As Senior Media and Communications Manager you will shape and deliver ShareAction’s media strategy to support organisational objectives, line-managing junior colleagues and generating impactful coverage across a range of target media. Working with the Head of Communications, you will contribute to the development of ShareAction’s overall communications strategy and play a key role advising colleagues across the organisation on framing, messaging, tactics and risk. An excellent writer with strong news judgement and a network of journalist contacts, you will be responsible for identifying opportunities, drafting hard-hitting press releases and op-eds, managing reputation and evaluating performance.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll lead on the design and delivery of ShareAction’s media strategy, with support from the Head of Communications, and contribute to the wider communications strategy and annual business planning process.
- You’ll manage ShareAction’s press office including handling requests, responding to breaking news, drafting media products, pitching and uploading content to the website, monitoring coverage and providing regular analysis.
- You’ll line manage media/communications colleagues, supporting them to set objectives, deliver high-quality work and develop their skills.
- You’ll work with colleagues across the organisation to deliver an integrated digital and media communications plans to support the launch of major reports and campaigns activity.
- You’ll organise an effective out of hours system for media requests and risk management. Some out of hours working may be required to support report launches or respond to urgent media enquiries.
- You’ll keep abreast of relevant national, EU and international news and build and maintain productive relationships with key journalists, opinion shapers and commentators.
- You’ll monitor potential risks to ShareAction’s reputation, working with colleagues to manage as appropriate.
- You’ll develop ShareAction’s spokesperson strategy, ensuring a diverse and effective roster of spokespeople are well-trained and adequately briefed ahead of any media engagement. Act as a spokesperson where appropriate.
What you’ll bring to the team
- You’ll have experience of working at a senior level in a press office or as a journalist and a strong track record of securing positive coverage.
- You’ll have a proactive approach and excellent written and verbal communications skills, and be able to work efficiently under pressure in a fast-paced team and organisation.
- With knowledge of crisis communications and brand management, you’ll be able to play a key role championing ShareAction’s brand and raising our profile.
- You’ll be passionate about ShareAction’s mission and committed to our values of independence, courage, persistence, respect and inclusivity.
- With great line management experience and interpersonal skills, you’ll be able to build productive relationships with colleagues across the organisation and key external contacts.
- You’ll be able to design and deliver effective media strategies for diverse audiences that complement digital activity, and use tools to measure success.
Although not necessary it would be great if
- You bring a relevant professional qualification e.g. Chartered Institute of Public Relations
- You bring knowledge or experience of communications within a campaigning or advocacy organisation
- You’ve knowledge or experience of capital markets/the financial system
What we will do for you
- You’ll be part of an organisation working to make a meaningful difference tackling some of the world’s biggest social and environmental challenges.
- We offer opportunities for you to develop your skills and experience in a friendly, flexible and supportive working environment.
- You have space and support to really shape how we are viewed by the media u8.
Location: Hybrid - London/Home
Contract type: Permanent, Full time
Who it reports to: Head of Communications
Salary: £40,000 -£46,000 per annum, pro rata. Plus 8 per cent pension (non-contributory) and benefits including a healthcare scheme
Closing date: 9am17th August 2022
Interviews: There will be two rounds of interviews with the first round likely to be happening the week of 22nd August