passing probation and fair usage principles). We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- 🤗 Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- 🤩 Our team: we’re an energetic, sociable, and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment. In fact one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us. If there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come and join us!
** Please note, as we are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all Goodlordians are required to pass a thorough referencing check (including ID and DBS check) via Experian before joining the team. We will only ask for references at the point of making an offer **
Sadly we cannot provide sponsorship on this role
Strictly NO agencies - we have trusted partners that we work with should we need support