South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As part of the Climate Projects team, you will oversee the timely and effective generation and delivery of emission reductions of Nature Based Solutions (NBS) projects in the African region under the carbon and co-benefits standards (e.g. VCS, The Gold Standard, CCBS, Social Carbon & other certification programs).
Specifically, you will assess, develop and implement REDD+, Aforestation, Reforestation, Revegetation (ARR) and Assisted Natural Reforestation (ANR) projects in protected areas across Africa. You will fulfil a key role in leveraging the carbon market to commercialise conservation activities, in coordination with a key implementation partner.
As a Project Manager, you have to be able to work in ateam of people, supporting and assisting as necessary, in order to reach the required result.
Your role will also ensure that the projects are implemented as agreed while providing high-quality deliverables (project documents, monitoring reports, budget analysis, reviews, updates, and others).
As a Project Manager, you will participate in government meetings, technical sessions, site visits, and other relevant events.
If you are an enthusiastic and dynamic person with an appropriate academic background, French language capacity and are passionate to contribute to the fight against climate change while developing alternative income streams for African protected areas, then we are looking for you.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Management of climate mitigation projects from initial assessment to carbon credit issuance.
- Development of REDD+, ARR and ANR projects in protected areas across Africa, including technical assessments, development of project documents, monitor reports, among others.
- Define and plan content and structure to support the certification of a project: work plans, work schedules, budgets, and deliverables.
- Coordinating with relevant verification bodies to ensure a smooth and timely assessment of documents submission to the relevant standard.
- Review and synthesise technical, legal, and all other documents in both French and English as received by our project partner.
- Communicate and collaborate regularly with the immediate team and others across South Pole, as necessary.
- Keep general information, dedicated folders, milestones and cash flow up to date.
- Plan and conduct site visits and other types of business trips/training whenever needed.
- Identify possible partners and collaborators for the development and implementation of projects.
- Gather, prepare and present information to represent South Pole at meetings when requested
- University degree in environmental science, natural resource management, ecology,forestry engineering, geography, or any other related field
- Several years of work experience in Forestry, Climate Change Mitigation/Adaptation or related projects in Africa
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and French (knowledge of French is essential for this position)
- Technical knowledge of REDD+, ARR, and ANR methodologies
- Experience in working onconservation carbon projects or on other Nature Based Solutions carbon projects
- Experience managing people
- Strong project management capacity and highly organised
- Ability to interact with and manage key partners
- Ability to work within an interdisciplinary, global team (Junior to mid-level project coordinators) including internal and/or external collaborators sitting in different countries
- Good prioritisation and time management skills
- Knowledge of African ecosystems and biodiversity
- Knowledge of forest and carbon modelling
- Experience with GIS analysis
- Ability to work on assignments that are diverse in nature, applying company policies, processes and procedures to resolve a variety of issues/problems
- Oral and written skills in other languages (ie., Portuguese, Swahili)
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.