Job Title: Underwriting Manager
Working Pattern: Monday to Friday (09:00-17:00)
Salary: up to £45,000 and up to 20% bonus and benefits
Location: Cardiff office (4 days a week in the office)
We’re Tandem. The UK’s fairer, greener, digital bank providing hard working people across the UK with greener ways to spend, borrow and save.
With more than 500 people in London, Blackpool, Cardiff, Durham and Manchester, all working together to create a fairer, greener, more accessible bank for people across the UK.
We’re on a mission to proactively help our customers to reduce their carbon footprint and accelerate the UK to net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 and we need more people to help us achieve this goal.
We've taken the beliefs, behaviours, and personality and created four underpinning values. These values demonstrate our guiding principles and behaviours for everyone at Tandem. Our ambition is that these values are ingrained and always front of mind when we're engaging with our stakeholder audiences. Our values are BRAVE, ENTERPRISING, SIMPLE and TOGETHER.
Led by our Managing Director, the Tandem Motor Finance team are building an exciting new proposition to the industry. We’ll offer our digital products to hard working people across the UK through our network of dealer partners with a very clear focus on our Green and Fair credentials. Our aim is to help power the potential of our customers, people, partners and investors.
What you will be working on:
Reporting to the Lending Director (Motor), the Underwriting Manager will be:
- Responsible for the team’s performance (13 Underwriters), ensuring strong clear communication to achieve KPI’s set by the business.
- Managing staff resource including effective recruitment in line with the recruitment policy.
- Accurately assess and manage all lending opportunities to effectively decide in line with company policies and procedures, ensuring we deliver robust affordability, sustainability, credit worthiness and positive customer outcomes.
- Motivate and drive the Lending Team to positively contribute to the delivery of departmental and business key performance objectives, with Individual performance management through completing monthly 121’s and quarterly performance reviews, providing constructive feedback.
- Ensure team SLA’s are met and when possible, exceeded for our intermediaries and customers
- Act as a mentor to the immediate and wider team.
- Have excellent understanding of our Credit policies, lending rules and appetite
- Sound Commercial understanding
- Good understanding of the FCA rulebook and ability to demonstrate the desired outcomes
- Ensure our Fair and Green outcomes are upheld and championed
- Represent the department and positively contribute to relevant committee meetings/projects groups as directed by Lending Director (Motor).
- Maintain good level of knowledge of the relevant industry sector.
- Accountable for ownership of individual performance and contribution to achieve KPI’s set by the business.
What we're looking for:
- Experience of managing an Underwriting team whilst promoting a culture of inclusion and idea innovation.
- Ability to support and motivate a team to achieve positive results with a customer first approach.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of FCA regulations and the regulated environment.
- Ability to effectively coach and provide constructive feedback to all levels.
- Good organisational and time management skills resulting in the ability to prioritise tasks to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to interpret management information reports to deliver performance and the ability to confidently present results to senior managers with a summary of remedial actions.
- Have a flexible approach to meet the business needs and the ability to adapt and manage change/transformation.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Strong computer literacy including working experience on Microsoft Office
- 25 days annual leave plus 8 days bank holiday
- Buy or sell up to 5 days holiday a year
- 1 day off for your birthday
- Electric Vehicle scheme
- Cycle to work scheme and a free helmet
- Reward Hub for treats, cash back and discounts
- Pension contribution matched up to 4%
- 2 days per year paid volunteering
- Free cereal and snacks in the office
- Smart tech scheme (buy goods with 0% interest)
- 10% discount on solar panels
- Quarterly team social budgets
- Healthcare plan through Westfield Health
- Free flu jabs
Take part in our Green Deal
- Volunteer 2 days a year for charity > receive an early Friday finish
- Raise £200 per annum for charity > Tandem provide PR and marketing support
- Have renewable energy at home > receive an additional 1-day annual leave
- Drive a lower emissions or hybrid car > free raffle entries with the chance to win a weekend away for 2
- Drive an electric car > receive £500 towards a home charger
Tandem is an equal opportunity employer and are committed to meeting our responsibilities under the Equality Act (2010). We respect the diverse experience and talents that every individual brings to our Company, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
Please be aware that background checking (including credit and criminal records checks) form part of our recruitment process. We will adhere to our duties under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.