We’re currently looking for a Digital Community Officer to support our Digital Strategy Manager and the wider Reef-World team to help maximise our digital conservation impact.
The Green Fins initiative drives sustainable behaviours for environmental protection by providing low-cost and practical solutions to local and industry-wide environmental challenges associated with the marine tourism industry. To date, trained Green Fins Assessors have verified operators in-person every year. This works but isn’t scalable, so Reef-World is building digital membership for the Green Fins initiative to be delivered by a new digital platform called the Green Fins Hub.
When the Hub launches, the Digital Community Officer will be an active participant in the discussion as a moderator and facilitator while also providing customer service and day to day management of the Hub’s administration. We expect the Green Fins Hub to shape the future of sustainable marine tourism globally, and the Digital Community Officer will be the voice for this. They will also communicate with the Green Fins national teams (usually local government and NGO staff members) to facilitate their interaction with the Hub.
The Digital Community Officer will be passionate about protecting coral reefs and the incredible marine life they support because of their ecological value as well as for the benefit of our stakeholders - local communities, visitors, and future generations.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Green Fins Hub coordination lead
Hub community forum management
- Be Reef-World’s voice behind the online Green Fins community.
- Work with the Digital Strategy Manager and Programmes Manager to refine and implement the community strategy so that Reef-World builds an active, vibrant and inclusive community of Green Fins operator members.
- Gather and share insights from across the organisation to inform decision making.
- Propose improvements to the Hub user experience to maximise the conservation impact of the platform.
- Represent and champion community opinion within Reef-World.
- Work with network teams, community collaborators, and partners to facilitate their participation in the Hub community.
Hub membership management
- To ensure that any issues onboarding or support request emails are swiftly dealt with.
- Support the Green Fins National Teams to verify Green Fins Certified Membership applications and add assessment action plan points and score info onto the Hub (data inputting).
Hub action plan oversight
- Monitor and encourage progress of Hub users and proactively contact members who appear to be underperforming or not engaging with their action plans
- Support the Reef-World team in creating and maintaining the conditions to ensure effective teamwork and morale following Reef-World’s core values.
- Support administration duties for project and programme development and implementation in project sites as instructed.
- Support reporting of Reef-World activities to the Trustees, UNEP and other grant sources.
The employee’s duties may from time to time be reasonably modified as necessary to meet the needs of the Charity and/or associated project.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We’re on the lookout for someone who is passionate about conserving coral reefs and the marine life and local communities they support. The individual will be dedicated to using Reef-World’s digital tools and assets to inspire and empower long term changes in behaviour and business practices in line with the code of conduct, throughout the Green Fins network.
This person will have 1-3 years of experience in online community management. They will be a proactive and resourceful team member able to work independently and remotely across multiple time zones while maintaining strong communications with international team members.
Online community management experience is more important than technical skills.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Prior experience in online community management;
- Previous knowledge of the diving or marine tourism industry;
- Strong communication skills;
- Team player;
- Able to effectively manage workloads and ask for help when needed;
- Fluent English speaker; other languages are a bonus;
- Good written English and research skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to use Google Workspace (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Mail);
- Committed to equity, diversity and inclusion; and:-
- Open to new experiences, adaptable and a sense of humour!
- Virtual event organisation;
- Data analysis skills;
- Technical background in software engineering, open source, or linux server administration;
- A certified scuba diver;
- Knowledge of, or experience in, the marine conservation sector; and:-
- Prior experience working with governments and/or NGOs.
Reef-World believes that a team with diverse experiences and backgrounds generates richer discussions and more nuanced thinking that will magnify our conservation impact. We strive to be an inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcome and respected. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from anyone with the required skills and experience: whatever their background. We actively encourage applications from those whose identities reflect the diversity of the communities and networks we serve and whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in the conservation sector.