Who are we?
Tumelo’s mission is to empower shareholder democracy with technology that supports impactful stewardship. Our technology suite gives retail and institutional investors full transparency over their investment holdings and enables them to have a voice on the issues they care about. We believe that our technology has the potential to create a more transparent and representative stewardship process, which will lead to better outcomes for investors and the industry as a whole.
We’re also incredibly passionate about Tumelo’s culture and ways of working. We have an amazing team who care deeply about our mission. We value team well-being and strive to build a safe, healthy environment where people can bring their whole selves to work.
The Engineering Ethos
Engineering culture is at the heart of our operation. We’re dedicated to the principle that teams given high trust, high autonomy, and a clear sense of direction, create great solutions. And in this way, we keep process low, we give everyone a voice, and we work hard to maintain and continuously improve our culture and working practices. We aren’t scared to innovate, and we embrace failure as a chance to learn and do better next time. We value the humans that make up our great team and we don’t observe any strong hierarchies. We have a common goal and we’re all striving for it, contributing our own unique pieces to the puzzle. We value collaboration because we understand that special things happen with the right blend of people (whatever that blend looks like).
You’ll be working with some stellar technologies including Go, REST/gRPC-based microservices, Kubernetes, Postgres, Terraform, Typescript and React (Next.js). We deploy across Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services. We’re big on automation so CI/CD (via Gitlab) sits at the heart of code promotion for our SaaS product. We release multiple times a day and we’re proud to have achieved that agility.
We’re seeking an experienced senior engineer to join the team. Even though the role is ‘full-stack’, the greatest part of your day to day is likely to be focused on backend. However, we expect that you have a willingness to roll up your frontend sleeves and get stuck in when required with an active interest to keep broadening your frontend expertise.
We’re big on DevOps and teams own their end-to-end delivery. This makes for a varied day-to-day where you could be designing new system architecture, building on existing services, integrating with third party systems, tweaking CI pipelines or enhancing observability (to name but a few things).
Skills and Experience
If you have any of the following, we'd be especially interested to hear from you. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified below, and you think you can rock the role, we’d still love to learn more about you.
- A solid understanding of the fundamentals of computer science having completed further education in computer science or similar, or with equivalent commercial experience.
- A great understanding of software engineering principles that you use to guide you in building scalable, efficient and maintainable code.
- Strong experience writing code in Go, or another strongly typed language, in a commercial setting.
- Strong experience working with a variety of databases (SQL, NoSQL and/or BigQuery) and the ability to optimise queries.
- You should possess a strong interest in writing testable code that utilises the principles of TDD/BDD and enthusiasm for adopting an automation first approach (CI/CD).
- Previous experience designing and writing RESTful APIs and a good understanding of Swagger/Open API standard is highly beneficial. If you’ve written APIs using gRPC it would be especially interesting.
- Experience in the deployment and management of containerised services, preferably using Kubernetes.
- Understanding of DevOps, Terraform, Skaffold, GCP and/or AWS.
- Previous experience in a scale-up environment where prioritisation and working to hit your goals is strongly encouraged.
- Experience with React and ideally TypeScript.
- You’re a hands-on developer who loves to get stuck in and get stuff done.
- You are passionate about software development and enthusiastic about projects you work on, especially about learning new stuff and pushing your own boundaries.
- You love working collaboratively in a small team and are a brilliant, proactive communicator.
- You value giving and receiving constructive and honest feedback.
- When time allows, you are reflective and dream big. But you're a speedy worker who can handle high pressure and a quick turn around when deadlines are tight.
The interview process consists of three stage and technical challenge that we’ll ask you to complete in your own time.
Salary and benefits:
Find out more about what it's like to work for Tumelo on our careers page!
- Up to £75,000 Salary, dependent on experience.
- Generous company share scheme
- Private healthcare
- Work From Home budget
- 5% employer pension contribution