Travalyst is a non-profit organisation working to identify – and help bring about – the systemic changes needed in order for sustainable travel to be taken out of the niche, and into the mainstream.
We believe tourism can, and must, play a key role in achieving a sustainable future for our world; so we’re convening the key players, and catalysing the necessary action, to change the impact of travel, for good. We are committed to being a driving force that redefines what it means to travel, helping everyone explore our world in a way that protects both people and places, and secures a positive future for destinations and local communities for generations to come.
We were founded in partnership with Booking.com, Expedia, Google, Skyscanner, Trip.com Group, Tripadvisor, and Visa. We now have nine of the world’s leading companies and brands associated with travel working with us to make travel more sustainable.
Travalyst provides supportive, independent and neutral governance, empowering our Coalition of some of the biggest – and occasionally competing – travel companies and service providers to share data and accelerate change. The goal is to bring credible, consistent sustainability information to the mainstream, helping both travellers and travel companies make better, greener choices.
What does the Strategy and Research Analyst at Travalyst do?
As the Strategy and Research Analyst at Travalyst, you could work on research projects across any of our activities. This could mean:
- Researching potential partner organisations across sustainability and travel, to understand their focus and how we could work together
- Developing presentations with our comms and strategy leads for the CEO to use with partners or at conferences
- Translating elements of our strategic plan into deliverable actions - for example thinking about how we engage with local communities in the travel and tourism ecosystem
- Mapping out the corporate travel sector and how new ESG measurement requirements are going to make big companies change the way they book and account for travel
- Supporting our Head of Strategy in thinking about what the travel sector will look like in ten years time
It’s difficult to be precise on the exact things you will be working on, but this is an opportunity to work on projects that will have a global positive impact. Ideal candidates will have a passion for sustainable travel and the ability to mix great research skills with strategic thinking so that our work can deliver measurable change. You may currently be working in a high impact or top tier consulting firm and realise that you want your work to benefit the planet more directly.
How do we work?
We are not perfect, and pride ourselves by driving new learnings every day. We try new things, take risks, make educated guesses and move quickly. We aren’t dogmatic, but we believe in the tenets of agile development. Excellent communication and collaboration skills are a must. Our work and focus of activity are continually evolving, and we are a small team, so you can expect your tasks and projects to change to meet evolving priorities.
What you’ll get to do:
· Examine market and industry trends, analyse the growth and development plans of key market players and track relevant policy and legislative developments
· Develop strategy plans, and turn our three year strategy into specific actions
· Work closely with our Head of Strategy in considering the future of travel and how we can encourage more sustainable choices
· Manage impact reporting within our own business and ensure we are best in class in CO2 measuring and reduction
· Conduct original research, both qualitative and quantitative in nature, using a wide variety of research resources and methods
· Collect and maintain source data and materials needed to support research conclusions with precision and accuracy
· Draft a variety of reports, presentations and documents for a diverse set of audiences including regulators, partners and third parties
· Maintain databases of key events, research and learnings
· Help track project progress and ensure we meet our goals
What skills we’re looking for:
· Experience as a strategy and research analyst, possibly within a high impact or top tier consulting firm or within a travel or sustainability business
· Good academic record, with a degree in a relevant subject
· Strong problem solving, analytical, and decision making skills partnered with a creative mind, with good content writing skills
· Able to interpret data and trends, diagnose problems, and formulate effective actions plans to resolve issues
· Good business judgement when making decisions and always considers the relevance/impact of each decision on the business
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including team skills
· High attention to detail and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects at a time. Successfully able to meet deadlines
· Self-motivated worker with entrepreneurial passion. Proven creative problem solving and innovative mindset
· A desire to work in a fast-paced, results-driven environment with varied responsibilities.
· Flexible and open to change and new information; is first to understand when team behaviours and work methods need to adapt to new information
· Recognises own strengths and weaknesses; pursues self-development and seeks feedback
· Treats colleagues and partners with respect
· Passion for sustainable travel
An ‘Open to All’ employer, we warmly welcome everybody to the team. People of colour, LGBTQIA+ people, neurodiverse people, individuals with impairments, and parents are encouraged to apply. We encourage you to notify our team of your pronouns at any stage of your application. We also welcome applications from people who come from communities that are directly affected by the impacts of travel and tourism. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process as required. Please add any adjustment requests to your application.