We’re on a mission to level the playing field when it comes to young people finding and applying for their next step after school. We're achieving this by bringing all the available information into one single, impartial, user-friendly platform that helps students to make the best choices, and submit the strongest applications. We also empower teachers and counselors to manage the progression process effectively.
Our outlook is global: we work with schools and universities all over the world, from the US to New Zealand, Somaliland to Burkina Faso, Italy to Hong Kong. We want to make it so that young people can compare every opportunity taught in English, wherever it is in the world, and have all the support they need to make successful applications.
We have a clear social purpose, and we’re hugely ambitious. We already work with nearly half of UK secondary schools, and hundreds of international schools. We are growing rapidly in terms of the number of our customers, in terms of how much they use our platform, and in terms of the breadth of products we offer.
Our team is at the heart of our business and is integral to our success. We work hard to foster a culture of happiness, openness, and innovation, and we commit to helping every individual learn and grow so that they can reach their full potential. We want to hire talented people, whatever their background. If you are excited by our mission and are ready to work hard, please don’t hesitate to apply. We look forward to hearing from you! We believe in the power of diversity. If you are from an ethnic minority background, we strongly encourage you to apply. In advance of applying if you have any questions about working at Unifrog, please contact one of our Diversity Champions, Hannah or Farhana (visit our website for details).
Content at Unifrog
Whether we are communicating through image, video, animation or text, we always try to be straightforward, honest, and to show respect for the people with whom we are communicating. Clear communication is particularly important for us because our mission is to level the playing field when it comes to access to opportunities, and a big part of this effort is fair and straightforward access to information. It’s also important for us to be fun, while not talking down to young people.
Over the last few years, with only a small team, we have created more than 1,000 guides for students on topics to do with careers and PSHE, more than 250 plug-and-play teaching resources, and dozens of high quality short videos and animations. We have extremely high standards for content – everything has to be actually useful, and enjoyable.
Marketing at Unifrog
Our approach is to promote Unifrog through materials and events that offer something genuinely useful, not marketing for marketing’s sake. For example:
- We run popular webinars and virtual fairs for students and teachers, normally in partnership with universities and employers.
- We publish Insight Reports and a monthly newsletter, both of which use data analysis on Unifrog user behaviour to create actionable insights for teachers.
What you’ll lead on
You’ll have overall responsibility for ensuring that our content and marketing help us to reach our commercial and social impact objectives. This will include:
- Optimising how the content and marketing teams work, in particular:
o How content and marketing integrate with each other.
o How we come up with new ideas, get feedback, launch things, and assess their success.
o How we use data to understand how to develop our work.
- Refining our messages to different audiences, which has become increasingly important as our audiences have grown and diversified.
- Tackling some ambitious content projects we already have in the pipeline, which will involve expanding our partnership offering for universities and employers.
- Positioning Unifrog as a thought leader in the careers and destinations space, with a particular focus on:
o UK post-18 destinations (from widening participation in HE, to student engagement with apprenticeship opportunities).
o International HE recruitment.
o Young people’s priorities and concerns regarding their education and careers.
In the content and marketing teams we commonly brainstorm new ideas as a group, provide feedback on each other’s work, and get feedback from teachers and students at our partner schools. We promote good ideas regardless of where they come from.
You’ll manage our content team, which consists of experienced writers, teaching resource creators, video creators, and a graphic and motion designer.
You’ll also manage our marketing team, three people who focus mainly on our marketing collateral, the events we run and attend, and on our central communications to partners.
You’ll directly line-manage our Marketing Manager, Head of Student Content, and Head of Teacher Content. This will include conducting their 6-month performance reviews and supporting with their development goals.
In addition, you’ll work closely with people on our data insights, sales, account management, and strategy teams.
Your line manager will be Unifrog’s CEO, and some of your projects will be managed by one of Unifrog’s two Directors.
Key skills and characteristics
- Writing and editing skills
It’s essential that you are a skilled writer, easily able to create guides like this and this. You also need to be able to edit other people’s writing so that it meets the standard we need. We want someone who will put care and effort into making sure every piece of content we produce is high quality.
- Adept at feeding back on designs, images and videos
You won’t need to create designs, images or videos, but you need to be able to have an excellent eye for what looks good and what’s effective, and you need to be able to give helpful and insightful feedback.
We have lots of ideas for how we want content and marketing at Unifrog to develop, but you also need to come up with ideas.
- Making stuff happen
You need to be able to take an idea, run with it, and make it a reality, working with other people and overcoming any challenges along the way.
- Managing people
You need to be able to get the best out of the people you manage. Because of your high level of seniority, this will involve a fair amount of leadership – for example you’ll need to enthuse the people you manage to get behind a new project you are running.
- Project management
You’ll be creating and leading brand new, long-term, complex projects, involving multiple people, some of whom work externally to Unifrog.
- Data analysis
You won’t have to analyse data yourself, but you’ll need to be able to work with our data analysis team to make decisions about our content and marketing. You’ll need to think about what questions we need to answer, how they can be answered through data analysis, and then make decisions based on the analysis.
- Educationally and commercially minded
Our mission and our main goal, in everything we do (content and marketing included), is to create things that are helpful and useful for students. At the same time, you will also lead on developing revenue streams from our content - so you need to have an eye for what will work well commercially, and be able to balance those two objectives in the right way.
- Join one of ‘the best organisations to escape to in 2022’ and help transform careers and destinations in schools.
- Play a role in democratising access to learning: Unifrog makes a difference in young people’s lives. Every week you’ll have your work in front of hundreds of thousands of students, and tens of thousands of teachers.
- You’ll enjoy a significant degree of autonomy to run with your own ideas.
- Become part of a dynamic, and growing company. We want to build our team for the long term: if you do well, we will do our best to make sure you want to stay at the company for a long time. Professional development is important at Unifrog:
○ You will define your 6-month objectives and will be supported by your line manager and the rest of the team to achieve them.
○ You will have an annual training allowance to spend on what you need to grow and progress. As long as you are doing well in the role, and your line manager thinks the training makes sense for both you and the company, we’ll expect to fund whatever training you want.
- Influence the company’s direction: we love to promote great ideas, wherever they come from.
- We encourage good mental health and work life balance.
- For details of further benefits, please see the jobs page of our website.
- £60,000 per year (Grade E).
- Work remotely, or flexibly in our London office.
- 28 days paid holiday per year (plus bank holidays).
- Working hours: 8:30am to 5:30pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm, Monday to Thursday, and 9am to 4:30pm on Friday.
- Start date: as soon as possible, though we can be flexible for the right candidate.
- To discuss any details about the role before applying please contact Stephen (visit our website for details). Application process
- Deadline: 23:00 (UK) on Sunday 17th July 2022.
- To apply, please visit our website to:
- Submit one example of your best writing. It can be on any subject and for any purpose. Max 300 words.
- Write answers to the questions (250 words max each):
- Why do you want to work at Unifrog?
- What have you done that shows you have the skills you need for this role?
- Upload your CV.
- The next round of the application will include a content feedback and marketing task.
- Interviews will be held by Zoom, w/c 25th July 2022.