350.org is looking for a Head of Regions to join our team of dedicated individuals who will support the overall strategic direction of 350, and build an organizational culture, values as well as practices that are rooted in justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI).
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns,grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteerorganizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way—everywhere at once,using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways tostrengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values thatguide and drive our work are listed here.
350.org is an equal-opportunity employer. 350.org strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group ofpeople who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys workingtogether. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverseperspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work – including what wedecide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positionsaccessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability,assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed,veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include teammembers in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds ofenvironmental, social, and economic injustice.
The Head of Regions is a member of 350.org’s Global Executive Team responsible for the overall strategic direction and leadership of the organization, and building an organizational culture, values and practices that are rooted in justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI).
We are embarking on a new organisational strategy that is shifting 350’s stance to not just campaign against fossil fuels, but also for the solutions to the climate crisis, with a focus on alternative energy systems that are not only powered entirely by renewable energy, but that provide affordability and access as well, and that are controlled and owned by and for people, not corporate profit.
The Head of Regions will be responsible for overseeing 350.org’s programmatic work in Asia, Pacific, Africa, North America, Europe and Latin America regions. This includes the development of strategies focused on regional campaigns, organizing, mobilization and movement support to achieve 350 Global Strategic Goals, as well as making sure that regional contexts and voices are elevated at the global level.
The Head of Regions will work hand-in-hand with the Head of Campaigning and Organizing and the Head of Public Engagement to share the responsibility of achieving our strategic goal of building a global movement rooted in regional contexts.
The Head of Regions will be supported by a Deputy Head of Regions and supervise all Regional Directors and the Deputy Head of Regions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a member of the Global Executive Team, set and communicate 350.org’s overall strategic and operational direction and ensure alignment across the organization. Translate 350.org’s strategic goals and Theory of Change into department goals with clear and measurable key performance indicators.
- Provide strategic alignment amongst regional team leaders on regional, national and local campaigns, organizing, mobilization, public engagement, and movement support, and ensuring cohesion and alignment with 350.org’s overall strategy, theory or change, and periodic goals.
- Together with the Heads of Campaigning and Organising, and of Public Engagement, ensure that regional priorities are aligned with a Global Programme for 350 worldwide.
- Support regional team leads in incubating, supporting and developing strategies and tactics for building a broader and more diverse base of partners, affiliates and supporters.
- Support, coach and partner with regional team leads in developing change management practices.
- Identify and support opportunities for professional development and growth of regional team leaders.
- Support the development and implementation of regional strategies to help grassroots climate justice organizations build alliances, partnerships, and coalitions with other organizations to enhance their power and to achieve their goals. This includes resourcing, training and incubating leaders and 350 local groups.
- Oversee and support the development of region-specific strategies and build models for dismantling the flow of financial and political support to the fossil fuel industry by shifting the overarching discourse on climate action.
- Support operationalization of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion into program planning and benchmarks.
- Develop strategies for integrated and regularized cross-regional collaboration and sharing of campaign best practice.
- Partner with regional leadership to establish performance measures, monitor results and evaluate the effectiveness of the organisation’s regional programs.
- Oversee the creation and management of the department's annual budget.
- At least 10 years of experience in humanitarian or development work, climate justice, social justice, human rights or related work and 5 years of experience in analyzing emerging trends and opportunities, and building strategies and tactics for global and regional campaign, movement building and mobilization.
- Strong experience working across multiple regions in the Global North and Global South with different operational contexts.
- At least 8 years of experience in senior management or leadership roles.
- A strong commitment to justice issues and commitment to ending the era of fossil fuels.
- Proven track record of setting up and leading operations or programs in countries in the Global South and/or East Asia.
- Demonstrated experience of working in high risk environments.
- Experience in security management and risk assessments.
- A demonstrated understanding of and commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI), anti-racism or anti-oppression work. Ability to manage across differences and work effectively with people from diverse racial, ethnic, class, age, gender, and sexual orientation backgrounds.
- Strong ability to think strategically and translate overarching strategies into department goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to cultivate and establish partnerships with colleagues, external partners, media and other stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to translate complex data into clear and simple messages for a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to manage complex projects and work across departments.
- Ability to prioritize and focus effectively across a wide range of responsibilities.
- Comfort and ease working in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to demonstrate grace under pressure.
- Strong ability to manage and work with remote teams from across the globe.
- Fluency in English.
Preferred but not required:
- Experience running a large and diverse department and using organizational resources effectively.
- Familiarity with Google Suites, Zoom and Slack.
- Bilingual and English and another language preferred, but not required.
- Someone who is a Self-starter, self-directed or with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Experience of working and living in 2 or more 350.org regions.
- Experience leading regional teams or divisions.
- This role may be required to travel domestically and internationally.
- This role is expected to work remotely with an ability to work across different time zones.
We are looking for someone who is comfortable working remotely in coordination both with teams and independently who is also highly responsive, and able to lead initiatives as well as take direction from others.
Position Type: Full-time
Application Deadline: This job is open until it is filled
Compensation: Salary tier 5.1 (click here to view the salary table) - please note that the salaries for Argentina, Nigeria and Turkey will be adjusted, as per our hyperinflation policy
Location: Remote in 1 of 29 countries 350.org works (Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Benin, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Fiji, France, Germany, Indonesia, Japan, Kenya, Netherlands, Nigeria, Philippines, Poland, Senegal, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, UK or the USA)
In the USA, we can hire in the following states only: CA, CO, CT, GA, MA, MD, ME, MT, NC, NJ, NY, PA, VT, VA, WA, WI or Washington, D.C.
If you have suggestions for us on how to do this better, we really value your input and stronglyencourage you to write to us email@example.com the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.