Board-level hiring is stuck in the past - that’s where Nurole comes in. We were founded by industry veteran Susie Cummings, who realised there has to be a better and fairer way, in the digital age of hiring the world's leaders, beyond little black books and the old boys’ network.
Nurole is the global hiring marketplace working exclusively at board level. Our clients range from listed and private organisations, such as Games Workshop, Uber, and Oddbox, to nonprofits, such as Comic Relief, the University of Oxford, and the RSPCA. We're highly mission-driven and social impact is core to the business model - we believe our unique, tech-driven method casts the net wider for every search and is a fairer, better way to find new and diverse talent. We also discount our fees by 90% for nonprofits and donate to charity every time one of our members recommends a placed candidate in a compensated role.
Our aim is for Nurole to become the way for boards to hire. We’ve already placed over 1,500 people, helping 10 people find a non-executive role each week of 2021. We’re growing fast. The Financial Times listed us in the top 1,000 fastest-growing organisations in Europe for the third time in 2022.
By hiring the right people, good boards become great. Great boards change their organisations, and great organisations change the world.
The work we do matters. We’d love you to join us.
As we transition from start up to scale up, Nurole is looking to expand their DevOps capability by hiring a Senior DevOps Engineer to develop our infrastructure engineering chapter, supporting agile teams moving from “dev to prod” in our rapidly growing platform.
Some projects you may like to get involved in include:
- Provide technical mentorship, troubleshooting expertise and architectural insight to colleagues across the business.
- Work collaboratively with other engineering team members to automate deployments across our platform.
- Automate build of environments for services being worked on by the delivery squads right now, thus setting a template for how deployment will work at Nurole in future.
- Work with our QA Manager and lead Developers to deliver key metrics - release rate, lead time, release failure rate and time to restore Upgrade monitoring of live systems. Migrate deployments & environments away from elastic beanstalk.
- Automate creation of feature-branch specific test environments.
- Build tools and processes to reduce barriers, decrease friction and speed up the delivery of products. Scale existing technologies or promote new technologies to out-pace our growth projections.
The required skills and experience for the Senior DevOps Engineer are:
- You are currently a conduit for technical expertise with a background liaising with infrastructure partners to support 2nd and 3rd party systems.
- Excited by evangelising next-generation Cloud products and processes, experimenting with their implementation and bringing them to fruition.
- You have done this before, setting up webapp environments through code & deployment pipelines, etc.
- Strong programming and scripting fundamentals (C#, .NET, Powershell, Bash).
- An understanding of our direct tech stacks - Node, Ruby on rails, Mongodb.
- A default desire to write tools and applications to automate work rather than do everything by hand.
- Natural inclination to write solid documentation, playbooks, how-to guides and troubleshooting materials.
- You are excited about our vision.
- Understand that our product starts and ends with the customer, technical perfection is nothing without users.
- Have AWS or other recognised sysadmin certifications such as ITIL, CompTIA, LPIC, etc
- Technical understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC).
- Consistent record of securely architecting and managing cloud platforms like AWS using Infrastructure as Code techniques.
- Understanding of enterprise network architecture with particular emphasis on load balancing, firewalls, proxies, ACLs, DNS and virtual network.
- Relevant knowledge and experience of Agile working practises.
- Believes testing is by no means an afterthought.
- Has a passion for continuous improvement - loves learning and sharing that knowledge.
- Gets excited about rapid iteration and understands the importance of a short feedback loop.
- Strong communication skills and ability to build relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the business.
- We want people to be proud to work at Nurole – because of what we do, how we do it and what we stand for.
- Throw yourself into your work and we’ll commit to you.
- We don’t mind if you make mistakes – as long as you learn from them.
- We’re big believers in data. This should guide everything we do.
- We strive to be a very human tech company. We want everyone to feel valued and able to do their best work.
Nurole’s culture is built on three core values:
- Be Bold – moon shoot, own it, be brilliant.
- Build Trust – always be kind, nothing beneath us, givers not takers.
- Be Better – growth mindset, black box thinking, autonomy mastery purpose.
- Share options.
- 25 days holiday p.a. & bank holidays.
- Private health insurance (after 12 months of service).
- Regular team events & off-sites.
Founder - Susie Cummings:
Susie, a former top-tier headhunter with over 30 years’ experience and founder of one of Europe’s most successful retained executive search firms, is the founder of Nurole.
Susie started her working life at Advent Venture Partners, where it soon became clear that getting the right senior management team was as important to the success of a business as the strategy or securing the capital itself. This philosophy is at the heart of everything Nurole does today.
CEO - Oliver Cummings:
Oliver joined the company after a decade working as a private equity investor, most recently as a partner at BXR Partners, an international private investment group with a 19-year track record of superior investment performance across a variety of industry sectors, and previously at Goldman Sachs Capital Partners.
Oliver is currently a non-executive director of Thomas’s London Day Schools, a privately-owned schools group with over 2,000 students across London. He also serves on the advisory board of Potage (www.potage.co.uk), recently voted in the top 8 food delivery services in the UK by GQ.
CTO - Gareth Cokell:
Gareth has 20 years’ experience as a developer across a variety of technology stacks. From the beginning of his career he has been passionate about optimising the development process and has previously held roles coaching developers in extreme programming (XP) and transitioning teams onto agile practices. Immediately prior to working with Nurole, Gareth led the rewrite of radiotimes.com, shepherding the site through re-launch, sale and subsequent expansion, resulting in the tripling of monthly unique users to 3.5m and the return of the Radio Times brand to the #1 position in the market.
Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity is part of the Nurole DNA, as our platform is designed to attract and identify more diverse candidates for every role.
As a company, we are committed to being a diverse and inclusive organisation, but we know we have work to do. We recently set up a Diversity Committee and appointed a Diversity Champion to drive our efforts in this area. It is looking at both our internal data and policies, and how the Nurole platform empowers people from the widest possible range of backgrounds.